Cable sleeves

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6, relatively standard; for now...

Cable sleeves

Post by smokintyres »

Good Morning, after having removed the old cables between the starter and the secondary battery and finding most worn or full of sand etc, I find myself wondering if it is necessary and if there is a better product perhaps?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Jurgen10
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2009 Hilux 4.0 V6 Raider DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC239

Re: Cable sleeves

Post by Jurgen10 »

I'm busy wiring a Challenger Trailer and found this braided sleeving at Electraherz - a electrical supply shop in silverton:
Techflex.JPG
Techflex.JPG (32.71 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
Have not tested it , but I'm hoping that any dirt or sand that gets into the sleeve will just shake itself out because it is not completely closed / sealed. The sleeving is also used in wiring PC's and Servers.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Just plain old corrugated sleeving should do the trick I think?
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6, relatively standard; for now...

Post by smokintyres »

Thank you for your inputs Jurgen and Stef.

I had a look at braided sleeving, but am concerned that not everything that can enter through the mesh will also fall out again, adding to the abrasion?

The corrugated or convoluted sleeving is the one that was previously installed and wasn't looking all that good when I removed it. I was thinking of wrapping insulation tape all the way from the end to end to close the gap, but it will wear through somewhere and allow all kinds of dirt inside the sleeve again.

On the MacGyver@4xDIY Facebook page Louis mentioned the use of a good old hose pipe, which is what I think I'm going to use for now as it is fully closed along its length and the wall should be thick enough for a couple of years of wear.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

The length wise slit does have its pro's & cons...
Hose pipe will work, I'm just not a fan of stringing the cables through and it's difficult to route the cables neatly around tight bends, but on a shorter run :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Garden hose will be too stiff - there are many other tubing / hose options that are cheaper and more flexible as well. If you go the tubing route you could also seal off the ends a bit with tape to minimise dirt and moisture ingress. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Post by Rigger »

I agree that hose pipe is a bit stiff and its going to look a bit off with the green not blending in in an engine bay. There is black closed sleeving on the market in verious sizes. Its difficult to get the wires through if its longer than about 2m but nothing will then enter it. Close of the ends with heat shrink and you have a water tight harness

Return to “The Workshop”