KZTE Oil Leak - Turbo Oil Return Pipe

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Herlu
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux DC IFS KZTE
Club VHF Licence: B43

KZTE Oil Leak - Turbo Oil Return Pipe

Post by Herlu »

Hi,

I have a 2001 KZTE that leaks oil from the oil return pipe that runs from the turbo back to the engine.

The pipe has a flange that connects to the block with tow bolts. The oil does not seem to come from between the flange and the block, but rather from between the pipe and the flange itself where the pipe enters the flange. I might be wrong here, but that’s what it looks like.

Has anyone had this exact problem? Can one remove and solder this pip back into its flange (not sure whether it’s steel or alu), or do I throw it away in install a new one? Friend of mine had this problem, and he said he soldered it. Not sure whether it will hold if its not a steel pipe.

Thanks
Herlu
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Re: KZTE Oil Leak - Turbo Oil Return Pipe

Post by Donkey »

Hi Herlu

I have a 2002 KZ-TE with 269 000km on the clock, had a similar problem and took a while to realise a hairline crack on the flanges of the pipe you're talking about. With the kind of mileage I have on the bakkie it justified a replacement and have never had problems in that area again, that was four months ago.

Good luck,
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
kennethroselt
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Boksburg North
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 KZ-TE 4x2 (Sold), Now Audi A4 2.0

Post by kennethroselt »

Hi there

I also have the 02 KZ, also had this leak, replaced pipe - no more issues...

Regards

Kenneth
rexx
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Hillcrest
Vehicle: Fortuner D4D 4x4 07

Post by rexx »

Hi, Have a 01 kzte, also had the same prob, hairline crack between the flange and the pipe. Recomend you replace the pipe, only about R280 from toy. However the new one seems a lot better made than the standard, The pipe wall is much thicker.
Chris
JohnB
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux KZ-TE

Post by JohnB »

Hi there. This is my first post on this forum, although I have been actively reading it for a few years now as a registered user.

I was wondering if someone could give my some advice please. I also have a KZTE 2000 model. My machanic serviced the Hilux at 215 000km. Soon afterwards I noticed that the Hilux started leaking oil somewhere in the engin. I phoned machanic and he said it's prolly the sump plug seal. I did not have time to take it back to him before the 220 000km service. After this service (sump plug seal also replaced) the engin still leaks oil even more than before. The whole engin underneath is full of oil. I took the Hilux back to him to check the oil leak out. He said it must be the oil return pipe as he cannot see where else it could leak. So my question is: how do you determine when it's leaking oil through a crack in the oil return pipe? Does it leak excessive oil in such a way that you can actually see it or is there another way of telling? Or what else can it be? I just need a second opinion please.

Is it bad for your car to drive with the leaking pipe? Can anything happen to the turbo? Is it easy to replace? I do not want to replace the pipe unnecessarily.

Thanks.

Johan Brand
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

This is a common problem on KZTE's, it is usually caused by loose manifold or turbo mounting bolts. You must also check the vibration bracket and all exhaust clamps & brackets
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

NOOOOO!! And here I thought only Land Rovers leak oil??? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear

Post by Donkey »

Oom Thys :acute: :banned:
Common as it may be but occurs after 200k km's and it's once off :tongue:

Easiest way to find oil leak is fisrt washing the engin and engine bay, drive a bit and then inspect :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

ImageImage
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Thanks guys for the advice. Can I drive with a cracked pipe (until I have time to have it fixed) or is it going to cause turbo or other problems (apart from the oil all over the engin obviously)?
Hoppy, perhaps I must bring the Hilux to you to check it out. You are just a little too far away from me.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Wouldn't advise on driving with it like that (unless in pure emergency) because obvioulsy you're loosing oil, which will affect lubrication, etc. and cause unnessecary heat stress on an engine that is already running hot and doesn't like heat anyway.

It will take you 30 min to replace that pipe and around R300 for the part, which is nothing to the cost of replacing a cracked head. Just my 2cw :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Okay thanks. Will do so.
4x4Maniac
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Erm I took mine to Turbo Worx in Centurion and had it replaced for R300 and R300 for the pipe

Sent from my couch using a potato.
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4
HennieJ2
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: Hilux D/C D4D 4x4, Hilux KZ-TE D/c 4x4

Post by HennieJ2 »

Boet, ek had dieselle problem - koop die pypie, maar voor ek hom kon fit smous ek die Lux - as jy nie reg kom nie laat weet my - pypie "float" nog iewers innie garage.

HJ
Hilux D/C D4D 4x4 ; Hilux 2700i S/C 4x4
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Hallo oom Hennie :wave:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Dankie virrie aanbod Hennie, maar ek wil een so gou as moontlik laat insit, so ek gaan sommer more een koop by die "stealers" Moet se, dis een van die goedkoper parte wat ek al moes koop.

So by the way - ek check toe gisteroggend (engin koud) die Hilux se dipstick en sien dat hy oorvol is (hy het mos onlangs gegaan vir 'n service). Die olie le omtrent 5mm of meer oor die vol merk! Nou wonder ek net is die regte tyd om die olie level te check as die engin koud is of as hy warm is? Is dit 'n groot probleem as jy so ry? Wat kan gebeur? Kan dit nie ook 'n olielek veroorsaak nie? Moet ek maar so bietjie olie laat aftap?

Jammer vir al die vrae, maar ek is maar dom met karre.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

JohnB wrote:Dankie virrie aanbod Hennie, maar ek wil een so gou as moontlik laat insit, so ek gaan sommer more een koop by die "stealers" Moet se, dis een van die goedkoper parte wat ek al moes koop.

So by the way - ek check toe gisteroggend (engin koud) die Hilux se dipstick en sien dat hy oorvol is (hy het mos onlangs gegaan vir 'n service). Die olie le omtrent 5mm of meer oor die vol merk! Nou wonder ek net is die regte tyd om die olie level te check as die engin koud is of as hy warm is? Is dit 'n groot probleem as jy so ry? Wat kan gebeur? Kan dit nie ook 'n olielek veroorsaak nie? Moet ek maar so bietjie olie laat aftap?

Jammer vir al die vrae, maar ek is maar dom met karre.
There's no stupid question.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

For those who are interested the part number is: 15407 67010
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Now enjoy your KZ :cooldude: :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
KZTE Nut
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE DC 4x2

Post by KZTE Nut »

Johannes, thanks for the part number :thumbup: