GPS system on new 2012 Hilux

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

Re: GPS system on new 2012 Hilux

Post by Mikie »

Thanks Mark
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

I have only one complaint on this unit:

The RDS doesnt seem to be all that great, whenever I drive into a basement or somewhere where it will want to start searching for a better signal of the station I am listening to, it does it but then tunes into another station entirely. Maybe something I still need to set but its a pain.
Apart from that I am still as happy as a pig in Shit
RiyadhFortuner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Lansdowne
Vehicle: 2015 Ford Ranger T6

Post by RiyadhFortuner »

I think that is normal as the signal is too weak, it then takes the next nearest strongest one. I have experienced this with a few name brand radios.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

RiyadhFortuner wrote:I think that is normal as the signal is too weak, it then takes the next nearest strongest one. I have experienced this with a few name brand radios.
First Unit that I ever experienced it with, my stock one would just try and then stay where is was
RiyadhFortuner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by RiyadhFortuner »

maybe somthing to do with the tuner, or aerial. You can try a signal amplifier to boos the reception, or maybe just a longer aerial
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Mark_Ashford »

As far as I'm aware, the Hilux has an additional wire which is used to power the antenna (probably for a signal booster?). If it's not correctly connected then you may experience reception issues which will affect the RDS function.

Have the installer check this or give Rob Savage from AV Technique a call (012 335 9583), their physical address is 510 Voortrekker Road, Gezina, Pretoria
Philly
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Jhb
Vehicle: 2014 Toyota Prado VX D4D

Post by Philly »

Thank for the reply Mike.
I am really itching to get 1 now, but it will have to wait a month or so. Bike need sto go in for Major Service R3000 to R4000, wich sucks. But has to be done first.

Mark, do you have a cost in mind for the SA Maps or is it still bit early?
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

Not yet Philly but if you want to pm your email address I'll make sure it's added to the mailing list, this way you'll receive an update as soon as it's launched.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Mark have you got any Expected timelines?
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

Hi Mikie, looks like it'll be available from mid September onwards. In the meantime feel free to use Mapfactor free version (http://navigatorfree.mapfactor.com/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), it's not as good as the NAVTEQ maps but they are free after all. You can download their installer and then select the Pocket PC version which the installer will then load directly onto the memory card including the map/s, voices.. that you select.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Fantastic, will try this version for now, now just to get memory card
RiyadhFortuner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by RiyadhFortuner »

I have downloaded that navigator to my cellphone, must say that I am very impressed with it. I see it also has gravel roads but have yet to try that
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Anyone have any tips on how to load this??
I downloaded it and then loaded PocketPC version to the memory card, asks which maps and language etc
Put the card into the radio and it says no maps loaded, what am I doing wrong??
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

Hi Mikie, you need to configure it first before the system is able to run the software. I don't have the exact steps you need to follow but if you don't come right with the below mentioned then please log into your account then click on "My Account" followed by "Submit Ticket". From there you can select Technical and request a step by step guide on how to configure the path settings.

* Go through your settings and search for the path settings option
* Search the files on the memory card and select the .exe file (for MapFactor it's named "navigator.exe" last I checked)
* Once the file has been selected the system "knows" which file to run when you want to use the navigation function, just go all the way back and launch "NAVI" mode
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Thanks Mark, I logged it, there is no .exe file, only a .cab file
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Excellent, thanks for the help, I got it working, I think I need to relocate the GPS Receiver though, it battles to get a signal under the roof lining.
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

Hi Mikie, a good location is inside the A pillar which keeps the antenna out of sight and doesn't interfere too much with the signal.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

I was thinking top of the windscreen in the middle, just above the mirror, should get minimal interference there
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

That's fine but you'll have more work and it won't make a big difference, you should easily pick up at least 6-7 satellites with the antenna in the A pillar which is more than sufficient for triangulation. What you could do it move the antenna from the A pillar to the top of the windscreen by the mirror and see if there's a big difference, then decide where to install it.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Does that thing fit under the A Pillar cover?
I currently put it under the Roof lining above my head, but it battles to connect there
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

It should fit just fine as the antenna is relatively small and there's usually enough space inside the A pillar, I'm actually surprised you're picking up anything at all at the moment because the antenna needs "line of sight" so the roof would definitely be interfering with the signal the way it's installed now. How many satellites is it picking up and locking onto?
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Well currently none, I battled yesterday and eventually picked them up when I pulled it out to make sure everything was fine with it, put it back after and today I got nada
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

Have a look at the software settings to configure the receiver (BAUD Rate and COM Port), you should have an option to auto-detect. I suspect that you didn't configure the software correctly so the receiver is not correctly configured either, this will cause no satellites to be detected..
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

No I did that yesterday and it found them, I think its a line of sight thing, have to move the receiver first
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Moved it to just above the Mirror stuck to the windscreen and its perfect now

Cant wait for the Garmap edition to be released though, they much easier to use
Ex_Landi_Oke
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Fortuner 3D4D 4x2

Post by Ex_Landi_Oke »

Hey Mark,

I have ordered my iNav Toyota Hilux In Dash DVD/GPS Unit. Payment has been made via EFT. How can i confirm that you have received. Cant wait for the unit to arrive.!

Cheers,
MarkB

http://www.stopshop.co.za/buy-toyota-hi ... a300-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

Hi Mark, you'll receive an email once your payment has been received. If you paid from a FNB account then payment is usually confirmed within 2 hours and your order status changes to "payment accepted", if you paid from a non FNB account then it may take up to 2 business days to receive your payment. Feel free to pm your order number if you want me to look into your order and check the current status or use our ticket system logging into your account and clicking on "Submit ticket".
Ex_Landi_Oke
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Fortuner 3D4D 4x2

Post by Ex_Landi_Oke »

Hi Mark,

Thanks i will you pm you. Im FLIPPING excited to get my new Toy. I have 4 Toyota Hilux and Tuna mates that is now waiting for me to receive my new toy so that they can decide if they want or not.

Cheers,
Mark
Raider_007
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: Hilux 2x4 D4D

Post by Raider_007 »

Hi guys this is a great thread.
I have taken delivery of my pre-owned bakkie today! So happy!! I have been playing with the system and I love the new visual audio system in the 2012 Hilux. I have had one or two issues with my phone (iPhone) where the sound would just disappear after switching it off and on. My bakkie was built right at the end of last year so basically it’s one of the early facelift models. Does anyone know if there are any firmware/software updates that can be applied to the radio unit which maybe sorts out some of the glitches?

Thanks in advance!

Pieter
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

Hi Raider, I doubt you'll get firmware for the original system and I'm 99% that your problem is not firmware related (referring to the HU). Firstly, most mobile phone manufacturer are developing their own Bluetooth protocols to work better with their Bluetooth devices and accessories so more often than in the past, Bluetooth devices are becoming somewhat incompatible with other devices that are not of the same brand. iPhones are notorious when it come to Bluetooth issues with non-Apple accessories, even a Galaxy S2's Bluetooth for example cannot find/pair with the original Satnav system that comes in the pre-facelift C-Class (W204). They basically want their devices to work with their accessories only (clever aren't they..), it's another way of boosting sales by forcing customers to purchase oem accessories instead of after-market ones.

I suggest you try and update your phone and see if that helps, otherwise I'm afraid there's very little you can do to get it to work perfectly at all times.
Raider_007

Post by Raider_007 »

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes one of the reasons I went for this model was because of the phone integration and other nice features that comes with the sound system. I travel a lot and this is a big bonus for me. I might look at upgrading the unit with one from StopShop. I see they have GPS built in as well. Has anyone had any issues with those units when it comes to phone connectivity etc?
RiyadhFortuner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by RiyadhFortuner »

Hi, check with toyota, earlier this year my radio had a software upgrade after some issue with the bluetooth. Maybe they can tell if it must still be done to yours
Raider_007

Post by Raider_007 »

Thanks I will ask and let you guys know what they say.
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

Like RiyadhFortuner suggested, see if Toyota is able to assist as well as updating your phone's firmware. As for your question regarding phone connectivity issues with our systems, there have been a few cases and more so iPhone related. We simply suggest updating the phone's firmware and in most cases the problems have been solved, all other brands seem to work well.

Check out the following link, maybe it'll help to see how others have resolved iPhone Bluetooth issues; http://www.google.co.za/#hl=en&sclient= ... 44&bih=984" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Raider_007

Post by Raider_007 »

Great thanks for the help guys! I have contacted my Toyota dealer and am awaiting his response. My phone is on the latest firmware.

Thanks again.
RiyadhFortuner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by RiyadhFortuner »

I need some help. I received the replacement stop shop radio from someone as a present, for my 2012 fortuner. I have connected everything, but there is one small square plug left unplugged. My reverse camera display doesnt switch when I select reverse so i figure that his plug is for the camera. What do I connect to it?
:arrow: Then I have 2 Rca Plugs coming off the big plastic block on the new radio, it reads Aux R in, Aux L in where do I connect this to? or is it for an auxillary device?
:arrow: Then there are a whole bunch of RCA plugs - RL Out, RR Out, FR Out, FL Out Is this to connect to an amp?
2-zone R out, 2-zone L Out What is this For?
Aux vid in, Aux R in Aux L in - Are these also for auxillary device?
Camera In - Is this for the reverse Camera?
Video Out - Is this so that i can connect another display to play DVDs on the headunit as well as on another screen?
Then There are 3 loose wires - Orange wire labelled Amp-C I think this is for amp ignition power, Blue wire labelled Back what is this for? parking Sensore? and then thre is a blue wire with a white stripe that is labelled brake. I think this is a safety wire for when the handbrake is down then the dvd wont play.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

The RCA Plugs would be for an amp.

Doesnt the manual explain these?
RiyadhFortuner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by RiyadhFortuner »

the manual is a bit vague, as there is alot of plugs
KPG
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Fortuner

GCTICE DVD GPS Navigation system

Post by KPG »

Hi

I have ordered a new OEM replacement unit from GCTICE. http://www.gctice.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
The guys there offered me a great deal with LCD Headrests as well. Matching Beige colour.

Only thing they dont do fitment, but they referred me to someone who did a good job.

Great product and service.
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

RiyadhFortuner wrote:I need some help. I received the replacement stop shop radio from someone as a present, for my 2012 fortuner. I have connected everything, but there is one small square plug left unplugged. My reverse camera display doesnt switch when I select reverse so i figure that his plug is for the camera. What do I connect to it?
:arrow: Then I have 2 Rca Plugs coming off the big plastic block on the new radio, it reads Aux R in, Aux L in where do I connect this to? or is it for an auxillary device?
:arrow: Then there are a whole bunch of RCA plugs - RL Out, RR Out, FR Out, FL Out Is this to connect to an amp?
2-zone R out, 2-zone L Out What is this For?
Aux vid in, Aux R in Aux L in - Are these also for auxillary device?
Camera In - Is this for the reverse Camera?
Video Out - Is this so that i can connect another display to play DVDs on the headunit as well as on another screen?
Then There are 3 loose wires - Orange wire labelled Amp-C I think this is for amp ignition power, Blue wire labelled Back what is this for? parking Sensore? and then thre is a blue wire with a white stripe that is labelled brake. I think this is a safety wire for when the handbrake is down then the dvd wont play.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Don't you mean that you got it from someone that purchased it from overseas and not from Stop Shop as per the message you pm'd me? :?
RiyadhFortuner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by RiyadhFortuner »

Yes indeed, he bought for half the price from the supplier in china!! this I found out after you asked for an order number. I found a sound shop here that gave me all the relevant info I needed. I will be buying some other stuff from them too seeing how helpful they are and that they dont have policies about equipment not purchased from them
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

RiyadhFortuner wrote:Yes indeed, he bought for half the price from the supplier in china!! this I found out after you asked for an order number. I found a sound shop here that gave me all the relevant info I needed. I will be buying some other stuff from them too seeing how helpful they are and that they dont have policies about equipment not purchased from them
Riyaad, you're being a bit unfair with your comments aren't you? Your system was purchased elsewhere and now you're upset with us because we didn't assist you with your installation queries even though the system wasn't purchased from us, seriously? What if something went wrong based on our suggestions, would you then also blame us for offering free advice?

Wrong wrong.. :thumbdown:
RiyadhFortuner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by RiyadhFortuner »

Sorry I cant help that you guys have the policies that you do. A tyre shop wont turn you away for balancing, wheel alignment or a puncture just because you didnt buy the tyres from them.
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

I like your answer but there's a BIG difference between having your tyres balanced and going to Game asking for help installing a dish washer that you purchased from House & Home..
RiyadhFortuner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by RiyadhFortuner »

Sorry it had to come to this. But another sound shop has offered their HELP, pity so little people are willing, so thank you
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Can we put this behind us please guys? :think: :think:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

Agree.. (B)
PIETBAK
Town: Postmaburg
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner

Post by PIETBAK »

I just phoned Toyota SA head office. They informed me that software for the GPS is still not available. No timeframe is in place for this problem ans I supppose no action plan either. This is unacceptable and I need your help. If everybody with this problem contact the customer care department via fax, email or phone they will be obliged to either fix the problem or keep us up to date with the progress.
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

Hey Pieter, unfortunately it's not that simple and they didn't provide you with the correct information either. Although the facelift Fortuner & Hilux (with the silver headunit) have the navigation button, the system itself does not have the necessary hardware to run any maps on it (info supplied by Toyota themselves). They also told us that in SA, none of their customers were charged for the navigation so in essence, anyone that has either vehicle was not charged for navigation and can therefore not demand for something they (Toyota) didn't offer.

Like I said, this info was supplied to us by Toyota themselves a few months ago. This could have changed in the meantime but from the feedback we're getting from our customers that purchase our navigation systems for the facelifts models are confirming the same.
lloydbengtson
Town: Durban
Vehicle: 2012 Hilux 4.0 V6 H.E

Post by lloydbengtson »

Hi Quentin

Does your system allow for a tyre pressure monitoring system if you wanted one!?!?

I really want to get one of these units - Have you had any further developments/problems since your purchase?

Regards,

Lloyd
Durran
Town: JHB
Vehicle: D4D

Post by Durran »

Hi Mark,

Does thus unit have an aux port for iphone adapter for sound?

It has already ticketed the box for bluetooth and maps.

Anyone else have a unit that has bluetooth, maps and aux sound port?
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Durran wrote:Hi Mark,

Does thus unit have an aux port for iphone adapter for sound?

It has already ticketed the box for bluetooth and maps.

Anyone else have a unit that has bluetooth, maps and aux sound port?
Ipod port and cable
USB Port
SD Card
I think I have Aux in as well
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

Hi Durran, which model are you referring to?

All our systems have an iPod function and they also include the iPod cable to connect your iPod to the headunit. There's no need to use the AUX function to stream audio from your iPod to the system as that'll only play audio and not provide additional info such as tracks name etc.., best to use the actual iPod interface and simply select the " IPOD" icon from the main menu.
lloydbengtson

Post by lloydbengtson »

Sooooooooooooooooooo Guys!!

Which is the better unit? the caska or the one Quintin bought? Is the price a big factor? When you pay almost double then you would expect much better quality?

Some feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Lloyd
lloydbengtson

Post by lloydbengtson »

Dear Mark Ashford..

Which unit are you selling? Are you able to sell both units, or only the stopshop things? Would you reccommend the unit Quintin bought or are your units perfectly adequate?

Look forward to hearing from you soon,

Thanks

Lloyd
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

Our systems look exactly the same as the one Quintin has, I don't see any difference from the images he uploaded. As Quintin mentioned, the system fits perfectly and looks stock which is far better than some of the adaptations being made by some installers with fascias. We haven't had any complains of come backs on these models as they're actually based on the same platform of existing models (tried and tested).
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Hilux DC 3.0 D -4D 4X4
Club VHF Licence: HC 136

Post by Whisky »

I bought the CASKA unit :evil: . Yes it is expensive but it is the full house, rear view camera, T4A, tire pressure monitor, etc. I installed it myself with some help from the technical guys at Planet Electronics. Yes you do have a problem when the sunlight is from the front. You cannot see the screen that well but it is not a train smash, you do not watch the screen all the time.

I have not done the routing yet but will be doing this in December when I will be going on leave. I have played around with it a bit.

All said I am very happy with my unit. :yahoo:

Ben
Frederick
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Hendrina Mpumalanga
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux. 2016 79 Land Cruiser
Club VHF Licence: X42

Post by Frederick »

So, is almal nog ewe ingenome met die units wat hulle gekoop het?
Ek het 'n paar aaklige stories raak gelees oor caska en planetronics...
Maar die kenwoods is so vrek duur!!
So wat stel jul voor sit ek in 'n 2012 2.5 auto Fortuner aangesien hy nog met die ou radio uitkom? Ek wil graag he dat die radio 'n agterste kamera moet he en n telefoon funksie. Moet ook met die stering controls kan saamwerk.
Grumbles
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2008 Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 "Sushi"

Post by Grumbles »

Hi KPG,

Do you mind me asking what you paid for the unit? And who installed it and what that costs?

Lastly, does the GPS work well and what maps are used?

Thanks,

Grumbles
Hulle moet maar lekker in hulle Ford's ry...
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

Hey guys, have you seen the SSAS-TOYOTA250 model which is cheaper, better and faster than our SSAS-TOYOTA230 system which we launched for the new Hilux/Fortuner?

Here's the link; http://www.stopshop.co.za/356-buy-toyot ... gps-satnav

The interface is stunning, overall good performer at a great price. It's the 5th system on the above mentioned link and we also offer Desnav with Southern African maps (Navteq maps) at a reduced price if you order it with the system (R499.00), it's a damn good piece of software. Dare I say better than Garmap Drive for Wince, most of our customers seem to agree and it's also much cheaper. Unlike T4A which they currently offer on the iGO8 platform for Windows CE system, Desnav includes street maps by Navteq which are one of if not the best street maps available. I recommend that anyone that does some 4x4 to use T4A maps for off-roading and Desnav for day to day commuting.

Let me know your thoughts or if you have any questions about the system, cheers!

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”