Engine limp mode,now dead

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
RNel3
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: 05 Nissan hardbody 3.3 v6 4X4 ; 15 Fortuner 3.0 d4d 4x4 A/T

Engine limp mode,now dead

Post by RNel3 »

Hi guys, I bought a 2012 3.0 D4D 2 weeks ago, and today after doing the hennops 4x4 really relaxed and carefully (as I'm still getting used to the bakkie), we concluded our day with a chat at the gate. When I started to drive off the bakkie went into limp mode and the engine light came on. Drove about 10 km and had it towed home .

Started him up,pulled off the truck and parked in the garage, when I wanted to start him again he swings but engine light is off and won't fire up.

Please help need to get the swambo to middelburg tomorrow... :slap:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Engine limp mode,now dead

Post by Mud Dog »

Hopefully one of the diesel heads that know the D4D will be able to help. Not perhaps a dirty particulate filter? :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pieta.swanepoel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2017 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 SR 4x4 SC

Post by pieta.swanepoel »

My dieselpump died on me recently. Bakkie drove perfectly well, started loosing power, I pulled of the road to investigate and that was it. Engine died and wouldn't start again even though starter worked. I knew it was fuel related and not electrical.

If a workshop plugged their diagnostic tool in it would show up what is wrong. Good luck
Groot berge en lang grondpaaie
Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: durban
Vehicle: D4D hilux DC $X$

Post by Lorry »

Hi.
Do you have a chip fitted to your hilux, mine sometimes goes into limp mode. manly after 4x4 trips, The wire connectors come loose, I pull them out and refit them and the problem goes away.In saying this. check the fuel rail connector as well as the butterfly throttle position connector. Air flow meter connector, unplug check clean if required and refit. also maybe disconnect the battery for about a min i may be wrong here but i recall reading somewhere this helps reset everything.
these are some simple checks that you can do, check when last the fuel filter was changed.
Your best bet is to get someone to come and plug in a diag,machine and do a fault find.
hope this helps.
RNel3
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by RNel3 »

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback, im going to have the mechy come and have a look, bought the only dud toyota in the world apparently

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Any luck Rhyno?
RNel3
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by RNel3 »

Hi , no not yet toyota are coming now for the 3rd time with the computer to come and find the problem

RNel3
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by RNel3 »

So after a very long, session on the pc, they found that the ECU has gone, but all they actually did was start the bakkie, so im back to sqaure one....

muki
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4d D/C 4x4 A/T

Post by muki »

Does your engine light come on when you out on ignition? Do you have a dual battery system or similar? My friend hilux died twice in a two week span. We traced it to a voltage spike from a cheap dual battery system. Blew the ECU. Had to have the system reporgrammed and then you have to mate the ECU and engine . Haven't had issues since removing the dual battery thing.

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

RNel3
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by RNel3 »

muki wrote:Does your engine light come on when you out on ignition? Do you have a dual battery system or similar? My friend hilux died twice in a two week span. We traced it to a voltage spike from a cheap dual battery system. Blew the ECU. Had to have the system reporgrammed and then you have to mate the ECU and engine . Haven't had issues since removing the dual battery thing.

Hi Muki,no dual battery system,but it does drain the battery .. its going to toyota in the morning and they have to have a look as to what caused this and what would be the way forward.. luckily its at the dealers expense.

muki
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4d D/C 4x4 A/T

Post by muki »

RNel3 wrote:
muki wrote:Does your engine light come on when you out on ignition? Do you have a dual battery system or similar? My friend hilux died twice in a two week span. We traced it to a voltage spike from a cheap dual battery system. Blew the ECU. Had to have the system reporgrammed and then you have to mate the ECU and engine . Haven't had issues since removing the dual battery thing.

Hi Muki,no dual battery system,but it does drain the battery .. its going to toyota in the morning and they have to have a look as to what caused this and what would be the way forward.. luckily its at the dealers expense.

Hope you get it sorted. Sounds like you have a parasitic current draw which is also causing the ECU to pop. Hope you get a good technician who is able to think a bit

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

muki wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:44 am Hope you get a good technician who is able to think a bit

The unfortunate thing these days is that techs are like cooks....they only follow the recipe, so if it is "not in the computer" they can't find the fault , and according to the flow diagram it is then automatically driver abuse.
Mars

Post by Mars »

I'm quite intrigued Rhyno. So did they manage to get the bakkie started? What error codes did they pick up from the ECU?
RNel3
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by RNel3 »

Mars wrote:I'm quite intrigued Rhyno. So did they manage to get the bakkie started? What error codes did they pick up from the ECU?
Hi all, they picked up a ecu fault the problem is as I understand it the bakkie has 2, and they cant tell which on it is...

Toyota fully booked today and can only help me tommorow...

Mars

Post by Mars »

Ok. Hope you get it sorted out quickly.
RNel3
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by RNel3 »

Oky so , the official feedback from Toyota is the turbo went... @ 31 big ones to replace its quite costly... anybody on the forum had similar problems/have had a turbo go on their hilux??? It just seems like the turbo cannot be the sole cause....

Helppp

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

:blink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Lorry »

Hi.
sounds very strange, if a turbo went the engine should still start. Something else , if a turbo goes ,huge amounts of black smoke would have been coming from the exhaust due to over fuleing and no power. my only other thing i can think of and it has happened to a friend of mine after 4x4 ing his fuel filter blocked up from all the gunk that came dislodged in his fuel tank and blocked up his fuel filter. Have the Filters been checked and the you primed, check the diesel primer hand pump.
Mars

Post by Mars »

Yes I must agree. That sounds very strange. Normally a turbo that is on it's way out will start whining as well before it completely fails and even then the bakkie should start and drive but feel hugely under powered.
RNel3
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by RNel3 »

Hi guys, i agree the bakkie is running and drives but has zero power and in limp mode but no smoke and had no whine... all is indeed very strangrle with this one

Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

If the turbo has gone it will not smoke. It will only have no power. ECU will not add fuel if no boost is detected so no smoke if turbo gone. Only pre ECU models will smoke.
Image Link Broken
Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Lorry »

Ask the dealership to pull up the bakkies service record on their system and try and see what ever if any repairs had been done to your van when it was in warranty so maybe it had an issue before that has now come back.

Return to “The Workshop”