265/75 R16 dont fit SFA

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Farmerbrown
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Mooi River KZN
Vehicle: 96 SFA D/C 4x4 2.4

265/75 R16 dont fit SFA

Post by Farmerbrown »

Hi guys and gals .

I have been battling to find 15inch second hand tyres ..

So I found a set of 16" toyota rims and found some cruiser tyres 265/75 R16 . My problem is now that they touching the chassis and leaf springs at the back .. Do I put in 5 or 10 mm spacers ?
Or do I scrap the idea completely ? The SFA has been lifted so the wheel arches are fine with space ..

If i do put small wheel spacers in , Where can I find some narrow ones , Or could I get them made from some old planting discs ?
2.4 1996 SFA D/C
2.5 2015 hardbody 4x4 S/C
2013 Everest 4x2
2.5 2012 AWD Kuga(SOLD)
yz250 2 stroke
tw 200 farm bike
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 265/75 R16 dont fit SFA

Post by Mud Dog »

Personally I would have stayed with the 15" rims - gives more tyre profile vs 16" for the same diameter tyre. This equates to a slightly more comfortable ride (more air cushioning) and allows for a bigger footprint when airing down - one doesn't need to air down too dramatically which in turn reduces the possibility of de=beading a tyre.

Furthermore, I don't like the idea of spacers too much either - safety issue. If you do go with spacers then go for the absolute best quality you can find (4x4Direct used to stock some decent ones). But here's the thing, with spacers the rims no longer locate on the landing that's machined onto the hub - this landing centralises the rim as well as bears load. With most spacers, the spacer bears the load and the actual rim's load is borne entirely by the studs - not ideal. If however the spacer has a landing for the rim machined into it's design, that's a whole lot better.

Some food for thought. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Malcom,

I am thinking your problem is with the offset with the rim rather than the size of the tyre here as it is touching the leafspring edge on full lock turns. This is telling me the rims that your are currently have fitted is to positive in off set and thus is scrubbing on the inside.

I cannot understand why you are struggling to get 15" tyres as the Hilux Raiders 4x4 were specified with either 31x10.5R15 tyres or 265/75R15 tyres, both which is the same size.
Mud Dog wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:15 am Personally I would have stayed with the 15" rims - gives more tyre profile vs 16" for the same diameter tyre. This equates to a slightly more comfortable ride (more air cushioning) and allows for a bigger footprint when airing down - one doesn't need to air down too dramatically which in turn reduces the possibility of de=beading a tyre.
Andy I disagree with you on this as a 15 tyre 265/75 will be having the exact sidewall height than the 16" tyre. The overall diameter will be increased from 15" which measures at 779mm compared to the 16" that is 804mm, thus the difference is the 1 inch. So both tyres will have the same ground contact area and footprint when aired down, also ride comfort will be the same (provided both size tyres are the same brand and specs).

The 22R is going to battle more to turn those 16" tyres (which equates to an almost 32 inch tyre, 31.6 to be accurate) than the 15" 31" tyres.

Malcom I do agree with Andy on staying with 15" tyres and rims with the SFA 22R Hilux. It makes the best allround compromise, as you will find once loaded a bit the Hilux will struggle on open road driving with the 16 inch tyres.
Johan Marais
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Andy I disagree with you on this as a 15 tyre 265/75 will be having the exact sidewall height than the 16" tyre. The overall diameter will be increased from 15" which measures at 779mm compared to the 16" that is 804mm, thus the difference is the 1 inch. So both tyres will have the same ground contact area and footprint when aired down, also ride comfort will be the same (provided both size tyres are the same brand and specs).

Johan, yes, in this case you would be right IRO the profile height because of the 1" larger diameter - my comment referred to the same outer tyre diameter, (I didn't calculate the profile, but Malcolm is referring to a 265/75 R16 tyre, i.e. 16" rim).

I do also agree that the 31" diameter is the best all rounder for a standard SFA with either 4Y or 22R motor. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Farmerbrown
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Mooi River KZN
Vehicle: 96 SFA D/C 4x4 2.4

Post by Farmerbrown »

Thank you very much for your time and comments . I really appreciate it ..
My very limiting factor in this transition is finances .. I would love to put on some 31" tyres onto my 15" rims .. But sourcing second hand cheap tyres basically to keep her roadworthy at the moment .. Is very very difficult . If I were to find some cheap second hand tyres up in GP province .. The courier or freight to get them to me is =-R1500 bucks ontop of the cost of tyres .

So me trying the 16" rims is really me just trying to make an affordable switch ..
1st prize .. Second hand 15'

I am not happy with putting spacers to widen the tracks . But just trying to make some tyres fit at the moment .

I really do appreciate the in put from you Andy and Johan
2.4 1996 SFA D/C
2.5 2015 hardbody 4x4 S/C
2013 Everest 4x2
2.5 2012 AWD Kuga(SOLD)
yz250 2 stroke
tw 200 farm bike
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I hear what you're saying and assumed as much. Safety is not something to be trifled with, but as an interim solution you might get away with the 10mm spacers from Midas on the front wheels.

However, be very aware that such an arrangement could potentially be unsafe and exercise cognitive awareness of such when driving - avoid heavy braking and sideway stresses on those wheels as much as you can until you can get some affordable 31" tyres for your 15" rims. Remember also to periodically check those front wheel nuts.

Return to “The Workshop”