Radiator water leaking inside cab at passanger side

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Marius Jonck
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Paarl WC
Vehicle: Optimus Prime - 99 Toyota Hilux 2700! 4x4

Radiator water leaking inside cab at passanger side

Post by Marius Jonck »

Hi all
I hope somebody can help me? I have radiator water leaking inside the bakkie at the bottom on the passanger side. I have taken apart the dash and everything to see if it is the heater that is leaking. There is no water leaking at the heater unit, but there is water dripping from the big black plastick box next to the fan housing (I think itis the aircon unit).Is the water leaking from the heater unit through the ducts to the aircon box, or does the water also circulate through the aircon,or only through the heater system?

If someone can help me with this I will really appreciate it.

Thanks
:beg:
PS: The vehicle is a 1999 2.7 Hilux 4x4
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Hilux DC 3.0 D -4D 4X4
Club VHF Licence: HC 136

Re: Radiator water leaking inside cab at passanger side

Post by Whisky »

Marius it is aircon water, have a look inside the engine bay there is an overflow pipe for the aircon. This pipe at times get blocked. Squeeze the pipe and also try and clean it with a soft small brush or wire.
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Marius I agree with Ben.I had the same problem.Try to push a soft type of electrical wire up the drain pipe.It will also help to try and force air up the pipe to clear the blockage.
Marius Jonck
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Marius Jonck »

Ben & Tony,
Thanks for your input, I have seen that little overflow pipe going out at the bottom of the aircon unit. I will check and clean it and come back to you with the results.

Regards
Marius Jonck
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Marius Jonck »

Hi guys, I check the overflow pipe and it is fine. I separated everthing and starter the bakkie and switched on the heater. The water is leaking though the heater unit and then drips out the bottom of the heater drip tray, the stream of water continues to flow wether the heater is on or off. This explains why the radiator is constantly looses water.

Is there any way to see what exactly is the problem, or do I just have to replace the complete heater unit?

Regards
Last edited by Marius Jonck on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Marius
As ek moet se dan is die jou heater radiator self wat lek of die heater radiator pype waar hulle vas kom aan die heater radiator.Wat net vir my snaaks is dat die lek nog steeds daar is as jy die heater af sit.Streng gesproke moet daar nie water deur die heater radiator sirkuleer as dit af is nie.Het jy getoets of jou heater valve control switch wel behoorlik oop en toe maak?

Intussen kan jy die heater radiator pype afblok om die water lek binne in die kajuit te stop totdat jy die probleem opgelos het.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Marius Jonck
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Marius Jonck »

The Legend wrote:Marius
As ek moet se dan is die jou heater radiator self wat lek of die heater radiator pype waar hulle vas kom aan die heater radiator.Wat net vir my snaaks is dat die lek nog steeds daar is as jy die heater af sit.Streng gesproke moet daar nie water deur die heater radiator sirkuleer as dit af is nie.Het jy getoets of jou heater valve control switch wel behoorlik oop en toe maak?

Intussen kan jy die heater radiator pype afblok om die water lek binne in die kajuit te stop totdat jy die probleem opgelos het.

Dankie Dawie, ek sal kyk daarna. Waar sit die heater valve control switch?
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Marius Jonck wrote:
The Legend wrote:Marius

Dankie Dawie, ek sal kyk daarna. Waar sit die heater valve control switch?
Marius,hy sit in die engine bay.Laat iemand binne in die kajuut die heater aan en af sit.Jy sal n kabel wat deur die firewall kom sien beweeg.Volg net die kabel ,dit is gekoppel aan die heater control valve.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The heater control valve just stops circulation, it does not seal against cooling system pressure, hence the still leaking whilst the heater is off. You will find that control valve under the hood against the firewall where the heater radiator is inside - you will see where the pipes go through the firewall.. To short circulate (bypass) the heater radiator, disconnect those two pipes from the heater and join them together with two clamps and a double sided swage nipple (I think it will be 20mm, but you would have to check).

Replace the radiator if it's the cause of the leak and reconnect the pipes to it once done.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Marius Jonck
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Marius Jonck »

Baie Dankie Dawie en Andy! Ek sal loer daarna! Ek sal laat weet wat ek vind.

Groete

Return to “The Workshop”