Reverse lights not working

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Hilux Heap
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: '93 Hilux Raider 4x4 DC. Basic offroad frt bumper with Warn Tabor 9k winch, Roll bar, Towbar, std half door fiberglass canopy with roofrack. 2x 65 lt fuel tanks, 31x10.5R15 HT tyres

Reverse lights not working

Post by Hilux Heap »

Hi Ya'll

Since I bought my bakkie about 3 weeks ago, the reverse ligfhts is not working. I replaced the reverse light switch, and it's still not working. What could be the problem? I checked all the fuses and globes :thumbup: .

Could it be that the selector is not pushing back far enough to engage the reverse light switch? If so, how do I set the selector?

Looking forward to your advice.
Image,Image

You only have ONE LIFE!! Live it........................... with a Hilux!!!!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Reverse lights not working

Post by Mud Dog »

Check continuity from the pin on the switch to earth. It should be continuous when reverse is engaged. If not it's either the switch or a problem in the box.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hilux Heap
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: '93 Hilux Raider 4x4 DC. Basic offroad frt bumper with Warn Tabor 9k winch, Roll bar, Towbar, std half door fiberglass canopy with roofrack. 2x 65 lt fuel tanks, 31x10.5R15 HT tyres

Post by Hilux Heap »

Hi Guys,

I managed to find my 12v test light and did what Andy said. The switch turned out to be fine, so I decided to take some time and test the wires, with the test light, from the switch to the tail lights, on various places. Everywhere I tested I got power. I cleaned the globe holders again (did it when I got the bakkie), and still no reverse.

Then I decided to remove the entire tail light and strip it down.

It turned out that the positive wire in the plug on the back of the tail light did not make contact. Once fixed, the lights are working just fine.

Thanks for the advice though.

Cheers
Image,Image

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Glad you got it sorted. Most light related problems are close to or in the cluster or the harness connector plugs. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hilux Heap
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Hilux Heap »

:thumbup:
Image,Image

Return to “The Workshop”