3L D4D Fuel Problem / Cutting out

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Andrew Schmidt
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Meadowbrook
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3 D4D 4X4 D/C

3L D4D Fuel Problem / Cutting out

Post by Andrew Schmidt »

Hi All,

Vehicle specs: 2013 Vigo 3L D4D 136000 odd on the clock. This is now the second time this has happened at low fuel levels. Fuel gauge is 3/4rs below the ¼ tank level and in tonight’s case the range was still 60km to go which according to my refuelling history there should be at least 15 litres in the tank.
At low revs I started losing power and when I limped it off the highway she died at the traffic light. Primed the nonsense out of her but there was no pressure build up. Had her towed to the petrol station, threw some juice in and after numerous priming and starting attempts she finally got going again.

I know the obvious statement here is that I ran out of fuel, however, my questions to the boffins are;

1. Are the gauge and range estimate out? And can they be re calibrated (Please note that this is not consistent as I have driven this car to about 5 kms left on the range recently and there was still 7 litres in the tank - yes I keep a log book) = no problems

2. Is there a bigger problem at hand here like sludge in the tank, blocked fuel line or blocked filter (No warning on the dash though?)

A penny for all your solutions :surrender:

Thanks all
Andrew Schmidt
KZ-TE 2x4 D/C WLH 914 GP - Fatally injured by a Cement Truck
2005 Nissan Hardbody 3L TD 4X4 Double cab - SWJ 947 GP The Silver Bullet!!!!- Sold
Toyota Hilux 3 D4D D/C 4X4 CK 43 SB GP Needless to say anymore...
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Re: 3L D4D Fuel Problem / Cutting out

Post by Jaws »

I know of a few D4d where the fuel gauge gets stuck before empty. Fix is to replace the instrument cluster.

You probably ran out of fuel although it indicates that there is fuel left in the tank
:thumbup:
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Just to clarify. So when it stalled you were still supposed to have 15 liters in the tank and you say this based on how far you can normally travel on a tank of diesel? Did you then check how much diesel it took to fill it up as this would also indicate if there was still 15 liters left?

I'm not 100% convinced that it is the fuel gauge.
The fact that you struggled to prime the system points to the potential problem. It could be a dirty diesel filter but like you say the filter warning light should be on. It could be due to sludge or dirt in the tank but the pickup should pick up the sludge even if the tank is full.

One thing you can consider is to remove the diesel filter and closely inspect it to see if there is any dirt or rubbish accumulated there. This will already tell you if there is sludge and will eliminate one of the possible issues. I would not put the old filter back once removed though as there is too much of a risk of contaminants getting into the clean diesel so it would be better to then install a new filter.

It could also be the fuel filter housing/bleed pump assembly that is giving trouble. My brothers 3.0 D4D also did the same thing (although not with a low tank) where it took a lot of pumping to get the system bled and on pressure so that the bakkie would start. You actually had to keep on pumping the primer pump whilst cranking the engine for it to eventually start. I suspect you have a similar problem. The solution is also easy. A brand new unit at Toyota is not that expensive (it cost about R1200 a while back) and considering the fact that it comes with a new filter element already installed the price is actually surprisingly fair. Replacing the unit is probably your best bet at this stage as it eliminates two potential issues in one go but hey its not my money.

You could first drive the bakkie to empty again and check it the gauge is indeed sticking but you run the risk of breaking down again.

Hope this helps.
Andrew Schmidt
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Meadowbrook
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3 D4D 4X4 D/C

Post by Andrew Schmidt »

Hi All,

It is the cluster. Had all of the aforementioned checked. A nice R 4013 to replace and the OD get reset to "0"

Thank you for the advice
Andrew Schmidt
KZ-TE 2x4 D/C WLH 914 GP - Fatally injured by a Cement Truck
2005 Nissan Hardbody 3L TD 4X4 Double cab - SWJ 947 GP The Silver Bullet!!!!- Sold
Toyota Hilux 3 D4D D/C 4X4 CK 43 SB GP Needless to say anymore...
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Glad you got it sorted.
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Post by Jaws »

Andrew Schmidt wrote:Hi All,

It is the cluster. Had all of the aforementioned checked. A nice R 4013 to replace and the OD get reset to "0"

Thank you for the advice
You still owe me a penny :-)
:thumbup:

Return to “The Workshop”