Tow Strap

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
schalkjk
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Legend50

Tow Strap

Post by schalkjk »

Hi all

I need some of your insigts wrt a good tow strap that I can keep in the vehicle.
What Ill be using it for is to to the odd assist next to the road to get a vehicle either off the road to a safer spot or even use it to tow a vehicle a few km's to a service station, petrol garage or a house.
I do tend to help people stuck next to the road in some cases.
I had a simple tow strap before but I had to discard it after 2 uses. The nylon stands started pulling apart. It was a cheapy and decided it is too dangerous using this.

I also need to accuire a set of good bow shackles.

Any insigts would be appreciated please. Also where to buy.

Thanks
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Tow Strap

Post by Mud Dog »

You can try Midas. They usually keep bow shackles as well. Get the 10 ton rated strap and minimum 5m length .... I prefer longer because the brakes of the vehicle being towed are usually no longer assisted by the booster (engine not running). A longer strap gives the towed vehicle a little more space to stop. A steel towing bar is even better but of course not something that you can carry around all the time.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
schalkjk
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Legend50

Post by schalkjk »

Thanks MudDog
Ill go have a look.
Do you have any insights on what to watch out for when choosing a strap? Or is it just the weight rating?
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

U snatch rope tows much better then a tow strap :surrender: Try it. :D:
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

As Johan says, a snatch rope tows nicely and it has elasticity so no jarring and less chance of damaging anything, but they're pricey by comparison to a tow rope.

The weak points of tow ropes is the stitched loop. If the stitching looks robust it should be OK and if the loop has a protective sheath, even better. The weight rating is important though.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

I buy the 10 ton ratchet strap without the ratchet itself mostly second hand you can pick them up from R40.If required cut the hook off and tie a bow shackle on if necessary but if you going to tie it to either side of the vehicle be careful how you tie it as they can pull extremely tight and you will battle to get them loose.

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”