2004 2.7i 4x2 difflock not working

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
WernerViviers
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: George
Vehicle: 2004 Hilux 2700i R/B

2004 2.7i 4x2 difflock not working

Post by WernerViviers »

Hi everyone! I bought this bakkie a couple of weeks ago and tried to test the difflock today via the owners manual operating instructions. The manual says that when the difflock is switched on, a red light will go on and when moving slowly forward it will change to green to confirm that the two shafts has been locked. I tried it this morning, stopped on a flat straight tar road, engaged clutch, selected 1st, switched difflock on and pulled away slowly and drove a couple of meters very slowly in a straight line in 1st gear but the red light didnt change to green..

So it tells me that the lock isnt engaging? Surely the ''gaps'' in the diff shouldve alligned a couple of times because I drove about 50meters. Im planning a trip into the mountains soon and want to make sure that its working properly. Any advice or info will be much appreciated. Thanks.
WernerViviers
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Re: 2004 2.7i 4x2 difflock not working

Post by WernerViviers »

I forgot to mention that the red light is not flashing, it just stays on the whole time...?
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Werner.Did you put it in 4L(Low range)it only engage in Low Range
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Royco
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: '09 D4D 3.0 Raider 4x4 D/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X88

Post by Royco »

Werner, I can't comment on your exact model, but my 98 model, and my current 07 both didn't change colour. They were both 4x4 - not sure if that makes a difference.

There are two separate indicator lights.
The green light is to show that 4x4 has been selected, and a flashing red means that the diff lock has been switched on, but not engaged. Once engaged it stays on solid red.

But, as I say, this is what I've experienced.
Image Image Image Image
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Werner... you have to be in low range and the diff will not engage if you drive in a straight line. After switching it on and preferably not on a sealed surface, drive in a circle so that the two side shafts turn at different speeds. This will then cause it to engage.
To God be the glory
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Werner's Hilux is a 4x2 Raised Body S/C Hilux. So no Lowrange here to engage. Vehicles came fitted with a vacuum operated diff lock IE Gearmax.

When the red light stays on it hasn't engaged. I would rather recommend you take the vehicle on a dirt road, switch the locker on and drive slowly off and simulate a lane change to see if it actually enagages.

Also If it does not engage it can be due to the fact that the vacuum pipe has either come loose at the diff or at the solenoid it self.

If not it might be that the unit itself is jammed from not being used or there might be a leak in the system somewhere else as it doesn't get enough vacuum then to actually engage the locker at the back.

Either way, it should be fairly simple and straight forward to fix. :thumbup:
Johan Marais
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 3.0L Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: Xray05

Post by Gertc »

4x2 like to get the solenoid stuck just for a test bypass the soleniod and see if it engage. My money is on the soleniod. Hear it is expensive to replace.
WernerViviers
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by WernerViviers »

Thanks Johan, I took your advice this weekend and it seems that my difflock is working just fine. Thanks a lot for everyones advice!

Return to “The Workshop”