Platkar problem

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Hilux DC 3.0 D -4D 4X4
Club VHF Licence: HC 136

Platkar problem

Post by Whisky »

I am aware that this is a 4x4 forum but you might just be able to give me some advice.

My SWAMBO's Opel Astra 1.9 Tdi has suddenly lost power. You can put your foot flat but the revs will not pick up. It also started smoking, black smoke when you change gears.

Had it at the dealers and they connected it to the computer. Came back and told me there is paraffin in the diesel. They did not test the diesel only looked at it and smelt it.

How do I now take this matter further. The car is currently parked in our garage, afraid to drive it now in case we cause more damage.

Where in East London can I have the diesel tested? If it does come out that there is paraffin in the diesel what proof do i have too be able to confront the fuel station owner. he will most probably refer it to the fuel company.

Some advise will be appreciated.

Ben
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: Platkar problem

Post by Mars »

First thing I would do is drain the fuel tank and fill it with diesel from another garage. This will quickly show you if it was indeed contaminated or mixed diesel. Keep a sample for analysis. If they find paraffin in the diesel I would report that garage owner to the supplier of his fuels. I must say that I doubt that paraffin mixed into the diesel would cause the car not to want to pick up revs at all.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Ben, you should also be able to open a Fraud case with the SAPS and insist that they call their Forensic guys to take samples of the Diesel in the bulk tank of the Garage concerned which should prove the case one way or another. The parafine is mixed with the diesel up in Africa as the parafine is normally much cheaper than diesel, thus increasing profits, hence FRAUD as you are being sold a substance which you are lead to believe that it is Diesel, but is in fact a mixture with parafine...
The bigger the parafine % mixed into the Diesel the bigger the profit...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Eish, Ben! Not sure where you can have it tested, but maybe the fuel supplier (Shell / Caltex / BP / Engen / etc.) can help or tell you where to go.

As already mentioned, I would also drain the tank as well as the diesel filter / fuel lines etc.

Hope you come right with this soon and that it's not a mechanical problem.

:winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

back in the day my dad DROVE the Isuzu on parafien - that was when we had the fuel embargo.

Today all the electronics dont like it ....

I would just drain it all and put in some diesel and pray there is no lasting problems ....

Return to “The Workshop”