Seat Covers

Your view on different camping gear, off-road trailers and nice non-electronic gadgets
jason123
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota hilux

Seat Covers

Post by jason123 »

Hey guys
Looking at putting [url=http://www.4x4direct.co.za/shop/seat-covers-toyota-c-54_55/fortuner-caprivi-seat-covers-7-seater-p-839.htm]seat covers[/url] in my car. Done some research and come up with Escape Gear, Melvill & Moon, Takla products and Thuli. Has any body had any experience with those companies ? I am looking for the best set possible? Please can you guys give me some advice on what to do ?
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Re: Seat Covers

Post by Hilux 1 »

welcom Jason,
sorry i cannot help, got leather seats so no need for those goods.

How about some pic of our van.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

jason123 wrote:Hey guys
Looking at putting seat covers in my car. Done some research and come up with Escape Gear, Melvill & Moon, Takla products and Thuli. Has any body had any experience with those companies ? I am looking for the best set possible? Please can you guys give me some advice on what to do ?
Hi Jason. welcome!

For which Hilux and what is you estimated budget?
jason123
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by jason123 »

Howsit, Thanks for the responses, quicker than i thought, I drive a 2011 legend 40. I just bought it second hand and the interior is still in great condition and i want to hold the value when it comes time to say goodbye. It has front seat side air bags and obviously this is a safety critical issue when choosing. I also do small fishing trips with my close friends just for a good time but that does result in wet gear, and spilt beer if you know what i mean ??
jason123
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by jason123 »

I have no pictures yet but i will get onto that:)
jason123
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by jason123 »

Interesting that you say that its because you have leather that you don't need seat covers ?? i also have custom leather interior and that is the reason i am looking at getting covers? I have been looking around and it seems to me that Takla products is the only 100% water proof seat cover manufacture? they are more expensive though? i wonder if its necessary to get 100% water proof covers?? I have also become aware of load liners.... But don't know how well they work?? Its a lot of money to play around with and i want to make the right decision. Some advice would go a long way for me ??
cruiserhj60
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Edenvale
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 DC

Post by cruiserhj60 »

I have used these people , and have been pretty happy.
http://www.jackalberrycanvas.co.za/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They are in the Honeydew area.
I fitted them to my first Mercedes Vito, and moved them to my second Vito.
I have only replaced the seat cover on the drivers seat. Bottom only.
Now over 7yrs and about 380000km.My wife has them on her Suzuki SX4.
Regards
Trevor
jason123
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by jason123 »

I have looked up Jackel berry but i found they are not waterproof??? im not sure but i think water proof is a must have?? :?: :think:. Thanks for the post tho. This forum rocks :yahoo:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

jason123 wrote:I have looked up Jackel berry but i found they are not waterproof??? im not sure but i think water proof is a must have?? :?: :think:. Thanks for the post tho. This forum rocks :yahoo:
Personally I do not think 100% waterproof is a must.

They are more there to stop dirt and chafing!

Fitting covers on leather seats is def. recommended, my wife's Tuna has covers on also, had em washed the other day and after 3.5 years the seats look like brand new :thumbup:
cruiserhj60
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Edenvale
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 DC

Post by cruiserhj60 »

I tend to agree with Mark on this one.
I fit seat covers and extra floor mats on every vehicle I buy. I so enhances the resale value after a few years.
I have Escape covers on my Hilux. Came with them fitted. Second hand.
I am not so sure that they are waterproof. They do however appear a bit thicker than the Jackalberry's on the Vito and the Suzuki.
Regards
Trevor
jason123
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by jason123 »

Thanks for the responses guys. What seat covers does your wife have ?? This is such a mind block for me, really am stuck hey. Aside from waterproof how are the other features like safety ?? the legend 40 has air bags in the seats ?? Safety is very important. My understanding is that Takla has a Toyota approved air bag zip for the seat and escape gear has another system they use. I am worried that i loose the function of the air bag?? any thoughts on that ??
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

jason123 wrote:Thanks for the responses guys. What seat covers does your wife have ?? This is such a mind block for me, really am stuck hey. Aside from waterproof how are the other features like safety ?? the legend 40 has air bags in the seats ?? Safety is very important. My understanding is that Takla has a Toyota approved air bag zip for the seat and escape gear has another system they use. I am worried that i loose the function of the air bag?? any thoughts on that ??
The larger suppliers will have these features built into their covers. I have seen them.

Just as another thought, rather buy darker material than lighter material, you don't see the dirt as quick on the darker :thumbup:
jason123
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by jason123 »

Yes colours are a big one as well, i don't think escape gear can give me a black set of covers because i don't think that you can dye canvas black ??? and no other colours will match my interior. Maybe i should just go with my gut and stop over thinking it and just get the more expensive Takla seat covers .... :confused:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Tried Uthuli?
jason123
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by jason123 »

I have seen Uthuli and i must be honest i personally don't like the way they fit the car hey...
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

jason123 wrote:I have seen Uthuli and i must be honest i personally don't like the way they fit the car hey...
Then I think you should call Melville and Moon.....
shakir
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7

Post by shakir »

Hi all, had a set of Escape seat covers and was not happy with them and changed to M&M :thumbup: They seem to fit better !
Phat Cat
Racing snake
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Fortuner

Post by Racing snake »

At what cost?
jason123
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by jason123 »

Im getting the feeling that Escape gear and Melvill & Moon are the seat covers of choice ? I don't quit understand why though ? Any body want to explain there preferences ???
jagermeister
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Postmasburg Kalahari
Vehicle: 2012 Hilux D4D D/Cab 4x4 XGS Full suspension Long range tank Onca Front and Rear Bumpers 12000 Winch Roof Rack Light Bars Snorkel Rock Sliders
Club VHF Licence: X 90

Post by jagermeister »

Ive got escape gear by LA Sport and wow what a pleasure :thumbup: :thumbup:
ImageImageImageImageImage
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

jagermeister wrote:Ive got escape gear by LA Sport and wow what a pleasure :thumbup: :thumbup:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Why do they vibrate..... :mocking: :mocking: :mocking:
jason123
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by jason123 »

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Winner :yahoo: :lmao: :lmao:
I have decided that i am going to go with my gut and get Takla products!!! much more expensive But well worth i feel !!! You get what you pay for right ?? Well i will see :D: If any one is interested and considering getting covers as well let me know and i will update it once i have got them and let you know how well they work :) Thanks for all the input guys !!! Hilux club forum.... where have u been all my life :yahoo:
qcb020
Town: Irene
Vehicle: Fortuner

Post by qcb020 »

Try Stone Hill Manufacturing seat covers. Best quality, service and pricing. I have had mine on for 4 years now and they are still superb.
johanvb
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Welgelegen Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Legend 45

Post by johanvb »

I recently bough a set of Mellville Moon Seatcovers from DOCJ on the 4x4community site...pse call him on 013 6926942...speak to Willem..they had them on special for R3999 delivered I think...I took the charcoal colour. very happy.

Return to “Camping gear, Trailers and Other Non-electronic Gadgets”