CATS

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
Arri
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.7VVT-i Raised Body Raider s/c lwb 2008

CATS

Post by Arri »

As you all know the new range of vehicles comes out ith Catalytic converters, At least theu claim to. I have also been told by different mechanics that it's not full catalytic convertres, because SA do not need to comply with International emmission stands and uses a watered down version if at all, with an oxygyne sensor and carbon filter.
And like with most new Toyotas, my elderly mothers Yarris included, when you stop after driving a while, you get that rotten egg smell. Toyotas excuse is that it's due to the high sulfur content in our perol petrol(What choice do we Vaalies have all our petrol come from Sasol whether it be different brands or not.
Not a bother for me thoughh as I am concerned about the poor bloke -on his moter cycle at the stop street.
Can this be damaging in anyway?I cannot believe it's due to the engine running too rich or to lean, because all new Toyotas does that, even overseas.
And does the two little cats fitted really work or are they jut for show?
I am considering going for SAC stage two conversion with dainless freeflo exhaust once my warrane is up.

PS. I laid off the baked beans, eat as much you like pasta and mamams pies, but it did not chane a thing ..........................

Have you encountered this when stopping at an intersection whit the windows open or pulleng into the garage?(Petrol engines, Diesel smells that way anyway)

Regards .
Arri
Arriwyks
Toyota Fan
arriwyks@gmail.com

ImageImageImageImage
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: CATS

Post by CasKru »

Arri wrote:As you all know the new range of vehicles comes out ith Catalytic converters, At least theu claim to. I have also been told by different mechanics that it's not full catalytic convertres, because SA do not need to comply with International emmission stands and uses a watered down version if at all, with an oxygyne sensor and carbon filter.
And like with most new Toyotas, my elderly mothers Yarris included, when you stop after driving a while, you get that rotten egg smell. Toyotas excuse is that it's due to the high sulfur content in our perol petrol(What choice do we Vaalies have all our petrol come from Sasol whether it be different brands or not.
Not a bother for me thoughh as I am concerned about the poor bloke -on his moter cycle at the stop street.
Can this be damaging in anyway?I cannot believe it's due to the engine running too rich or to lean, because all new Toyotas does that, even overseas.
And does the two little cats fitted really work or are they jut for show?
I am considering going for SAC stage two conversion with dainless freeflo exhaust once my warrane is up.

PS. I laid off the baked beans, eat as much you like pasta and mamams pies, but it did not chane a thing ..........................

Have you encountered this when stopping at an intersection whit the windows open or pulleng into the garage?(Petrol engines, Diesel smells that way anyway)

Regards .
Arri
Just a quick correction. Our fuel is supplied mostly by the Natref plant which is a joined venture between Sasol and Total. The other plant is the coal plant in Secunda which is Sasol. And if I could choose, I would have preferred to get all my fuel from there as coal produce cleaner diesel and petrol. :)

There is also other dangers with the catalytic converters not many people are aware off. The become extremely hot and is therefore and extreme fire hazard when doing veld driving through tall dry grass :shock: :shock:

m2cw
To God be the glory
Arri
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Arri »

So Thats why my bakkie have all those unusual shiny heatshields between the bak and the exhaust. But this is a common problem with many new Toyota's and even Lexus, I believe if it idles the CAT is not working like it should. It doesn't really bother me but I've heard many people complain about this and Toyota doesn't own up to the problem instead blaming the fuel sulphur content. I really doesn't bother me and gives me an excuse for the bacon&egg Mcmuffin at the drive through. But still we pay for those two funny boxes and oxygen sensors on the branches. A ford mechanic told me it's also just fools cat converter auto makers fit for SA vehicles. The way we are paying for Petrol/Diesel these days leads me to wonder if DeBeers doesn't make our fuel out of diamonds......
What do you guys think about LP Gas conversions e.g. http://www.arunautogas.co.uk/Toyota_Hilux_Vigo_2006.htm although my experience is it's illegal for public use and even deregulated the price for gas stays in par with the petrol price.
Arriwyks
Toyota Fan
arriwyks@gmail.com

ImageImageImageImage
Spook
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Swakopmund
Vehicle: Hilux 4Y 4x4 s/cab, 3.0 D-4D

Post by Spook »

Here in Namibia an owner of a new 2.7 Hilux's performance was lost in the bundu in the north and his bakkie could nont even get up to 80km/hour. At a layman's garage the mechanic told him it was the CAT an dhe proceeded to remove the item and showed him that the innards were damaged. He took a 'koevoet' and proceeded to remove the stuff inside and re-fitted the CAT. Now the 2.7 had power unknown to the owner before and was more than a km/litre lighter on fuel....
Arri
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Arri »

Yip I have heard simmular tales, and all along we are paying through our ears for thes complicatded expensive extra gadgets, oxygyne sensors and so on, and I am still not confirmed that the ones we have fitted in SA are a full cat anyway. And I still don't see the planet getting any healthier with all these cats on new vehicles, they get extra hot, stink when you idle and needs servicing and replacement of carbon filters. When myne is finnished, I will replace it with a regular or freeflow stainless steel. I feel if emission controll is such a big issue, they should start with industry and the masses of public transport, who really does influence the pollution, not the poor okes who needs their reliability to travel offroad. One guy suggested we convert to ethanol becuase it's much cleaner burning, cheaper, as it's a by proiduct of many processes, but the only problem being with that is, many guys will have a tap from long range tank inside the cabin and mix it with their water for those long trips. Then there is LP Gas, if it weren't so expensive, and scarce it would be a real sollution as it's also much cleaner burning, most petrol engines can be converted fairly easily and SASOL also makes petrol out of LP Gaz. There is no shortage of it in the earths' reserves just not economical to substract it like mosgas and so on, Hell there planets in our solar system who'se atmosphere is made out of gas. But just to long a trip to reach it and currently toyota doesn't offer 4X4 s yet that can go there, but who knows, those Japs are smart................
Arriwyks
Toyota Fan
arriwyks@gmail.com

ImageImageImageImage
mudavanhu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: midrand
Vehicle: TOYOTA HILUX

Post by mudavanhu »

sorry old post but i have a question,when one is removing a catalytic converter,do you have to join back straight exhaust pipe or you must put a dummy shape CAT or what ,please help on how i must do it
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Just replace with a straight through pipe. You could do as was said in an above post and remove the guts of the cat and refit the empty box.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
mudavanhu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: midrand
Vehicle: TOYOTA HILUX

Post by mudavanhu »

thanks will do so this weekend

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”