Help - Cold Start Issues...???

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Numbnut
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Vredenburg
Vehicle: '03 Colt 2.8TDI DC 4x4; Wilderness Offroad Camping Trailer

Help - Cold Start Issues...???

Post by Numbnut »

For the past 2 months or so I have been having problems each time I start up the Ford! Jip, this is a FORD issue and
not a HILUX one, but please help me out anyways?? :D: Vehicle: 2005 Ford Ranger Supercab 2.5tdi +-57 000km FSH....

When I start my bakkie in the mornings, it shakes and smokes alot, after about 40sec or so it is fine as it should be! My bakkie
sleeps indoors and I have never had this problem before. Last winter the bakkie slept outside in the wet and cold with no
hint of cold start problems. What could this be?? The bakkie is due for its next service on 60 000km and it does not use a
drop of oil, just so we are clear!!! :D

Well, before this all actually started I switched over to a new diesel supplier here on the coast, Agri Diesel. They get their
feul from TOTAL and is the cheapest in town, hence the change! But after about 2 full tanks the smoking and shaking started!
I figured that the feul might be contaminated or such and went back to BP/CALTEX diesel. I have done about 3 tanks after
the last feul switch and still I have this problem. On +-54 000km I added Diesel Injector Cleaner after reading an article about
the stuff and how it does work, this was before Agri Diesel, and I did see some positive changes in mileage, noise reduction
and slight performance. I was hoping that the Injector Cleaner might solve this new problem aswel so I added it again this week, 3000km
after the first application. Geuss what, the major shaking and blue smoke is still there!!??!!?? :think: :think: :evil: :evil:
This does not just happen in the mornings, but also when PO finishes work in the afternoon after the bakkie has been standing all day parked
in the sun.

This is all the information I can supply to get a good helpfull answer from the Pro Mechies!!

Thx
Everything Works Better When It Is Properly Lubricated...!!!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Help - Cold Start Issues...???

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm not familiar with your motor or even diesels motors for that matter, but I would assume that they have a cold start valve / cold start injector of some sort. It sounds as if your problem lies with this. It could have become contaminated with the dirty / poor quality diesel and the cleaner has been ineffective since this valve / injector is only operative for very short periods with each cold start. Locate it, remove it, strip it if you can do so without causing damage and clean it out properly (you might want to soak it in some cleaner) before re-assembling. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Numbnut
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Numbnut »

Thanx for the advise Andy... :thumbup:

I will try and make a turn by the stealers next week and ask their mechies about such a control valve thingamejig.

I have not yet been to the stealers simply because I want to get all my ducks in a row with as much as possible
reasons for this dilemma from the guys on this forum before the stealers spin me some bull crap that will end up
costing me much more $$$$ than it should!

What are your views on Injector Cleaner additives by the way??
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Daniel,

The problem that you are describing are a diesel misfire on cold start.

Possible reasons for the engine developing this problem:

1. Failed injector tip that is possibly overfuelling the motor due to the cheap diesel that most likely had parrafin in it. This has caused the tip to burn away and now it no longer sprays diesel into the combustion chamber but actually drips which makes it to rich on startup.

2. Glowplug that is failling, not warming up the precombustion chamber before starting. Diesel does not burn very well when cold and under pressure.

3. Diesel pump needs to be reset & serviced together with all 4 injectors. The fuel system is to be cleaned, tank to be drained, filters to be replaced and after everything is new and 100% back in spec, it will need to have the pump calibrated on a dynometer to achieve maximum performance & fuel economy.

These engines are good, but they don't like dirty (cheap) diesel actually. Also have the timer of the glowplugs checked out.
THey do fail sometimes and although the glowplug light comes on, on the dashboard it actually doesn't warm up the glow plugs.

I would reccommend that you take your Ford to somebody like SAC in cape town to have it checked out.
Johan Marais
Numbnut
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Numbnut »

Thanx Johan for that input. The way you put it, it seems that I have alot of work cut out for me!

What would happen if I dont attend to the problem? I have noticed that when I start up the bakkie in the mornings, the
rev indicator also jumps up and down as the vehicle shakes. I'l have a look at my warranty and see what is covered.

Thx
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

Numbnut wrote:It seems that I have alot of work cut out for me! What would happen if I dont attend to the problem? I have noticed that when I start up the bakkie in the mornings, the rev indicator also jumps up and down as the vehicle shakes. I'l have a look at my warranty and see what is covered.Thx
Daniel

I have been long enough in the workshop repair game with turbo diesels and vehicle's to know that not fixing the problem will eventually lead to a engine failure of some kind. Usually the engine will start to run hot under power and then it will possibly one day overheat and then it will finally give in. That will lead you to a costly rebuild or a more cost effictive Import engine transplant.

All of this will cost more than having the problem sorted out.

The revcounter is part of the problem showing that the engine is misfiring, thus the needle jumping around.
Johan Marais
Numbnut
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Numbnut »

Ok, will give the stealers a visit asap!

Thanx once again...
Numbnut
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Numbnut »

Spoke to my stepdad about 30min ago, he had exactly the same problem a month ago with his 2.5tdi Mazda Drifter. The
same shaking (miss fire) and smoke out the back. He took his vehicle to a diesel mechy and it turned out that one of
his glow plugs wasn't working anymore. Apparently this is easy to see, a good working glow plug is still shiny and a faulty
one is black. His Mazda has +-119 000km on it and the diesel mechy said that it is very unusual to replace a glow plug on
such low mileage. All in all, he replaced all 4 glow plugs at a cost of about R900. :thumbup: I would however only replace
the faulty glow plug/s. :roll:

Hopefully this is also the case with me and that I wont need to replace expensive injectors!! :shifty:
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

Numbnut wrote:Spoke to my stepdad about 30min ago, he had exactly the same problem a month ago with his 2.5tdi Mazda Drifter. The
same shaking (miss fire) and smoke out the back. He took his vehicle to a diesel mechy and it turned out that one of
his glow plugs wasn't working anymore. Apparently this is easy to see, a good working glow plug is still shiny and a faulty
one is black. His Mazda has +-119 000km on it and the diesel mechy said that it is very unusual to replace a glow plug on
such low mileage. All in all, he replaced all 4 glow plugs at a cost of about R900. :thumbup: I would however only replace

Hopefully this is also the case with me and that I wont need to replace expensive injectors!! :shifty:
Daniel it is very likely that it is only a faulty glowplug. I would however replace the set at once due to the fact that they will take all 4 out to check and test them thus paying only once for the labour to do the whole job. Afterall if the glowplug has given in, I will replace all of them just to be sure that the problem stay away rather than worry when the next one is going to stop working.
Johan Marais
Numbnut
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Numbnut »

JohanM wrote:
Numbnut wrote:Spoke to my stepdad about 30min ago, he had exactly the same problem a month ago with his 2.5tdi Mazda Drifter. The

Daniel it is very likely that it is only a faulty glowplug. I would however replace the set at once due to the fact that they will take all 4 out to check and test them thus paying only once for the labour to do the whole job. Afterall if the glowplug has given in, I will replace all of them just to be sure that the problem stay away rather than worry when the next one is going to stop working.
You have got a valid point there! :D:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Everything Works Better Once It Is Properly Lubricated...!!!

Or replaced! ;)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Return to “The Workshop”