Getting to West coast advice

Planning a trip or you need information about trails in your area.
JustinBr
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.2 DC

Getting to West coast advice

Post by JustinBr »

Hi Guys and Gals

I am trying to organise a trip down the west coast from the Orange river to Lambertsbaai (staying here for about a week).

However, I stay in Pretoria and have 2 options available to get there.

First there is the Richtersveld (northern cape) route, visiting all the little towns in the northern cape.

The other option is to head through botswana to Namib (sussusvlei, fish river, luderitz and then west coast. Perhaps even Nossob)

What would you recommend (keeping in mind that it is a 3 week holiday with at least 2 weeks spend driving down the coast - we don't smell the fresh sea breeze in gauteng that often!)

Any hints or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
No guts, no glory...
truckin
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2006 2.7VVTI Hilux SRX Single Cab 4x4

Re: Getting to West coast advice

Post by truckin »

hi Justin, i'd say the botswana route would be the more senic route :D but its a long long way :think: , i'd do it anyway, :thumbup: and if you go through namib, consider using the ferry at sendelings drift, a friend came back over it and he said it was easier and faster than the normal border crossing into sa, and from there u can even pop in at alexander bay,(i dont know if they stil alow cars in ) and go down to the mouth of the oranje river, i went there a few years ago and its awsome there, but there is so many options of routes when u get to namaqua, u can even drive the namaqua 4x4 route backwards from alexanderbay to viools drift, and then take tar down the rest, i have a map here somewhere of the namaqua 4x4, i'll see if i can find it and try to post it here :eh:
“The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.”

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. - Not screaming like all the passengers in his car -
JustinBr
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.2 DC

Post by JustinBr »

Yes, I was thinking the ideal route would be through Nam, then over the Orange with the ferry and down the coastal road. Apparently it is accessible if you buy a permit. Well, that's what I heard.
No guts, no glory...
truckin
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2006 2.7VVTI Hilux SRX Single Cab 4x4

Post by truckin »

Hi Justin,

I havnt found my maps yet, :oops: but here's a small write up of the trail if you are interrested, :angel: and yes i see u hav to book for the trail, :? we never booked we just went :shh:

Section 2, running from Vioolsdrif to Alexander Bay, can be done in one day if you follow the badly corrugated public roads. Or it can be done in 2 to 4 days, exploring the unique mountain tracks of the Southern Richtersveld. The second leg of the route commences at Vioolsdrif and runs past Kotzeshoop, Eksteensfontein and Kuboes on its way to Alexander Bay. There are general dealer stores at all these settlements.

http://www.4x4enroute.com/new_page_48.htm

All bookings for the trail must be made at Namakwa Tourism at tel 027 718 2985 / 6 or tourismsbk@namakwa-dm.co.za.
“The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.”

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. - Not screaming like all the passengers in his car -
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

JustinBr wrote:I am trying to organise a trip down the west coast from the Orange river to Lambertsbaai (staying here for about a week).
Have a look at the latest SA4X4 as they did the rout as well. There is the Shipwreck and Sandveld route before it joins up with the Caracal route (only a portion) and the Wes coast Echo trail. We are headed that way for 7 days (Easter weekend -before and after) also have a look at the Wegry they had an article of the West coast/Caracal route a few months back.

I would ahve don the Bots, Nam thing - but 3 weeks is a bit short and you might find yourself driving every day while in Nam and Bots. 4 weeks will beter imho.

Return to “Places to go”