2017 2.8 GD Hilux Alternator

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

2017 2.8 GD Hilux Alternator

Post by WayneSchalk »

So my old man took delivery of his new Hilux 2.8 GD 4x4 just in time for his trip to Thuli game reserve. This did not give us much time to fit the dual battery but we did run the cables to the back so that his caravan can charge whilst driving. He has the HCDP panel fitted in the caravan. One quick weekend trip to the dam and everything seemed to charge and do what is was supposed to do.

But now he is in Thuli and the report back is that the panel trips out if he plugs in to charge from the bakkie. Apparently the voltage on the panel goes up to about 16v before shutting down.

This has made me wonder if the new Hilux is not fitted with one of those intelligent or ECU-controlled alternators. I cannot find too much on this and hope to get some insight if it is the case and how to remedy the situation?

My only other thought might be that the HCDP panel might be faulty as the NL fridge also picks up that the voltage goes up and then switches off with an error.....

Any advice?
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Re: 2017 2.8 GD Hilux Alternator

Post by LouisZ »

Yes the new Hilux do have the Intelligent Alternator in

With the National Luna solenoid ground the negative wire(Thin black wire) to the chassis. Not to the battery. This will give of resistance and let the Ecu think there will be load on the battery.

Not sure if it solve the HCDP problem too. Do the HCDP got input for the solar panel or is it a straight DC to DC charger? If it do not have the solar panel input you have to get a Solar Voltage Regulator that will step down the input voltage of the panel.
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by WayneSchalk »

Thanks Louis. Its a dual dc to dc and solar.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by WayneSchalk »

So I have managed to get some information from an Australian website. It would seem like the Ctek Dual and even the HCDP might be problematic on the new Hilux with this ECU controlled Alternator. All that is achieved with this ECU alternator is better fuel economy and lower emissions. What it does is actually shut down the alternator when the battery is full or at times the voltage will vary depending on the main battery state of charge. This of coarse completely messes around the DC-DC charger.

I'm sure in time the necessary changes will be made and a new model DC-DC charger will be available. But for now, what to do....

https://www.redarc.com.au/faq-tech-tips ... performanc
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Divorce the two batteries and charge the 2nd one with a solar panel and relatively cheap Phocos controller from 4x4Direct. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: durban
Vehicle: D4D hilux DC $X$

Post by Lorry »

Hi.
I fitted a dual battery system in my Hilux 2006 for over two years now.
The unit I fitted is the intelligent solenoid along with the Dual battery controller which is must.
The thing I like about it is the way it works. It will only receive charge after 5 min of driving allowing the starter battery to charge, then it switches over "links" the batteries and then starts to charge the dual battery. if it detects the starting battery dropping down to less than 12,5 volts it cuts the link and then starts the process over again after charge has been raised again in the starter battery. When you switch off the batteries remain linked until a certain voltage level in the starter battery or after 5 min, then it disconnects so that you will always have a charge to start up and the aux systems will run off the dual battery. The Controller unit allows you to manually link the the two batteries, if you are winching or your starter battery is flat and you need a boost you push a button and the battries will be linked for 5 min then it disconnects again. it also has voltage indicators so that you can see what the charge is doing and to which battery as well as an alarm if the voltage in the dual battery runs low or becomes disconnected.
for me it works like a dream and i have had no issues with it.
hope this helps.
cheers
LT

Return to “The Workshop”