Hilux Vigo V6 - Engine Noise After Decat

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Hilux Vigo V6 - Engine Noise After Decat

Post by Mr_B »

Hi All,

When I purchased my bakkie the cats had already been removed. Of course I did enjoy the enhanced performance and deeper exhaust note! But with these benefits came a distinct increase in engine noise. According to the guys from PowerFlow and Hoppy this is not unusual when the exhaust is decat'd. Still, I've always felt that the exhaust header noise(sounds almost like a blown exhaust manifold) was just too loud. Hoppy serviced the bakkie which made a huge difference, but still I wasn't totally happy... then Hoppy mentioned that on the IFS 2.7's the steering column firewall seal is known to perish and collapse, which allows alot of engine noise into the cabin. A few days later I decided to investigate and low and behold I found this:
20130917_202127.jpg
20130917_202127.jpg (73.92 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
The steering column hole is right by the 'empty' catalytic converter box, so that exhaust noise I've hearing has been coming from here all along!
20130917_202201.jpg
20130917_202201.jpg (77.86 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
To be continued... (shortly)
Last edited by Mr_B on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: Hilux Vigo V6 - Engine Noise After Decat

Post by george »

Hi Mr B.Glad you are still alive :thumbup: One can listen to The Hilux Whisperer
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
TOYODA
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '89 YN67R with Ford V6 3.0

Post by TOYODA »

Thanks Bretton :thumbup:

I'm going to check mine tomorrow...
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Ok, so I knew what the issue was... now the remedy. The original seal is integrated with the mounting plate that holds it in place, this Toyota sells as a single unit and I didn't even bother finding out what it costs... probably lots of moola. Anywho... I felt that the OEM seal was pretty flimsy, and it'll probably tear/perish soon again, especially seen as it's so close to the exhaust. So I decided to upgrade the fix!

First I had to remove the mounting plate. This entails removing the 3 nuts that hold the plate down, then loosening the steering column clamp on the engine bay side, 2 bolts. It's up close to the firewall... note that you must totally remove the bolts(else it won't come loose) which allows the clamp to slide up and disconnects the 'cab-side' steering column from the 'engine-side' column. Then under the steering wheel you need to loosen another steering column clamp, above the vibration damper and universal joint. With this section out the way the mounting plate can be removed... pics:
20130917_211207.jpg
(70.19 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
Then I used a universal CV joint and a 5mm thick off-cut of rubber mat... and made my own seal/ column boot:
20130917_213720.jpg
(60.82 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
I cut off the largest ring of the CV boot and used RTV 6999 grey gasket maker to seal the boot again the mounting plate... I didn't have any Slicka Flex... so the gasket maker had to do! It's a perfect fit!
20130917_214000.jpg
20130917_214000.jpg (55.26 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
Then I inserted the 5mm rubber disc, with the OEM foam rings for added sound damping... note that the steering column hole is off-centre...
20130917_214247.jpg
(67 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
Slipped the boot back over the steering column... and then re-assembled everything... ta-da... finished...
20130917_222412.jpg
20130917_222412.jpg (71.88 KiB) Viewed 2694 times

So that's it... it's much stronger than the OEM part, and the noise is gone! And the whole job cost me just over R100 (1 x CV Boot)!
ROOFER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: grassy park cape town
Vehicle: 99 s/c hilux 4x4 2.7i long range tank & dual battery; 2003 nissan x-TRAIL (4X4)

Post by ROOFER »

nice :!: very innovative (creative) must say ,so much to learn on this forum :dance1: :dance1:
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Nice, I like this approach! Good job
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Danman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6 aka "BosBuffel"

Post by Danman »

Didn't know this was an issue on the IFS,
Thanx Bretton and Allen, I've booked this weekend as TLC weekend for "Noster", this will be added on the list.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Bretton.... those pictures of the mounting plate (fitted)... are they taken inside the engine bay or from inside the cab?
To God be the glory
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Inside the cab Cassie. Do you want a pic from the other side?
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Mr_B wrote:Inside the cab Cassie. Do you want a pic from the other side?
Thank you sir... no... not necessary... was just trying to get my head around the setup :D: :wave:
To God be the glory
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

One serious warning on this job. Whilst the steeing column is disconnected, do not spin the steering wheel around at all, as I did. There is an electrical contraption between the steering wheel and steering column. This goody interconnects the hooter and airbag on the steering wheel to the rest of the electrical system, while allowing the steering wheel to turn normally. If you spin the wheel too many turns, the thin flat link cable gets torn from it's connection points, which obviously kills the hooter and airbag. I tried to repair it carefully this morning, but alas it tore again as soon as I turned the steering wheel from side to side.

So save yourself some frustration and don't spin the steering wheel... wonder what the replacement part is going to cost???

:evil:
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Very good idea Mr B :clap: :clap:

Me had the same on me Lux. Had it at Speedy 20 times to look for exhaust leak before we realised that it is that rubber.
(Some fellow Luxer at Hoppy's place told me to look at that rubber, don't know you but thanx for the advice)

I was too lazy to do the whole fix like you, a boer maak a plan.
So I sommer cut two pieces of leather in a round shape, with opening and used Genkem to glue the one on the cab side and the other on the engine bay side. The hole is so big the two pieces are also stuck together.

Worked like a charm, took ten minutes and it makes a HUGE difference. Da Lux is now very quiet and feels like a new one.
If your Lux is a bit noisy in the cab, I suggest you look under the dash and see if your rubber is not broken.

I think one day when I am bored I will change to the Mr B type of rubber, is a more permanent solution.
Before
Before
steering-noise (1).JPG (49.82 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
During
During
steering-noise (2).JPG (55.95 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
After
After
steering-noise (3).JPG (82.64 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

By the way, Mr B, those coil looms are very expensive, so good luck on that one.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
louis fourie
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

Dankie ouens. Nou weet ek waar die geraas vandaan kom. Daar kom ook heelwat water in as jy vinnig deut 'n plas water ry

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

pietpetoors wrote:By the way, Mr B, those coil looms are very expensive, so good luck on that one.
Nou's ek die... :evil:
louis fourie
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

louis fourie wrote:Dankie ouens. Nou weet ek waar die geraas vandaan kom. Daar kom ook heelwat water in as jy vinnig deur 'n plas water ry

Yip. Nou net gaan kyk. Myne se rubber het ook omtrent heeltemal gedisintegreer. Raai wat is my volgende projektjie:D

Toppie4x4
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4

Post by Toppie4x4 »

wow and this is exactly what wrong with my lux as well.....................luckily I read this tread before going to an exhaust place.

Return to “The Workshop”