Missing/Loose Vacuum Hoses on 2700i Engine

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Missing/Loose Vacuum Hoses on 2700i Engine

Post by Family_Dog »

What do these two vacuum pipes do on a 2700i engine? On HoundDog, one pipe was loose, while the other one going to a solenoid or valve, was missing entirely. There is such a myriad of hoses in these engines that I only found out that there was a pipe missing when I compared HounDog's engine to White Fang's engine.

HoundDog went like a bat out of that hot place when the chip was in, but it would not idle, specifically if the A/C was on. Removing the chip and blanking its plug off with a Dastek plug cured the idling problem, albeit at a loss of low-down revs. Since replacing the hoses though, I have not yet tried the chip again.

P1020657_1.jpg
P1020659_1.jpg

Click on the pics to enlarge them and read the text.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Missing/Loose Vacuum Hoses on 2700i Engine

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm not familiar with the 2.7i at all, butit looks like you've got it right, Eric. The 'S' shaped pipe goes to the fuel rail pressure control valve and to my mind, assists to raise the pressure at revs when the fuel demand is higher. The other looks like it's hooked up to a vacuum reservoir for the brake booster, but I'm not sure what the solenoid control valve is for (maybe to open / close vacuum from the intake to regulate a more even vacuum level in the reservoir throughout the rev range. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2004 Legend 35 Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Post by 3RZ »

The pipe on the left supplies vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator - At idle when engine vacuum is high, it opens the valve lowering fuel pressure. At higher RPM's when engine vacuum is low, the valve closes increasing fuel pressure.

The pipe on the right hand side feed the fuel vapor from the fuel tank that would leak into the air back in the intake to be burnt by the engine, which is why the 2.7 does not have a breather - it is a closed system. Operation below:

"Operation

The evaporative emission control system prevents the release of unburned hydrocarbons from the liquid gasoline vapor into the atmosphere. Evaporative fuel vapor from the tank is routed to the charcoal canister located in the engine compartment. The charcoal canister stores the vapor until the engine coolant reaches 54 degrees Celsius. When the engine coolant as above this temperature and the throttle is open, a vacuum switching valve opens to allow vapors trapped inside the canister to enter the intake manifold.

Fuel cap gasket
All vehicles require the replacement of the fuel filter cap gasket at 60 000 miles, to maintain the integrity of the evaporative emission control system. The gasket is important in sealing the filler neck and keeping the vapors from the tank routed through the vapor emission system."
(Chilton Toyota Pick-Ups/Land Cruiser/4Runner 1997-00 repair manual)

"Vapor pressure sensor
The vapor pressure sensor is used to monitor the fuel tank pressure or vacuum during the OBDII test portion for emissions integrity. This test scans the various sensors and output actuators to detect abnormal amounts of fuel vapors that may not be purging into the canister and/or the intake system for recycling. The vapor pressure helps the ECM monitor this pressure difference inside the tank.

Check
Poor Idling, stalling and poor drivability can be caused by an inoperative check valve, damaged canister, split or cracked hose or hoses or hoses connected to the wrong fittings. Check the fuel filler cap for damaged or deformed gasket"
(Haynes Repair Manual Toyota Tacoma, 4Runner & T100)"

Running with the pipes off should lean out the mixture as the amount of air measured by the MAF is more than the actual amount getting to the engine and as such the fuel ratio is less than what it should be. I hope the vheicle wasn't driven like this for a an extended time otherwise th valves may also have taken some heat.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Running with the pipes off should lean out the mixture as the amount of air measured by the MAF is more than the actual amount getting to the engine and as such the fuel ratio is less than what it should be. I hope the vehicle wasn't driven like this for a an extended time otherwise the valves may also have taken some heat.
Not by me, but I think Hennie did some mileage with it like this. Time will tell.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Willem, I have a better understanding of it all now (I think... takes a while for all this to soak in so early on a Sunday morning!).

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Wou nou net se vra vir Willem 3RZ, hy het daai tyd my ook gehalp met daai selfde pypies, maar hy was nou te vinneg vir my.
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

A bit OT.

Is it only the stealers that can use that black diagnostic plug.And what readings do they get from it?
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by 3RZ »

The plug on the intake is the Toyota Diagnostic plug, you need to get their reader or count the pulses on two of the terminals with a light source and then hope you counted right and then deceipher the lot. I have the "codes" somewhere. You can do some stuff with it like run the fuel pump IIRC and you need to bridge two of the terminals to check the timing at idle etc.

Much better using OBDII port behind the dash above your clutch foot, you can get error codes and read realtime data like roadspeed, load, timing, fuel etc as an example.

I am busy getting an ELMSCAN5 - nice toy- with software you can read all or most of the sensors that supplies info to the ECU (but you cannot change timing and fuel values - before you get exited :problem: )

http://www.scantool.net/elmscan-5-usb.html
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

3RZ wrote:The plug on the intake is the Toyota Diagnostic plug, you need to get their reader or count the pulses on two of the terminals with a light source and then hope you counted right and then deceipher the lot. I have the "codes" somewhere. You can do some stuff with it like run the fuel pump IIRC and you need to bridge two of the terminals to check the timing at idle etc.

Much better using OBDII port behind the dash above your clutch foot, you can get error codes and read realtime data like roadspeed, load, timing, fuel etc as an example.

I am busy getting an ELMSCAN5 - nice toy- with software you can read all or most of the sensors that supplies info to the ECU (but you cannot change timing and fuel values - before you get exited :problem: )

http://www.scantool.net/elmscan-5-usb.html
Hi Willem.
This is quit an old post,but was wondering if you managed to get the ELMSCAN5 and if it is working.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by 3RZ »

I bought a similar one but it does not want to establish coms with the ECU, it doesn't work on my Wife's Renault either - not that that surprises me. I will let you know when I get something that works.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

3RZ wrote:I bought a similar one but it does not want to establish coms with the ECU, it doesn't work on my Wife's Renault either - not that that surprises me. I will let you know when I get something that works.
Thanks Willem. i see they got a new one now. http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-sx.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How difficult is it to get to the plug in the bakkie.Will like to see what mine looks like
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by 3RZ »

Not difficult at all, above your left knee under the dash as you sit. Just take flashlight and have a look, std OBDII socket.
mtbbiker
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Toyota hilux 2700i 4X4DC
Club VHF Licence: B199

Post by mtbbiker »

3RZ wrote:The pipe on the left supplies vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator - At idle when engine vacuum is high, it opens the valve lowering fuel pressure. At higher RPM's when engine vacuum is low, the valve closes increasing fuel pressure.

The pipe on the right hand side feed the fuel vapor from the fuel tank that would leak into the air back in the intake to be burnt by the engine, which is why the 2.7 does not have a breather - it is a closed system. Operation below:

"Operation

The evaporative emission control system prevents the release of unburned hydrocarbons from the liquid gasoline vapor into the atmosphere. Evaporative fuel vapor from the tank is routed to the charcoal canister located in the engine compartment. The charcoal canister stores the vapor until the engine coolant reaches 54 degrees Celsius. When the engine coolant as above this temperature and the throttle is open, a vacuum switching valve opens to allow vapors trapped inside the canister to enter the intake manifold.

Fuel cap gasket
All vehicles require the replacement of the fuel filter cap gasket at 60 000 miles, to maintain the integrity of the evaporative emission control system. The gasket is important in sealing the filler neck and keeping the vapors from the tank routed through the vapor emission system."
(Chilton Toyota Pick-Ups/Land Cruiser/4Runner 1997-00 repair manual)

"Vapor pressure sensor
The vapor pressure sensor is used to monitor the fuel tank pressure or vacuum during the OBDII test portion for emissions integrity. This test scans the various sensors and output actuators to detect abnormal amounts of fuel vapors that may not be purging into the canister and/or the intake system for recycling. The vapor pressure helps the ECM monitor this pressure difference inside the tank.

Check
Poor Idling, stalling and poor drivability can be caused by an inoperative check valve, damaged canister, split or cracked hose or hoses or hoses connected to the wrong fittings. Check the fuel filler cap for damaged or deformed gasket"
(Haynes Repair Manual Toyota Tacoma, 4Runner & T100)"

Running with the pipes off should lean out the mixture as the amount of air measured by the MAF is more than the actual amount getting to the engine and as such the fuel ratio is less than what it should be. I hope the vheicle wasn't driven like this for a an extended time otherwise th valves may also have taken some heat.
Hi I hope anybody can help. I have a problem on my 2.7i IFS when standing in the sun it sometimes have difficulty in starting (and when it does it idles rough or doesn't want to pick-up rpms) and the engine warning light comes on (Which then disappear after about 10-20 mins when driving). This only happens when standing in the sun :evil: After reading the above I suspect it might have something to do with some "gas/vapour" build up in the fuel system, which then affect one of the ECU sensors. I have a long range tank installed and there is a very "big" "hiss" sound when I open the fuel cap. Could this also be a problem with water contamination in the fuel tanks?
Tua
Town: ondobe
Vehicle: Toyota hilux 2.7 3rz

Post by Tua »

Hi, I know that this is an old post but I have a high idling problem. This all started after an engine rebuild, and I suspect the mechanic could have swapped or misplaced the vacuum hoses. I want to know where the hoses from underneath the canister goes. I have a 2.7 3rz engine exactly like the one displayed in those pictures.
Attachments
IMG_20200712_152220.jpg
IMG_20200712_152203.jpg
IMG_20200712_152423.jpg
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

I had a similar problem some years ago, these are the pictures I took at the time. Hope they help.

-F_D
Attachments
P1020659-1.jpg
P1020659_1.jpg
P1020657_1.jpg
P1020657_!.jpg

Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

:shock3: :shock3: Call me gobsmackeed!

I remembered about posting this many years ago but figured there is no way on this earth that I would ever have found the post. Perhaps I should have just scrolled up a bit...

-F_D

Tua

Post by Tua »

Thank you, do you have an idea where the hose underneath the canister goes? Because on my car, it is the one coming from the top of the throttle body, which I think is wrong.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

That canister is the carbon canister which only get rid of the petrol fumes in the petrol tank and run them through the engine. Mine was disconnected it for a long time.

The first thing to start with is just plug all open vacuum holes. A short piece of pipe with a bolt in works well.

If the engine sucks air anywhere it will cause idling problems. Make sure there are no open pipes on the inlet manifold.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Tua

Post by Tua »

I just want to know where that hose goes sir. Thanks
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Have a look at this link. There are a lot of images.

https://www.google.com/search?q=3RZ+vac ... yX9PT7qckM
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

If it is the metal pipe, the one goes to the fuel tank's breather and I think the other is just an open end breather for the canister. My vehicle not with me today.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Tua

Post by Tua »

Thank you sir. I will try it out.

Return to “The Workshop”