Towing

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
Ruger
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.7i 4X2 double cab Raider 2003

Towing

Post by Ruger »

Hi

I tow a Conqueror Companion with my Hilux 2.7i 2x4 D/C. I have no problem towing the trailer which weighs approximately 1000 kg`s loaded. I had TJM XGS shock absorbers fitted to absorb a bit of the load. The trailer tends to create a see-saw reaction on the Hilux on a slightly bumpy road.
Will this be minimised if I fit a Loadhog? I have already fitted a Trapezium Off-Road stabilizer. It stops the trailer from swaying but does nothing for up and down movement. Can anybody offer some advise please? :?:

Andre J van Rensburg
Andre J van Rensburg
2.7i Raider D/C
Conqueror Companion
Zandyl
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mokopane
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7i 4x4 DC

Re: Towing

Post by Zandyl »

Check if it is running nose up or nose down, it should run nose down, if not, fit a drop plate
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Andre, had a similar problem with my off-road trailor. It was I called it 'jigging' behind the van.

I took it to a spring fitment centre and requested them to fit 2 shocks. And walla 'jigging' gone :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I threw my drop-plate off ..... ended up being nothing more than a glorified plow! :D: In fact I went one further .... removed the U-shaped gusset that the hitch-ball / drop-plate attaches to and fitted a modified one that does'nt hang down from the bumper. Much better departure angle and also saves the trailer's A-frame from dragging through obstacles. Might not be ideal, but for me it's been worth it. :wink:

Oh, Mark, The shocks on the trailer definitely works! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Zandyl
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mokopane
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7i 4x4 DC

Post by Zandyl »

I threw my drop-plate off ..... ended up being nothing more than a glorified plow!
my normal towbal height is 670mm, so i must use a drop plate.
when i get to my destination i take it of
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I still intend to make a custom rear bumper with integral water tank and proper high lift jack / recovery points. I will fit a removeable ball as well as make other accessories that can be fitted to the same sleeve. Time is the bug-bear ..... the forum soaks up too much of it! :lol:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Ruger wrote:The trailer tends to create a see-saw reaction on the Hilux on a slightly bumpy road.
I agree with the advice given so far.

I base my reply on the fact that you say it only occurs on a slightly bumpy road.

It might also be that your van’s spring packs are losing its tention and therefore creating the “see-saw” effect. The Load hog will strengthen your spring pack as it adds tention to the rear portion (behind the axle) of the spring pack firming it up.

The Load hog will do the following:

http://www.loadhog.co.za/
UP-RATED SUSPENSION FOR PICKUPS AND 4x4'S

Load Hog® Helper Springs are a revolutionary patented suspension system designed to dramatically improve handling and stability of pick-ups and 4x4's whilst carrying maximum rated loads. Load Hog® Helper Springs are ideally suited to vehicles carrying both occasional and permanent loads.
The Load Hog® systems' unique progressive action varies the rate of support depending on the load, so even the handling on an un-loaded vehicle is enhanced without compromising a smooth ride.

WITH LoadHog®
• Reduces Rear End Sag
• Reduces Body Roll
• Improved Handling And Stability, Loaded Or Unloaded
• More Responsive Suspension
• No More Bottoming Out
• Reduced Sway And Drift
• Improved Safety And Comfort for Occupants
• Smooth Stable Ride When Empty
• Reduced Tyre, Shock and
Suspension Wear.

It will improve you load carrying capacity and give you a lift on the “minimum setting” of around 20 to 25 mm but that is different on each vehicle. As it curves the rear portion of the spring pack it might interfere with the rear braking system (cables in the way and not able to move freely ….). IMHO it will create a more stable ride as it firm up the rear portion of the spring pack and by doing so will alleviate the possible “see saw” from the spring pack that has started losing its tention.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Instead of fitting a drop plate"plough", make a spacer to fit inbetween the trailer coupler and trailer chassis.

"jigging" can also be caused by a too short trailer "A" bar and not enough weight on the coupler, i distribute the load on my trailer to get about 70kg on the ball.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Ogre
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux SFA

Post by Ogre »

Howzit guys

Will my 2.2 4Y SFA Hilux be able to tow a 620kg caravan?

Regards

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”