Toyota Failing to start

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
XoeiX
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota

Toyota Failing to start

Post by XoeiX »

Good Morning gents

I seem to have a problem with my 2000 model hilux bakkie. so basically what happened was I was driving in town and the bakkie got all jumpy and then died, failing to start i was under the impression that it might be a petrol transfer problem and got a friend to tow me to my place. Getting home i started following petrol fuel lines and replaced my pump and filter, by testing it i saw enough petrol is coming through and that this was not the case. Afterwards i started with the injectors and cleaned them and made sure they were fitted correctly. I also replaced all the rubber on the injectors and made sure there is no leak on them. I then did a normal service on it replacing the air filter and spark plugs as well whilst busy working on it. Once again i have tried starting it without success, the engine continues cranking and there is no sign of idle or starting. Seeing this i have cleaned the throttle body and the maf sensor as well and there is still no sign of life whatsoever.

The next thing i was thinking is could it be the cold start causing the problem ? if it is where do i locate the cold start sensor so that i can clean/replace that as well ? Another question is could it be the immobilizer seeing that my sentral locking isnt working anymore due to the sensor there ? if that is the case is there a way to disable it and unlock the bakkie with the key and last can it be the ecu or the maf sensor not sending data through correcly ?

Please any advice will be appreciated as i have been struggling a month to get it started and I am running out of options quickly

Kind Regards
Dean
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Toyota Failing to start

Post by Mud Dog »

Could be the immobilizer. First check and see if you're getting spark to the plugs by removing one and lay it on the motor whilst connected to the lead. Then you'll know if it's fuel related or electric / electronic.

I had a "won't start / won't fire" problem with my Rav - totally dead. By fluke I tried it with the spare key and walla, it started immediately. The transponder in the one key was no longer working. Just check that as well.

I hope it's just something simple.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

This can be a tricky one to solve. Immobilizers can cause those symptoms. I would first try to find out how to bypass the immobilizer.

The other thing that could cause this is if the crankshaft position sensor has failed. It is a hall sender located somewhere on the block near the crankshaft. Not too sure on your engine. If the engine management system does not get a signal it will not know when to spark.
Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: durban
Vehicle: D4D hilux DC $X$

Post by Lorry »

check your distributor that it hasn't broken or jumped out of position.
XoeiX

Post by XoeiX »

Hi guys thanks a million for the advice i will have a look as soon as i get home
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

If its a 2.7 IFS check your Ecu Fuse in the fusebox in the engine compartment.
XoeiX

Post by XoeiX »

hey guys so im back again... it seems that on the side where the security light is that there is a slot to put the remote that disables the immobilizer so i cancel that out as on of my problems, on what LouisZ said i have changed the relays of the efi and the ecu fuses still with no luck. I have noticed something strange today, it is almost as the engine wants to fire but then misses and the cranking drops again. Trying to start it after all the changes and checks i performed i noticed that after a few of seconds trying to start my revs run up to 600 and just before the bakkie takes it drops down to 0 again ? I have started my stripping earlier tonight and found the crankshaft sensor as Mars mentioned and took it out... it seems like on some parts there is some burned oil but what i found interesting is that the top part has a few minor dents and bumps in it... what are the chances that this might be my problem ?
Mars
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

It is quite easy to check the hall sender. Just measure the resistance over the sender. I don't know what the value of that specific one should be but you can probably find it using Google. It is to be expected that it would have some oil on it and minor dents and scratches should not influence the functioning.

Return to “The Workshop”