Gearbox Question -

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Linky
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2007 Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 Double Cab

Gearbox Question -

Post by Linky »

Hi guys

My brother pointed something out to me while we were driving on the weekend which is now making me concerned (paranoid), since I don’t usually look at my gears when I drive.

When I change gears, the 4x4 and normal gear levers "flex" and move a bit (1-3cm depends how hard you are driving) when I change up. Would this be a cause for concern, or is this normal from the torque when changing up? I had not really noticed this movement / play on the gear levers in the past, so now it’s working on my nerves :P

I am wondering if perhaps the linkages would need adjusting, or if the gearbox mountings might be a bit poked. (or worse)

(I drive a 2007 3.0 D4D Raider Double Cab 4x4)

I am taking it in for its 180 000KM service in the next few weeks at Melrose Toyota in the next two weeks.
Live to dive - everything else is just an extended surface interval
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Re: Gearbox Question -

Post by jacques kotze »

Not to worry, it is completely normal as normal can be, the gearbox and engine are both mounted with a steel/rubber mounting combination. When you accelerate or simply stand still and rev it bit, the gearlever will have some flex to it. It is the torque of the engine and also the direction the engine rotates (the crankshaft) that makes the engine/gearbox flex to one side. :thumbup:
Linky
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Linky »

jacques kotze wrote:Not to worry, it is completely normal as normal can be, the gearbox and engine are both mounted with a steel/rubber mounting combination. When you accelerate or simply stand still and rev it bit, the gearlever will have some flex to it. It is the torque of the engine and also the direction the engine rotates (the crankshaft) that makes the engine/gearbox flex to one side. :thumbup:
Thanks Man :thumbup:

I always get a bit paranoid with these things, last thing I want is to get caught with my pants down and to know I could have avoided something. I am not 100% up to date with the inner workings of a big diesel 4x4... its a big change to the city golf im used to working on.

Any ways, thank you very much for the peace of mind :)
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

You cold just ask them to check your engine / gearbox mountings at the next service for additional peace of mind, but as Jacques says, it's quite normal. In vehicles with transversely mounted motors (like the Golf), there are indeed linkages between the stick and the box, whereas with your vehicle the stick goes directly into the box (which is bolted to the motor), so any vibration / torque-twist of the motor will be evident at the gear lever. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Linky
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Linky »

Thanks Mud Dog, I do intend on doing that.. as far as I know they were supposed to check all those mountings when I did the 160K service. But it wont hurt to ask them to give it a visual again, as it is my clutch pedal is creaking so I want them to sort that out too. Problem with Toyota is they love over charging you for all these little things..
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

Linky wrote:Thanks Mud Dog, I do intend on doing that.. as far as I know they were supposed to check all those mountings when I did the 160K service. But it wont hurt to ask them to give it a visual again, as it is my clutch pedal is creaking so I want them to sort that out too. Problem with Toyota is they love over charging you for all these little things..
The creaking of the clutch pedal is also quite normal, there is a spring behind the speedo cluster connected to the clutch pedal that makes the creaking noise, but have them check it out anyways. :thumbup:
Linky
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Linky »

Yeah its just bloody annoying.. they need to WD40 that thing!! :D

Im sure you guys can clearly guess now I have absolutely no tools or space to do any work on my bakkie.. sucks!
Stephan_V
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 07 Hilux D4D

Post by Stephan_V »

"as it is my clutch pedal is creaking "

Haha.. mine too, and the best of all when Itook it for its service, not a sound. :roll: Two days later back again. I got in there with a "klein huisie vol" Q20. So fine now.
Caveman 777
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: Toyota hilux 3.o d4d

Post by Caveman 777 »

3.0 D4d 4x4 selects gears and nothing happens accept for 4th gear working like a charm. Reverse light come on but nothing happens. You can hear it engaging but no response.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

4th is the direct drive from the engine, so what has probably happened is either the shifter linkage is broken, or the shifting collars are not moving.
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"

Return to “The Workshop”