Unichip P&P or Software(map)

Revo discussions
RobbyHiLux40
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota HiLux

Unichip P&P or Software(map)

Post by RobbyHiLux40 »

Howzit gents :wave:

I recently took delivery of a 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 AT 4x2.

I am looking at having some performance upgrades done. I am just trying to make up my mind on a Plug & Play unit or rather loading Software(mapping).
I will be doing the full De Graaf exhaust to accommodate the ECU performance upgrade.

What i need some information & help on is the following:
  • Which is the better option?
  • What brand is the better brand, software & P&P chip
  • Will Toyota ever be able to pick up the software for warranty claims.?
Thanks in advance :thumbup:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: Unichip P&P or Software(map)

Post by ThysdJ »

A P&P chip is a gamble at best, because the chip is tuned with "generic" maps and not specific to your particular engine. On some engines you might get brilliant results and on others it could cause damage to your engine. These chips are made to increase the turbo boost and the fuel pressure in the fuel rail. That will increase your EGT's and cause serious damage, like cracked heads and even holes burnt in pistons.

A diesel engine's greatest enemy is heat, especially in the head. Driving for long periods with high EGT's causes excessive heat buildup, and then stuff cracks and melts.

If you want to do performance enhancements, then do a chip which is tuned specifically for your vehicle's engine. And please make sure you do it at a reputable tuner.

Software upgrades/changes are all good, but will only be as good as the guy behind the laptop. Unfortunately as with everything in life, if you pay with peanuts you are going to get a monkey doing the work. Do your research well.

I see you are in Cape Town, then go and see Kosie Swanepoel at KSD. He understands Dastek Chips if you ant to go the tunable chip route, and he also knows a lot about software tuning. He is also the only guy I would trust who will work on my vehicle when it comes to this.

Then.. probably the most important part.. you are going to loose your factory warranty. That is a given. Not saying dont do it, all I am saying be aware if the subtropical fruit hits the blower, be prepared to clean up the mess yourself and dont expect assistance from Toyota SA.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

+1
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
RobbyHiLux40
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota HiLux

Post by RobbyHiLux40 »

ThysdJ wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:21 pm A P&P chip is a gamble at best, because the chip is tuned with "generic" maps and not specific to your particular engine. On some engines you might get brilliant results and on others it could cause damage to your engine. These chips are made to increase the turbo boost and the fuel pressure in the fuel rail. That will increase your EGT's and cause serious damage, like cracked heads and even holes burnt in pistons.

A diesel engine's greatest enemy is heat, especially in the head. Driving for long periods with high EGT's causes excessive heat buildup, and then stuff cracks and melts.

If you want to do performance enhancements, then do a chip which is tuned specifically for your vehicle's engine. And please make sure you do it at a reputable tuner.

Software upgrades/changes are all good, but will only be as good as the guy behind the laptop. Unfortunately as with everything in life, if you pay with peanuts you are going to get a monkey doing the work. Do your research well.

I see you are in Cape Town, then go and see Kosie Swanepoel at KSD. He understands Dastek Chips if you ant to go the tunable chip route, and he also knows a lot about software tuning. He is also the only guy I would trust who will work on my vehicle when it comes to this.

Then.. probably the most important part.. you are going to loose your factory warranty. That is a given. Not saying dont do it, all I am saying be aware if the subtropical fruit hits the blower, be prepared to clean up the mess yourself and dont expect assistance from Toyota SA.
Hi Thys

Thanks for the info & detailed reply, I really appreciate the clarity.

I do understand what you say about the chip etc. I have spoken to Kosie and he recommended doing the Unichip with the De Ggraaf exhaust. I will maybe go and have another chat to him regarding the software mapping options.
He is also the only person i would want to work on my bakkie as i am well aware of his name in the business ;-)

I have spoken to some Toyota owners and they have done claims with clutches etc. with their tuned (chip & software) with no issues from the dealerships.
Are there some dealerships who are more "MOD" friendly when it comes to things like this?

Thanks,
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

If you spoke to Kosie you are in good hands.

Remember when you do a warranty claim the dealer passes that claim on to Toyota SA and they then decline it because of performance upgrades, which your warranty conditions strictly prohibit.

There are dealerships who will actually do the enhancements, chips or software, (and score financially from it) and say it will be Toyota approved, but when the proverbial hits the fan they pull up their shoulders. Be careful about that. Some of them remove the chip/software and then do the claim from Toyota SA as if the vehicle is still stock standard, but this is plain skelm.

It will always be a gamble, and if you are prepared to take the risk of owning the damage, should it happen, then go for it. many people drive for many 100's of thousands of km's without any problems, you might be one of them.

I had a P&P chip in my Hilux for a year, got super performance out of it, but it started going into limp mode after some time so I took it out before it could cause serious damage. I then had the injectors looked at by Jose from Udel in Stellenbosch, who gave me the assurance that they are still inside spec.

Look, a finely tuned turbodiesel can perform very nicely. One just needs to do it right and be aware of the possible consequences.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Chips...I can tell you way more than I am willing to type!

The short version: Run fast and far from the guy whom promises you the most gain. What you want is safe power.

On a turbo diesel, more fuel = more power = more heat. Heat kills engines.

You need a chip that is tuned on YOUR car FOR your car.

I only use Unichip and has put more miles on Unichipped vehicles that most people drive in a life time - and not one single hiccup!

Before committing to any chipping or tuning, always ask about what will happen if the engine pops as a result of the chip. The guy that tells you he will remove the chip and send the car to Toyota....I think you get the picture?

Can said guy afford to have a new engine installed to your car? If a guy only started his tuning career 3/4/5years ago and still operates from the boot of his car, do you think he can order you a new engine today?

What I like about the Unichip is that it can set every parameter on your car the way your or the tuner wants it, also a very nice feature is the anti-theft feature which I will not eleborate further on a public forum but ask Kosie about it.

I know some dealers actually sending brand new cars for Unichips before delivery.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

+1 on what Thabo said. If you are going to chip it there is only one and that is the UniChip Q. In the unlikely event that something goes wrong with the chip you can always bypass it and go back to factory settings. Even if you are somewhere out in the sticks. Re-mapping the ECU means that you only have the one setting and if it was stuffed up and starts giving errors at some point you are stuck and need to get it to someone who can re-do the mapping. The immobilizer function was one of the main reasons for installing a Dastek in my D4D. The 4 different driving maps you have access to are also a great feature. Drive it on "economy" which gives you better than standard performance anyway and to me was a very comfortable and relaxing map for everyday driving with absolutely no risk of damaging anything and set it to ""play" mode when you need the extra power. Then you still have a map for towing and a map to restrict performance when someone else is driving your bakkie. Lastly it always amazes me how much the re-mappers ask considering that they only change the mapping (software) and do not install any hardware.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Like Mars said, the restricted setting a brilliant if someone else has to drive your vehicle!

Unichip has a new product almost ready for launch - more a real time limiting function, eg on roads with a 60km/h limit, the vehicle can only go to 60km/h, and no more. I drove a test unit a while ago and the limiting is smooth and subtle. I can see the benefits for fleet owners and am sure fleets will see massive savings on fuel, tyres, maintenance and speed fines.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “2016 - on - Revo Shape Hilux”