4.0 V6... Is this normal?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
tecsol
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: East London
Vehicle: 2007 Prado 120 V6

4.0 V6... Is this normal?

Post by tecsol »

Just got a 2006 4.0L V6 with 270,000km. Never had a Hilux before, I am not mechanically minded, and am comparing with my previous owned 2007 4.0 V6 Nissan Pathfinder...

Wondering if the following is normal for the Hilux?

- When AC off, the external normal fan air is very warm, even if the outside temp is cool. It's cooler to switch off fan and wind down Windows. Normal?

- Centre console carpet by driver & front passengers feet is hot after a few minutes driving. Normal?

- The engine is noisy/clicky under acceleration. Sounds like tappet noise? Normal?

- It is reasonably powerful but compared to the Pathfinder about 30/40% underpowered. Wondering if CATs need clearing - how would I know? Normal?

Thanks for any feedback...
Jaans
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2005 4L V6 DC Hilux; Pajero Sport 2.5 4x4 M/T

Re: 4.0 V6... Is this normal?

Post by Jaans »

Hi Dale

Does not sound normal. Mine does not have the same issues. On the possible power issue I do not know because I have never driven a Nissan 4L. But at 270000km it not a bad idea to remove the cats.
1 Kor 1:18 " Die boodskap van die kruis van Christus is wel onsin vir die wat verlore gaan, maar vir ons wat gered word, is dit die krag van God."
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Sounds to me like the heater valve is stuck open, meaning that the heater will stay on no matter where the console lever is positioned. At 270000km it's very likely the cats are blocked. The clicking sound is possibly noisy injectors, which is a known issue on the 1st gen v6 engine. Could try injector cleaner, or maybe have them ultrasonically cleaned. Does the vehicle have full service history?
sir shrek
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: '09 Hilux D/C 4.0 V6 AKA 'BULLET' Hilux D/C 7M-GE aka SIR SHREK(SOLD) Jetta MK5 2.0TFSI

Post by sir shrek »

Does not sound normal to me. My V6 pulls like crazy and no warm air in the cabin. Also the carpets does not get warm
3" suspension lift 31" bfg muds dual fuel tanks custom bushbar 7M-GE
Rear Diff Lock Custom made snorkel
UGLY LIKE SHREK,STRONG LIKE RUSSIA
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

Dale..I don't know about the pre 2009 models,
but the one I have is push buttons on the console. So I guess the vents and valves is controlled by
small electric motors. Could be that one of those motors is not working and keeping a vent open.
Could be as simple as checking all fuses.
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
Changes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: HC 285

Post by Changes »

What on earth are CATS...??
Do not BRAND bash...!!!
Landi is not a brand.. :lmao:
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

catalytic converters, located in the exhaust pipe. Or it could also be this :lol:

Image Link Broken
Image Link Broken
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Floor pan on my SFA also gets warm due to stainless exhaust running on passenger's side.
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Knuppel wrote:catalytic converters, located in the exhaust pipe. Or it could also be this :lol:

Image Link Broken
Of which there are four, The lower two is easily accessible to be cut out. The two closer to the exhaust manifold have there internals removed insitu. About a 45 min job at an exhaust shop.
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!

Return to “The Workshop”