Drag link hits U-bolt

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Kwisis
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux

Drag link hits U-bolt

Post by Kwisis »

Hi guys,

I decided to do some care and maintenance on my ride. One of the things i did was to replace the drag link due to the excessive steering play. The front leaf springs were also flattened out, and i though it would be a good idea to take it to the local "Spring worx" to reset. They added one leaf to the pack, and now the drag link hits the rear U-bolt, preventing it to turn left.

Has anyone dealt with this in the past? How did you overcome the problem?. Obviously i would try and get away from doing a cross over Hi-steer conversion, and i would not really want to remove the leaf that was recently added.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated....Please...
Attachments
drag link.JPG
drag link.JPG (36.22 KiB) Viewed 3290 times
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: Drag link hits U-bolt

Post by The Legend »

Eisch you are moving on thin ice.The bolt screwing into the draglink is far too out.It skould go in much deeper so that you can push the split through the holes.On the photo it looks if the bolt catch the u bolt.The rear u bolt should be flat on the top.Did they not put it wrong back?The flat one in front and the rond one rear?

You will also see that my leaf pack consist of 6 blades and the steering drag does not catch the u bolt
Attachments
DSC04479 (Small).JPG
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Kwisis
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Kwisis »

Tnx for the reply. The bolt was not fastened at this point yet. I will turn it in to the required depth for the split pin to fit. I just showed the pic to explain where it catches.

The U-bolts are the correct way around. It is the drag link outer casing that hits the u bolt not the screw, but thanks for the input
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Losen the u bolt nuts and see if you can not move the rear u bolt a bit to the rear so that the steering draglink do not catch it.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The U-bolt is incorrect. Check them all just in case they were mixed up by the fitters - that RHS rear bolt should be flatter on top. Otherwise go get a proper OME (not OEM) u-bolt from 4x4Megaworld who are the agents for OME. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Don't believe new U-bolts would solve the problem; it is the extra leaf that changes the angle of the drag link owing to the lift. You either need one of those adjustable drag links or you have to bend it in a press.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Stef, it's not so much the extra lift (you would get the same and worse angles under articulation). It's the new height of the leaf-pack with the extra blade that brings the U-bolts higher and closer to the draglink. The replacement bolt for this (RHS rearward) has a flattened out corner that allows the link end to pass without fouling. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

True... I did the axle move as well which definitely changed the angle as the axle moves closer to the steering box
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Had the same problem on my old SFA after installing OME suspension, and moving the axle forward to accommodate 33" tyres. Hoppy bent the draglink at the bottom so it cleared u bolt. He also had it engineered so that is was length adjustable to compensate for the axle being moved forward.

Found this pic of it from when I replaced the axle:
draglink.jpg
Andries
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Dordrecht
Vehicle: '94 2.2 4Y Hilux S/C, '87 2.2 4Y Hilux D/C

Post by Andries »

DRAAI DIE LINK OM HY HET N KORT EN N LANG KANT.

Return to “The Workshop”