Saldanha to Trekoskraal?

Planning a trip or you need information about trails in your area.
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: '89 Hilux SFA - SOLD; '95 Hilux - STOLEN; '67 Series 2A Land Rover; 3.5 V6 Pajero; 120 Prado VX 4.0

Saldanha to Trekoskraal?

Post by the BuTch3R »

Hi Guys,

I'll be camping with friends at Saldanha in the next few weeks and noticed an interesting sand track on Google Maps that stretches along the coast between Saldanha, Jacobs Bay and Trekoskraal.

Does anyone know firstly whether it is accessible to public, and secondly whether it there is any worth in taking the drive?

Would it perhaps be a better idea to drive down to Trekos from the main road, and then down along the coast down as far as I can go (to the dunes perhaps), before I turn around and go back the way I came?

Some potential "obtacles" along the way.... :blackeye:
dune.jpg
more dunes.jpg
SuidWes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Re: Saldanha to Trekoskraal?

Post by SuidWes »

You can drive from Saldanha, Tabakbaai to Jacobsbaai but not from Jacobsbaai to Trekoskraal... Some locked gates in the way :)

From Trekos there are some nice spots following the coastline back towards Jacobsbaai....

Also worth visiting the Saldanha harbour area for I think R2 :thumbup:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: '89 Hilux SFA - SOLD; '95 Hilux - STOLEN; '67 Series 2A Land Rover; 3.5 V6 Pajero; 120 Prado VX 4.0

Post by the BuTch3R »

Thanks Jaco,

I'll probably give Jacobs a miss then and go straight to Trekos and do some sight seeing along the coast there. :thumbup:

Will definitely take the family for a trip to the harbour. :cooldude:
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Johannes van die See »

Shaun

Sorry buddy, can't be done.
Between Trekoskraal and Jacobsbaai there is a stretch of farm land called Swartriet.
It is private property and can not be crossed, yes there are dirt roads but you'll have to cut
fences to go trough.
Secondly, we do sometimes take the risk to go play, but if you get caught in the dunes the
fine is R2000 and it is being monitored, especially over weekends.
You don't necessarily have to go to the dunes to test your 4x4 skills, there are a view
nice and steep dirt roads before you even enter the dunes, I doubt those are forbidden to ride?

Enjoy
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.goblacksam.com
Image Link Broken
Langebaan Lagoon & Deep Sea Fishing Charters
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by the BuTch3R »

Hmmmm. That's a shame.

Are there any sign boards to indicate that this area is restricted ? :twisted:

I've heard you can drive up from trekos to tietiesbaai though. Is this at least legal?
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

the BuTch3R wrote:Are there any sign boards to indicate that this area is restricted ?
No sign boards - the locals keep taking them down :o:
the BuTch3R wrote:I've heard you can drive up from trekos to tietiesbaai though. Is this at least legal?
you use to be able to but then you will do a section on the beach, in addition there are poles up where you have to get off the beach and go over the dunes. Notr legal. Entry from Tietiesbaai onlt these days.
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Johannes van die See »

the BuTch3R wrote:Geez, ok ?! :wth:

So I might go, I might not. And if I do go........I unfortunately won't be posting a trip report :angel:
Shaun

If you go on the weekend of the 22nd I can even go show you some nice kreef diving spots at Trekos.
:thumbup:
http://www.goblacksam.com
Image Link Broken
Langebaan Lagoon & Deep Sea Fishing Charters
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Shaun, I also saw that track long ago and tried to find it.
You can forget about it.
From the Jacobsbaai side you will only get as far as the farm Swartriet. The farmer won't let you through. Apparently two years ago some guys thought they were clever and went over his fence with their vehicles and apparently he shot at them.

From the Trekoskraal you will get up to the dune area which is now a conservation area. If they catch you there you will get a R2000 fine

Jaco, the entrance fee to the harbour has been increased this year, it is now R5.00. Inflation rate might be below 10% but harbour entrance increased with more than 100%
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “Places to go”