diagnostics

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
mudavanhu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: midrand
Vehicle: TOYOTA HILUX

diagnostics

Post by mudavanhu »

how do i reset engine light warning and alternator fail charge light not showing.what scanner do i use on my hilux 2.7 year 2001 model.am new here
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Re: diagnostics

Post by Rigger »

You can’t reset the alternator charging light. When it is on in the cluster, then its not charging. Have you checked the charging with a multi meter? Should read between 13.5 and 14.5 Volts approximate.
mudavanhu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re:

Post by mudavanhu »

Whats displaying is the engine light
mudavanhu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mudavanhu »

my hilux 2001 model,2,7 will idle well at start up until it reaches operating temperature.After that the rev will drop from 1000RPM to about between 550RPM and 650RPM .This only happens when the engine is hot.Please help.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

With a cold start and the cold start valve active, it should be idling higher than 1000rpm (somewhere around 1200rpm) and as soon as it warms up and the cold start valve deactivates, the idle should drop down to about 800 / 900rpm.

So it would seem that there is something else that is causing the revs all round to be lower than it should be. Injectors on the petrol models very rarely (if ever) give trouble, so I doubt that has anything to do with it. Likewise, if it's running fine without missing, the ignition system is also not a likely culprit.

Mapping would have an effect, but it's a factory set ECU, so I also have reservations about it being a mapping problem. What is the airflow like? Has anything changed? Like fitting a snorkel or doing some form of modification to the intake or air-box. When last was the air filter cleaned / changed?

If you think back to when the problem started, had there been any work done on the vehicle at that time? Maybe something was damaged / mis-adjusted / interfered with. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
mudavanhu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mudavanhu »

bakkie is fitted with housing for turbo charger but it was blanked off so its no longer in action,it drives well does not misfire only drops idle speed when idling at stand still,snorkel not fitted but i want to fit it,air filter replaced during service intervals of 11000km
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Strange. If it were sucking air somewhere on the intake, the revs would be higher than normal, not lower. Wonder if the TPS is working properly. Try adjusting the idle up a bit. Also not sure if your motor has an ICV, if it has, that may be blocked.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

It could be the idle air control valve. Not sure how the Hilux one is. Some have water flow through it. When corrosion builds up inside it causes an uneven idle.

Some do not have a water intake.

Remove the electronic plug from the idle air control valve. If it idles ok then that’s your fault.
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm thinking differently Ricky. If the ICV is blocked (or not working), it restricts the airflow and the idle is lower than should be .... of course this affects only the idle speed.

So I'm more likely to think that if you disconnect the ICV and there is no difference to the idle, then the ICV may well be the problem.

Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

Mud Dog wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:28 am I'm thinking differently Ricky. If the ICV is blocked (or not working), it restricts the airflow and the idle is lower than should be .... of course this affects only the idle speed.

So I'm more likely to think that if you disconnect the ICV and there is no difference to the idle, then the ICV may well be the problem.
I tried reading again.
Mudavanhu stated that the revs drop from 1000RPM to about between 550RPM and 650RPM.
I understood it as the revs are fluctuating from 550 to 650. If so when disconnecting the ICV, the revs will stabilize somewhat but may switch off. Then the ICV is the culprit.

If it is not fluctuating, that is a steady rev at 550 or 650 then you may be also right.
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I hope that Mudavanhu gets sorted whatever the cause turns out to be. :D: :winkx:

mudavanhu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mudavanhu »

Thanks guys i will try and do a follow up according to your suggestions thanks a lot,i will come back to you
mudavanhu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mudavanhu »

Just a question, wont a packing up petrol pump cause this fluctuation of idle speed

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I don't think that's your problem. If the pump is faltering and delivering insufficient pressure, to my mind the motor will probably misfire and it would be worse at revs when the fuel demand is higher.

mudavanhu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mudavanhu »

Ok cool

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

Its not your petrol pump as you would loose power long before your idling becomes a problem.
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
mudavanhu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mudavanhu »

did all you guys said,now its sometimes idle at 800 even when engine is hot and sometimes well at the correct range and then sometimes still flactuates
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

If it idles high and returns to the normal low idle after you blip the throttle, then you have a sticky cable or butterfly mechanism. You can check it better by opening the hood when the idle is high and turning the throttle closed manually at the throttle body. If that doesn't make any difference, then I think you have a sensor problem of some kind that is giving an intermittent false reading to the ECU.

mudavanhu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mudavanhu »

ok,cool
will try

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”