Cold Air Intakes Mythbusted

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Kaspaas
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Cold Air Intakes Mythbusted

Post by Kaspaas »

Opinions please??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:think: :think:
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Re: Cold Air Intakes Mythbusted

Post by 4x4BEES »

Cold air intakes make the car sound better and thus makes it feel faster and more powerful.
I still prefer it to the stock intake system
ThysdJ
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Cold air does work, but not on a turbo. The turbo heats the air up during the compression stage, which then gets cooled down by the intercooler... On a N/A vehicle cold air intakes do work. :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
ForYota
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: Sold my beloved Lux..

Post by ForYota »

So dan is n snorkel mos n goeie belegging, cool looks en meer effektief :dance1:
ImageImageImageImage

If I can't go in my Hilux I ain't Going
ThysdJ
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

'n snorkel is altyd 'n goeie belegging... punt... :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Cold air induction worked wonders on my normally aspirated EFi 4Y... dyno proved it!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Their test is not very scientific.
1st they take factory setup, get 165.5 , they do rerun and get 169

They then take the KN type and get 167.6, but they do not do a rerun? Why not?

Then they do cold air with the KN type, they get 169.8 and do not do a rerun, THEN they compare the cold air 169.8 with KN type's results with that of the factory setup and say there are no gain??? Seems like the test is meant to boost sensation rather than facts.

1. Compare apples with apples. If you compare KN type with cold air result with KN type the difference is about 2Kw
2. You cannot do a scientific test with less than 3 samples
3. The deviation between their 1st and second run on test 1 is about 3.5 KW, but if the difference between Cold with KN vs standard is 0.8 KW, then they call it no difference. In test 4 the deviation between run 1 and 2 is 0.8 Kw.

I did not look further than this because the test results are useless and poorly done.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

These guys are really funny.

WRT the air intakes. We have tried on a dyno. On my 86 i gained 2WKW with a drop in filter.

On my RunX with CAI it made a big difference (run in conjunction with a full mandrel bent exhaust and branch). I dont remember the figures but there were definite gains. + it screamed like a unicorn having an orgasm... hahahahha
Real drivers use three pedals
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Cool air = more dense air = more oxygen in chamber = better combustion = more power.

As for snorkel. I think if you have really old vehicle where intake is open inside the engine bay, it will suck in lots of hot air. Snorkel will be great improvement.

If you have newer vehicle where intake is inside fender in order to suck in colder air (and dust) then adding a snorkel will help to also breath..... cold air, the difference will not be that great, but you will see a difference, although small.

On a hot day, because of heat of the tar, it will be hotter under the fender than up there at the snorkel head, but the under fender temp will not be closely as high as the under bonnet temp.

So, me think the effect of a snorkel and cold air intake will differ from vehicle to vehicle, depending on where the original air intake is situated.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Cool air = more dense air = more oxygen in chamber = better combustion = more power.
Definitely agree, but as you say, it depends on where the original intake was by comparison to the snorkel head.
To my mind, in reality, the power gains are small and often not noticeable but the real benefit is cleaner air which saves the filter. A cleaner filter allows for better airflow and that means significant power gain / fuel efficiency over a period of time.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
hend
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Prado
Club VHF Licence: hend

Post by hend »

A 2kw gain on a basic power of 160 is just over 1%. Most dynos vannot provide repeatable results to an 1% repeatability. A 2kw gain is not proof of significant change

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Return to “The Workshop”