Freeflow Exhaust Recommendations

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
kevine
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hi Lux 2.7i 4x2

Freeflow Exhaust Recommendations

Post by kevine »

Good Morning All
My good fortune began in October 2005 when I bought a 4x2 2003 Hilux 2.7i. The only problem I had was that both the silencers had holes in it and rattled like a tin of coins. I then replaced both the silencers with normal Bosal ones. I now discovered that the front silencer is full of small cracks where the pipe joins to go to the back.

Surely this is not normal to replace an exhaust every two years. I travel about 20 000km’s a year and do miss an opportunity to go offroading.

I now want to replace my entire exhaust system with a free flow exhaust.
What system do the experts recommend that is available in Gauteng?

Regards
Kevine
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Re: Freeflow Exhaust Recommendations

Post by BenHur »

Kevine

I do not know places in Joburg but I can recommend places in PTA. Most probably any place that build free flow systems will use thicker wall pipe and silencers also made out of thicker plate than the average coffee tin silencers that Bosal and the likes supply. It might also be worth your while to get a shop that is willing to build you a system where the first portion up to the first small free flow box is made of mild steel and the rear portion out of stainless steel. It is normally the back portion that corrodes the quickest. I had such a pipe made for my Golf at a place called NOVA exhausts in Pretoria and drove it for 7 years with that pipe before selling it and the system was still OK. But if money is not a problem install a complete stainless steel system.
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Hi Kevine

I had my exhaust done at Powerflow Exhausts in Fordsburg (tel 0118330771). It cost me R1200 for the 50mm Stainless Steel exhaust system with a low tone that isn't noisy at all and R1400 for the Wildcat branch.

They do a good job and their price is level as exhausts go but if you use them make sure they understand what you want as they replaced my wildcat branch (that has nothing wrong with it) with a new one. I didnt have the energy to fight with them or wait for them to remove the new and put back the old.

If you are looking for a wildcat branch I have my old one to sell, take a look.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=363
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
kevine

Post by kevine »

Thanks for the recommendations. I gave Rand Stadium Toyota (witch I put all my faith in as I had excellent service from them in the past) a call just to hear what they had to say on this topic. A company called TNT exhausts in Germiston was recommended. Apparently their workmanship is excellent. I was quoted R3000 for a full stainless steel system with a branch. They use a special bending technique what I did not catch what it is all about. It was something about that normal bends restricts the airflow. A 7-10 hp gain was promised to me.
I am now hunting for a K&N air filter. What is the use of a free flow exhaust without a decent filter?
My appointment is for next Friday and cannot wait. I will post again and let everyone know how it went.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Don't be in too much of a hurry for that K&N filter. As I recall, there were some posts about it in another forum and the verdict was not really all that much in favour of it.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

glevey
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by glevey »

I agree with Family Dog. K&N does not have a good name. On other forums, people complain about them

FTD

Geoff
Geoff Levey
PC Panic cc
ZS6GRL (WAZS)
Vice Chairman - West Rand Amateur Radio Club (ZS6WR)
GP 0717 - Professional 4X4 Overland & Tourist Guide
Honorary Officer North West Parks & Tourism Board
kevine

Post by kevine »

Thanks........i will search for those posts.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

kevine wrote: A company called TNT exhausts in Germiston was recommended.
I heard good things about them before ( could not remember the name before you mentioned it again) but I think it was Tophilux Hilton who mentioned them on the Community forum in a discusion we had over freeflows before.

Regarding the aircleaner. Stick to the Donaldsons Aircleaner. The other ones will only shorten your engine life as they will allow garbage into the engine. Less restriction also means less filtration.
mudavanhu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: midrand
Vehicle: TOYOTA HILUX

Post by mudavanhu »

where can one get Donaldson airfilter for 2.7 year 2000 model
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Midas or AutoZone should keep the Gud or Fram equivalent.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
mudavanhu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: midrand
Vehicle: TOYOTA HILUX

Post by mudavanhu »

thanks will check
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

kevine wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:13 am Good Morning All
My good fortune began in October 2005 when I bought a 4x2 2003 Hilux 2.7i. The only problem I had was that both the silencers had holes in it and rattled like a tin of coins. I then replaced both the silencers with normal Bosal ones. I now discovered that the front silencer is full of small cracks where the pipe joins to go to the back.

Surely this is not normal to replace an exhaust every two years. I travel about 20 000km’s a year and do miss an opportunity to go offroading.

I now want to replace my entire exhaust system with a free flow exhaust.
What system do the experts recommend that is available in Gauteng?

Regards
Kevine
Hi Guys,

Hi saw this post from Kevine and didn't realise it was from 2007, anyway with regards to performance exhausts, I have had my complete Land Cruiser exhaust (including the branches) manufactured by Viper (In Edenvale). Their service was great and the truck went much better thereafter.
Read up on some of the work they do at this link: https://www.viperperformance.co.za/
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
manarc73
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: 3.0D-4D D/C 4x4

Post by manarc73 »

Probeer Filtration & Transmission Services in Florida, 011 672 5347. Ek kry al my D-4D filters daar

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”