Lexus v8 stalls

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
beefmaster
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1996 SFA V8 D/C
Club VHF Licence: B54

Lexus v8 stalls

Post by beefmaster »

Hi guys,

I'm new here, I did go post a photie on the meet the people section ;)

Got my hilux today, a 96 SFA with 1UZ non-VVTi, anyway, noticed a problem.

When I drive in 1sst gear slowly, like in traffic, then press the clutch, the engine stalls. It doesn't do this in other gears but when I press the clutch the revs drop VERY low, in 1st it stalls altogether. Engine turns many times before restarting again. Running spitronics management. Any clues? Engine was at running temp the whole time this happened.

Thanks!

Gavin
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Lexus v8 stalls

Post by Mud Dog »

Sounds like a mapping problem or faulty idle control valve, but I could be wrong. Let's see what comments the are from the guys that have more experience with these conversions.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Agree with Andy....friend's Lexus also battles to start when hot but no icv...not sure if he had it on the dyno yet. He's running n Gotech ecu though.
Also look at the temp sensor and the calibration table..Dictator has diff temp sens tables but I'm not sure how the Spitronics ecu works.
TOYOTA 4YEFI
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Land Cruisr 80

Post by TOYOTA 4YEFI »

it can be that you icv is dirty or rusted it is a common fault on those motors some of the can be serviced. it can also be that the throttle adjustment is not right give me a call and ill explain to you hove to adjust it my number is 07two228two8five2
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Juan are you referring to the TPS sensor calibration or a mech adjustment?
TOYOTA 4YEFI
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Land Cruisr 80

Post by TOYOTA 4YEFI »

Mech ajustment what normaily happens is the idle control valve needs to do all the work and it is a bit slow to pick the revs up quick enough but there is a couple of things you can do to counter this ie udjusting the throtlle to get the idleing to lets say 500 rpm and then let the icv just pick it up the last 100 rpm in other words the motor needs to be able to idle high enough without the icv connected, another thig is to adjust the timing on the ecu so that when the rpm drops past 500 the timing advances shus picking up the revs. i had the same problem on two hiluxes and that sorted it out and even when you put is in drive the revs dont drops that much

Return to “The Workshop”