Another Truck Restoration Project

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Another Truck Restoration Project

Post by pietpetoors »

I first tried to restore this old lady about 37 years ago. The axle hangers broke off and chassis cracked, so I fixed it with pop rivets. Also repainted it.

This old lady could easily carry 6 bricks in her days.

This time I will do it a bit differently.

Last night stripped it down.
The side shafts are badly worn and will have to be replaced.
Chassis is still cracked at various places.

I need two hub caps, they are actually spring steel clips that clips over the shafts.
Lorrie (1).jpg
Lorrie (2).jpg
Lorrie (3).jpg
Lorrie (4).jpg
Lorrie (4).jpg (30.06 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
Lorrie (5).jpg
Lorrie (6).jpg
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Re: Another Truck Restoration Project

Post by pietpetoors »

Anybody know what make it is? When I got it, it was already an old toy, so it is much older than me.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Het gou iemand gevra wat ou karretjies ens versamel of hy dalk weet... sal laat weet
To God be the glory
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Hy sê dit lyk vir hom soos 'n ERF
To God be the glory
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Dalk eerder 'n Fordson Thames E4
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Awesome collectors item!! :thumbup:

Good luck with the restoration! :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Here is your truck (Tipper - Triang Transport - 1962) - http://www.catawiki.nl/catalogus/modela ... -transport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bfdb9bd0-ef43-012e-af9c-0050569439b1.jpg

You're missing the rear mud-flaps, front bumper, tip lever and steering wheel, but it looks like all the rest is still there.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

A better example ....

1294_l.jpg

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Ah Thanks, mine nether had the tail gate that could flip open, but it seems like it has been welded, maybe somebody changed it.

The mud flaps it never had since I owned it.

The flip lever I have and it is still working.

See those radiator grills looks bit different from mine and I remember mine had red cab with yellow lights but cannot remember what the colour of the load bin was. Thanx that helps a lot.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Pieter you may just be able to get those hub cap clips from Fastener Warehouse, next to GoodHopeSpares.

What is the diameter of those axles ? Maybe a piece of SS rod ?

Wat is jou plan met daai krake in die chassis ?
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Dankie Chris
Daai aste is 6mm

Ek gaan iemand soek met gasvlam en dan my ou baaldraad en gasvlam vermoëns onder die tafel uitkrap en hulle sweis. Toe ek agt was kon ek nog nie daai doen nie, nou kan ek. Ding is net om onge-galvaniseerde dun draad te kry. Anders brand ek die galvaniseering eers af en gebruik dan die draad.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I was going to say gas welding. Anyone with gas welding equipment will have gas welding rods and you only need a small piece. Good luck! :winkx:

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Pieter so wanneer kom jy n draai maak ?

Nie hier in L'Agulhas nie, by my in die garage ? En ja, ek het rods ook ..... die standaard rods. Sou dalk help om erens n dunner rod te kon kry. Maar dit is mos maar die operator wat dan net meer hitte op die rod moet plaas .... Kan selfs daai rod dunner timmer ....

Dalk net n paar stukkies DUN plaat soek om op te oefen voor jy dalk daai raampie seer maak ... Self te lank laas op sulke fyn goed gewerk, so jy kan maar die eer kry.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

[quote/]See those radiator grills looks bit different from mine and I remember mine had red cab with yellow lights but cannot remember what the colour of the load bin was.[quote]

The grilles also looked a bit different to me ... could be that they had a 'facelift' at some point. If you google images "Tipper Triang Transporter" you will see a number of variations but they all had the turquoise 'load bin'. :winkx:

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Look almost at the end of this page, mine is the South African version

http://www.triang.nl/300series.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also in the middle of the same page are some with other colour load bins.

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

And if you look at this page it seems like we used the Bedford grill in South Africa.

http://www.triang.nl/replacements.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Don't wanna be funny but our South Africa version looks the best by far.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Here is info about Tri-ang South Africa, I like the Sasol Truck
http://www.triang.nl/dollsprams.htm
300 series in South Africa
The Tri-ang 300 series made in South Africa are different from the U. K. trucks. Enjoy the below fantastic and very rare trucks !

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Interesting, thanks!

Looking at that steering mechanism immediately triggered a memory of playing with one of these trucks somewhere at a friend's home in my early days. I can remember steering the truck with the 'tongue' that sticks out a bit in front because the steering-wheel was a mission to get one's fingers in there. Wow! Amazing how seeing part of an image triggers a memory that's in the region of 50+ years old.

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I always tell my wife that if I said I am going to do something, I will do it, there is no reason to remind me about it every six months, I will do it.

So in Nov 2016 I did a metal forming course in Stellenbosh. I took the truck with. At the course I built a new chassis out of a normal flat sheet of steel and also panel beated the cab. I could panel beat the top nicely, but the sides and the edges of the top was a no go beecause of double layer steel and the seat inside which was attached to the doors.

Now, in Aug 2017 I have to paint parts for another project and decided it is time to paint the truck as well. It will be very special colours, the blu for the cab is leftover paint from my Pontiac's engine and red of the load bin is red paint from my Constantia.

I bought a paintbrush which I tested with the blue, but it is not as good as I want it to be, so I will still sand it down and fill some dents.
Start of new chassis
Start of new chassis
Chassis to be
Chassis to be
Cassis fitted
Cassis fitted
Panel beated cab
Panel beated cab
Blue Cab
Blue Cab
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Restoration of restomod?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm impressed with your chassis build - Well done! :thumbup:

I wouldn't even have thought of trying something like that and would probably have gone straight for the ox-acetylene torch since that's the direction more in line with my experience and abilities. Good to learn new crafts and techniques!

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Had some time this weekend to finish my Triang Truck
Triang-RSA (3).JPG
Triang-RSA (1).JPG
Triang-RSA (2).JPG
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Looks great Pieter! :thumbup:

(I would have had the headlights and grille re-chromed though. :D: )

Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Lyk baie mooi Pieter.
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

Post by JAMES399 »

Excellent resto, Pieter. Very nicely done.
- JAMES

Return to “The Workshop”