HILUX DISCS ???

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: Hilux

HILUX DISCS ???

Post by Bester »

My 2009 Hilux front brake discs are warped to such an extend that they cannot safely be skimmed - on 70 000km! Is this normal? Never before have I had to replace discs on a vehicle, having driven three Isuzu bakkies to over 180 000km. My previous Hilux discs were skimmed on 80 000. My driving style has certainly not changed, it may only have become better.
Toyota SA is not willing to assist in any way with the costs even though the vehicle is still under waranty.

Have any of you had similar experienced / is this normal to replace discs on 70 000km?
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
Kaspaas
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Re: HILUX DISCS ???

Post by Kaspaas »

Geez Bester,

:think: This is the first time I've heard of disc wearing so quickly.
Is this on both sides? Left and right?
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

Never had a problem with my Vigo's, s/c stand at 246000km's and the d/cab at 205000km's
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bester »

From what I understand it is both sides. I think I must take the vehicle to another agent to check out, unfotunately this has already been escalated to Toyota SA so I'm not excepting any joy there. Just cant beleive that it can be considered normal wear.... Ek is gladnie dik van die lag nie.
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
Danman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6 aka "BosBuffel"

Post by Danman »

Hoeveel keer het jy brake pads vervang? Ry jy baie modder of sanderige paaie?
die kondisies kan veroorsaak dat disks vinniger wear.
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bester »

Nog nooit brake pads vervang nie. Met die vorige diens op 60000km was alles 100%. Nou, 10000km later moet alles vervang word. Ek ry bitter min modder of sand met die bakkie.
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Bester wrote:My 2009 Hilux front brake discs are warped to such an extend that they cannot safely be skimmed - on 70 000km! Is this normal? Never before have I had to replace discs on a vehicle, having driven three Isuzu bakkies to over 180 000km. My previous Hilux discs were skimmed on 80 000. My driving style has certainly not changed, it may only have become better.
Toyota SA is not willing to assist in any way with the costs even though the vehicle is still under waranty.

Have any of you had similar experienced / is this normal to replace discs on 70 000km?
Q? How did this happen? Did it happen gradually over time or over night?
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Iewers op die forum het nog so ou so 'n probleem gehad. Hy't toe dit verder gevat, maar niks weer op die forum daarvan gehoor nie.
Sent from my iPhone
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

There is no average or normal lifespan for discs and pads, depends on driving style and conditions, 70 000 km is not good, but fair for a set of front discs.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
BenRich
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4 BF Goodrich KM2 MT Old Man Emu Suspension, ONCA Rocksliders, Safari Snorkel, Stofpad Bashplate's National Luna Duel Battery System, Engel Fridge

Post by BenRich »

I had to replace my 2009 DC front discs on 72000km. Fortunately just fell within warranty period. Toyota first skimmed the discs (my cost) and when that failed they replaced front discs and rear drums.
Problem solved :thumbup:
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bester »

Hi BenRich, was it replaced under warranty? My vehicle is still under warranty but Toyota refuse to assist.

OOOOMS, I havent even noticed a problem, was however told during the 70000km service that it must be replaced as it is wareped to such an extnd that it cannot be skimmed. No issues were reported during the 60000km service.
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

This is not the first time we hear that story. There was a similar case and Toyota just love to get themselves out of replacing things under warranty .
In my opinion 70,000km is BAD for a set of front disks unless you are driving in the mud each day or if you use your Hilux for robot to robot racing.

I don't know if the previous owner ever replaced the discs on my bakkie, but I had it for about 100,000km and they still look as good as new and those discs were on there when I bought it.
The Tazz is now nearing 160,000km and still nothing wrong on the front discs.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bester »

I also think it is very bad. My other bakkies (Colt, Isuzu, Toyota and even a Ford!) never had this type of problem with much higher mileage and my driving style and terrain I use the vehicle has certainly not become worse.
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bester »

Just discussed the issue with Mr Andre Falck (Regional Head for Toyota?) so now waiting for feedback - hopefully positive.
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
Jxjdm
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: '05 Raider 2.7i Legend 35. '99 Honda civic vtec. '99 Honda CR250R

Post by Jxjdm »

Are the discs actually warped, or just worn down? Warped front disc/s will cause a noticeable shudder on the steering wheel when braking, most prominent at low speeds. Does your Lux shudder when braking?
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bester »

No I'm not experiencing any noticeable shuddering. The workshop reported that the discs are warped, I have not seen it myself.
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Bester wrote:No I'm not experiencing any noticeable shuddering. The workshop reported that the discs are warped, I have not seen it myself.
Perhaps I am missing the point here....?

If there is no noticeable shudder, then tell em to take a hike.... :!: Why not leave it as is?
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bester »

I have two months left on the warranty, if the discs are warped they must be replaced before they become a serious problem once the warranty expired.
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Bester wrote:I have two months left on the warranty, if the discs are warped they must be replaced before they become a serious problem once the warranty expired.
Well if they are going to replace them under factory warranty let em, but for you to pay for 'em, nope.

Why do they claim they are warped?

This not normal, mine have 210 000km on and still the original.
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bester »

Yes OOOOMS, I agree, if they dont I'm not until I start experiencing problems.
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
rebuilder
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Adelaide
Vehicle: Toyota camry altise. Till I find a replacement hilux.

Post by rebuilder »

My d4d hilux had 260 000km on the clock and that is with lots of open road and lots of dirt and mud on and around civil constrution sites around the country. Still on original discs. If there is no shudder on your brake pedal when braking then there is nothing wrong. Is there a squeeking or grinding noise when you brake. When last did you change pads? I have a idea of what could have happened? Is there any way you can upload pics of the discs so I can see them.You dont have to take them off the bakkie for the pics.
There is a madness about been mad that only a mad person can understand.
Diesel and dust is where home is at.
vanthev8man
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: wellington
Vehicle: 81 hilux 350,80 vx landcruiser,650 bombardier.

Post by vanthev8man »

imho discs that are wharped can only be caused by excessive heat followed by sudden cooling down|-like when the discs are hot and you drive through water.
hilux sfa -the only real 4x4!
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bester »

Havent had any time to follow up on this but just realised tomorrow will be 3 weeks since I spoke with Mr Anton Falck (who promised to investigate and get back to me) without any further response from ANYBODY at Toyota SA.
Ek is soort van gatvol vir verskaffers wat dink die produk verkoop homself en naverkoopdiens is wats wat die klient moet sien as 'n bonus.
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Bester wrote:Havent had any time to follow up on this but just realised tomorrow will be 3 weeks since I spoke with Mr Anton Falck (who promised to investigate and get back to me) without any further response from ANYBODY at Toyota SA.
Ek is soort van gatvol vir verskaffers wat dink die produk verkoop homself en naverkoopdiens is wats wat die klient moet sien as 'n bonus.
But that's normal.......... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Re: HILUX DISCS ??? - UITEINDELIK

Post by Bester »

Na maande se baklei met Toyota oor my discs wat "gewarp" het, het hulle toe ingestem dat dit onder waarborg vervang word. Nog maande later en vele oproepe van my kant af (hulle bel nie vir jou nie, JY moet HULLE bel!) is die discs en pads hier (daar was glo nie voorraad nie...) en gaan my bakkie Vrydag in om dit te vervang.
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
ATH
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Hilux 2.5 D-4D SRX 4x4

Post by ATH »

In all of the vehicles I have owned, I have learned to distrust opinions / findings of dealerships and workshops as their systems run to vehicle throughput and trainees are in full force on your vehicle.

If there is no shuddering, suggest that you push your case forward but at least you know that the discs are not "poked". In a previous bakkie I was getting brake finding and the agents were running all over suggesting be calipers and other wonderfully expensive fixes. I popped in to a private mechanic and he diagnosed that rubber particulate was breaking off the inside of the one pipe / hose, replaced both sides at a minimal cost and solved! Sorry, drifted here...

Hope that you come right here :thumbup:
Mars
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

My 2006 DC het nou 204000 km op met die oorspronklike voor skywe en nog geen probleme nie.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

Post by Mikie »

Sorry to open an old thread but I just had the same problem

My GF uses my bakkie for work, prior to that it basically lived in the garage and got driven about every second weekend only
Sitting at about 260 000km now

Less than a year ago I replaced the front disks and pads and also Rear drums and shoes

Lately, when I drive it, coming to a stop causes the steering to shake left and right quite badly and a shudder I the brake pedal
I suspected wheel balancing, definitely not Brake disks, tehy are after all new and probably havent even done 8000km

GF took it to Supa quik this morning and they confirmed, warped disks, so warped that they cant be skimmed.

I am stumped ! How does this happen??
Can it only be cold water that causes this on hot disks or could there be another reason?
Mars

Post by Mars »

What make disks did you use? Not all brake discs are created equally. Toyota has an issue with their supplier and many discs have been replaced under warranty (where applicable of course).
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Got these at Midas, cant remember what brand they were but lesson learned
Mars

Post by Mars »

Go for a reputable brand like Ferrodo, ATE etc. Buying Toyota is no guarantee that you will get the good disks. Having said that Toyota reckon the supplier issue was resolved.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

If I recall correctly is was a reputable brand, red and white box
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

In my opinion, if Toyota is not replacing it under warranty, then do not replace it on your own cost right yet. You stated that you are not experiencing any noticeable shuddering. Don’t repair what’s not broken.
You stated you have 2 months left on the warranty. They probably just trying to make money out of you before the warranty ends.
If you want to know if it is really warped, the cheap way it is to use engineering ink or just old plain chalk. Remove the wheel and line the disk throughout with a thin layer of chalk. Have someone press the brake pedal lightly and rotate the disk. The spots where the pad catches the disc will remove the chalk. The other parts should still have chalk. Then you know the discs are warped. If all the chalk is removed, the discs are fine.
Last edited by Bear on Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
Mars

Post by Mars »

Mikie wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:16 pm If I recall correctly is was a reputable brand, red and white box
Your best bet is undoubtedly Powerbrake disks and pads. They are expensive - on a par with Toyota OEM but that will definitely be the end if your issues.
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bear »

Apologies, answered an old thread and did not see the dates.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bear »

Cold water on a hot disc is one of the causes. Be careful when taking it to the carwash when the discs are hot. Pressurised cold water is sprayed on the discs!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

From what I have been told over the years, cold water on hot discs is the primary cause for warping. I am also led to believe that driving / braking in the rain is not the cause because there is a constant spray mist on the discs which produces a more even cooling, but warping occurs when the roads are drying out to the point that there is no longer any spray off the tyres and the discs remain dry, then entering a significantly sized puddle or stream after a longer period of braking - like after coming down a hill where you've been using brakes a lot. Supposedly there is not enough spray period to cool the whole disc evenly, but just one side of it. Can also happen in dry weather if there is a significant stream of water discharge (from whatever source) on the road and the discs are very hot.

Although it sounds logical, how true all of that is, is still a matter of some speculation in my eyes and I have to wonder if unusually long periods of braking that produce excessive heat on the disc are perhaps also a contributing factor. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Mars wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:08 pm
Mikie wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:16 pm If I recall correctly is was a reputable brand, red and white box
Your best bet is undoubtedly Powerbrake disks and pads. They are expensive - on a par with Toyota OEM but that will definitely be the end if your issues.
I only found out about these guys after new ones were installed, I will keep them in mind for next time, if there is a next time
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

I am still wondering if its possible that Supa Quik installed the disks and pads the first time incorrectly, which could have caused them to constantly brush the pads?
They did fail to tighten my shocks in place properly at the same time too
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Post by Jaws »

Mikie wrote:I am still wondering if its possible that Supa Quik installed the disks and pads the first time incorrectly, which could have caused them to constantly brush the pads?
Unlikely. Discs are clamped down by the wheels.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

:thumbup:
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Jaws wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:37 pm
Mikie wrote:I am still wondering if its possible that Supa Quik installed the disks and pads the first time incorrectly, which could have caused them to constantly brush the pads?
Unlikely. Discs are clamped down by the wheels.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
Thanks, there goes that theory then

Return to “The Workshop”