Carbon Canister

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Carbon Canister

Post by pietpetoors »

When is the vacuum pipe going from the solenoid valve to the carbon canister supposed to suck?

When my trokkie idle there is vacuum from the hose running to the valve but no vacuum from the valve to the canister.

What will happen if I cannect the vacuum directly to the carbon canister, bypassing the valve?
Carbon Canister
Carbon Canister
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion Gauteng
Vehicle: Mazda Rustler 16v

Re: Carbon Canister

Post by MCHILUX »

The engine ecu will only activate the valve under certain conditions. If you bypass it could suck fuel through to the engine . Please dont
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

OK, thanx for warning me.
Sometimes there is a kwaai fuel smell around that vehicle, especially on a hot day. Is it possible that the canister can be broken or something? Or maybe that the valve do not open under certain conditions?
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by MCHILUX »

Is the smell from the engine bay or at the back? Is there a long range tank fitted
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Not sure where it comes from, smell it when I sit inside the vehicle. There is no long range tank fitted.
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by MCHILUX »

Hi Piet check the filler cap seals condition.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

ok, thanx, will do.
brianc
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Reebok Kleinbrakrivier
Vehicle: 2002 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 s/c + Canopy Caravan; Suzuki Brezza

Post by brianc »

I copied this from a previous post on the Hilux Forum - FYI
Subject: HILUX PETROL BREATHER OPERATION

"Operation

The evaporative emission control system prevents the release of unburned hydrocarbons from the liquid gasoline vapor into the atmosphere. Evaporative fuel vapor from the tank is routed to the charcoal canister located in the engine compartment. The charcoal canister stores the vapor until the engine coolant reaches 54 degrees Celsius. When the engine coolant as above this temperature and the throttle is open, a vacuum switching valve opens to allow vapors trapped inside the canister to enter the intake manifold.

Fuel cap gasket
All vehicles require the replacement of the fuel filter cap gasket at 60 000 miles, to maintain the integrity of the evaporative emission control system. The gasket is important in sealing the filler neck and keeping the vapors from the tank routed through the vapor emission system."
(Chilton Toyota Pick-Ups/Land Cruiser/4Runner 1997-00 repair manual)

"Vapor pressure sensor
The vapor pressure sensor is used to monitor the fuel tank pressure or vacuum during the OBDII test portion for emissions integrity. This test scans the various sensors and output actuators to detect abnormal amounts of fuel vapors that may not be purging into the canister and/or the intake system for recycling. The vapor pressure helps the ECM monitor this pressure difference inside the tank.

Check
Poor Idling, stalling and poor drivability can be caused by an inoperative check valve, damaged canister, split or cracked hose or hoses or hoses connected to the wrong fittings. Check the fuel filler cap for damaged or deformed gasket"
(Haynes Repair Manual Toyota Tacoma, 4Runner & T100)
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Interesting.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

hi Pieter,

i have the same problem, mine was "bypassed" adn petrol would actually squired out into the engine bay(very dangerous in my opinion) i have since reconnected it. i on the otherhand have a 2nd tank. so i still get the Petrol stench on hot days.
I was told the unit is blocked. someday when i can afford the unit i will need to replace it i think.
brianc
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Reebok Kleinbrakrivier
Vehicle: 2002 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 s/c + Canopy Caravan; Suzuki Brezza

Post by brianc »

The breather on my second tank is connected into the filler neck so it remains a closed system.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

When you have a second fuel tank then the volume of fuel is to big to be handled by the system and you will get fumes escaping on a hot day. Common problem when longrange tanks are fitted and an even bigger issue if fitted to a bakkie that is open. The sun bakes the back of the bakkie, heat transfers to the tank..........problem!!!!!

The OEM tank is not as susceptible to sun heat as the extra tanks normally are.
Image Link Broken
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

Resurrecting a long dead thread here:

My charcoal canister in my 3RZ has started making weird noises. I'm guessing that it's klaar. I also have a long range tank fitted so I'm guessing that I'm exceeding its capacity entirely anyway. Is there any reason I couldn't just vent the tank to air? Obviously with a filter to keep the big chunks of gunk out of the tank.
Toyota want 6k for a replacement filter, which as I understand from the above posts would be under-specc'd anyway.
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

A fuel smell when the vapor expands is the only good reason. All the old cars vented into air. At the moment my carbon filter is not connected.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

Thanks
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold