Help needed thermostat housing

In many countries the Toyopet Stout was the first vehicle imported by Toyota. In South Africa they started in 1963.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Help needed thermostat housing

Post by pietpetoors »

I am looking for a Thermostat housing for a Toyota 5R engine for a Toyopet Stout.

I cannot find a new one but I want to see if maybe a 22R or 4Y thermostat housing will fit.

Can somebody please measure the distance between the bolts on your 4Y or 22R housing?
Sommer so more or less will be fine.
5R Thermostat Housing
5R Thermostat Housing
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Re: Help needed thermostat housing

Post by pietpetoors »

O ja the 5R engine was used, among others, in the Stout, Dyna, Toyota Forklifts, Corona and Crown.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Pieter die mates op die 4y termostat housing is 70 mm.L/w die termostat housing op 4y in die Hi-Lux is reguit terwyl die een in die hi-ace in die vorm van n elbow is. Ek het n 4y hi-lux termostat housing in n goeie toestand vir jou as jy belangstel. Stuur vir my n watts up en ek stuur n foto vir jou.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

The Legend wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:33 pm Pieter die mates op die 4y termostat housing is 70 mm.L/w die termostat housing op 4y in die Hi-Lux is reguit terwyl die een in die hi-ace in die vorm van n elbow is. Ek het n 4y hi-lux termostat housing in n goeie toestand vir jou as jy belangstel. Stuur vir my n watts up en ek stuur n foto vir jou.
Selfoon nr 082 8seven 4632 seven
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Will measure the 22R tomorrow. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Dankie Dawie
Die Stout se afmetings is 75mm tussen die boute.
Sy thermostat se OD is 52mm
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

I couldn't get a vernier in there with the EFI plenum and with a tape measure I can't get a very accurate measurement. However I measured 72 / 73 mm so I think the 22R housing will work. It also has a similar take-off angle (about 45°) like the sample pic you posted. The ID of the housing looks like it is about 50mm or so, so it should be almost perfect (if the original stout thermostat OD doesn't match well enough you can substitute it with a 22R thermostat .... the heat ranges should be quite similar).

I'll send you a watsapp pic of the housing on my 22R. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Thanks a million Andy. 72/73 I can drill out if it is not close enough to 75
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

That's what I thought. Also thought that since it's also an "R" series motor, a lot of the design features will be the same. Who knows, it might be an exact fit. Hopefully it is. :winkx:

I also looked at some pics from a google images search and I see some have a threaded temp sensor port while others on't. Different models maybe, but mine has the port that is blanked off with a bolt. If you nhave a sensor problem and battling to find a replacement, you maybe could use the 22R sensor in that port or even use is as a bleeder (although the radiator cap is the highest point). :think:

Return to “Toyopet and Toyota Stout”