Revo discussions
Streetracer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: 3.0 d4d 4x4 auto fortuner 2011

2.8 Hilux Unichip Q4

Post by Streetracer »

Here is the before and after of the 2.8 Hilux Venom Racing chipped this week.

Its got a 5 map switch with the following modes:
1. Emmobliser
2. Stock Map
3. Towing Map
4. Consumption Map
5. Venom Performance Map

This Hilux is extremely strong and driving back to Klerksdorp he got an avarage of 6.1L/100 from 8.2L/100 in stock form.
Attachments
20170107_080010.jpg
Blackie gd6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Edgemead
Vehicle: Hilux dc 2.8gd6 4x4

Re: 2.8 Hilux Unichip Q4

Post by Blackie gd6 »

Dude!!, that's a huge gain in torque!., Are you still getting similar consumption figures though?., also is it a piggyback unit cause my revos only got 3k on the clock, TSA gaurantee and all that , but I want to need it! Cost fitted?

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk
Streetracer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Streetracer »

This Hilux only had 1k on the clock when chipped. It gets about 1.5km/l more after the chip in the Venom performance map. He will test consumption map aftet a few tanks.. first he is enjoying the power.

Yes its a piggy back with 5 map switch and all 5 custom tuned maps you look at about R8750. Reverts back to standard in 5 minutes.

Hilux is a beast!
Blackie gd6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Blackie gd6 »

Sounds swt, but about double what I want to pay!, do you really use the other 4 maps?

Streetracer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Streetracer »

Well this guy wanted optimal for all conditions. I have the same setup in my fortuner and its brilliant. However if you only have the one map its tuned for consumption on partial throttle and performance when the accelerator is more than 50% open. So its better in everyway.

You can always add the map switch and additional maps at a later stage if you wanted to. The map switch is R850 and additional maps are R500 more. So not taking it is only a R1350 saving. The expensive part is the piggy back harness to avoid cutting wires.

I challange any plug and play chip to beat this set up.
Streetracer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Streetracer »

Here is my tuna in the performance map against my father in law's 3.2 ranger.

Tuna decat and unichip auto 4x4. 3.2 ranger only decat auto 4x4.

https://youtu.be/SwYPVJ4OupY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 2.8 Hilux murders my tuna after the chip. I will take a video once we get time to play.
Blackie gd6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Blackie gd6 »

That videos going to be interesting!. Thanx for the info, last question, do you know of a reputable place in the cape town to have the unichip Q4 fitted and what gains can I expect if I have my revo decatted?

Streetracer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Streetracer »

I've heard great things about Koos Swanepoel in Cape town. If you are worried about warranty i would not remove the cat. The gains from removing a new cat is not worth the risk. A car with 120k on the clock will see a worthwhile gain from removing the cat. If you build a down pipe however you will see a gain in power.

But chip alone you will be happy trust me. I drove in this 2.8 again today and its wild.
Blackie gd6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Blackie gd6 »

Had the Q4 fitted last week by Izak at dynotech,150.5kw/520nm.,.. Now this female dog be rollin!!.And the kicker...The consumption has dropped from9.4.to8.6lt/100... Looking for excuses to drive somewhere!.

Streetracer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Streetracer »

Glad to hear.. the GD6 makes amazing gains with chip only and its an awesome drive. The power is just never ending.

Congrats and enjoy.
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: bethlehem
Vehicle: 98 Nissan Patrol GRX, 1996 Hilux 2,4 D S/Cab SFA, 2007 Merc CL 500

Post by petri oosthuizen »

Petri/Etienne:

1) Does this affect low down torque. like in crawl mode, or not?
2) Whi in GP/FS can do this - like in REALLY good??

..........daai Hilux hardloop al klaar mooi - wil nie weet hoe hy NOU sal perform nie!!
" Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' Corner, and knowing Joe wants to go home early tonight"...….Max Baer
Streetracer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Streetracer »

petri oosthuizen wrote:Petri/Etienne:

1) Does this affect low down torque. like in crawl mode, or not?
2) Whi in GP/FS can do this - like in REALLY good??

..........daai Hilux hardloop al klaar mooi - wil nie weet hoe hy NOU sal perform nie!!
Hi Petri2

Die towing map is ook n 4x4 map so hy word met fueling sterker gemaak weens jy onder die turbo crawl. So hy is verseker better in crawl.

As jy GP toe sal ry stel ek voor jy ry verby en gaan na Venom Racing toe in Witbank. Dricus is ongelooflik goed baie mense ry van JHB, Kimberly ens. na hom toe. In GP sal ek voorstel RGM.
TJL
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kliprivier
Vehicle: Previous Luxes:1998 Toyota Hilux SFA 2.8TD DC 4x4, 2 x 2.8D single cabs, 3.0 DE, 3.0 d4d x 3, 4.0 V6 Current : 2.8 GD6 4x4 D cab

Post by TJL »

Hi Guys, does this mapping/chip affect the warranty? what is TSA say about this ?
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Post by Jaws »

Everyone who chips their bakkies gets excited by the Amazing fuel consumption figures displayed by the ECU

Meanwhile the actual fuel consumption has gone up as the extra fuel added by the chip to increase the power goes unmetered by ECU hence the lower figure shown by the ECU
:thumbup:
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Post by Jaws »

TJL wrote:Hi Guys, does this mapping/chip affect the warranty? what is TSA say about this ?
It most definitely does. But most guys just unplug them before a service .

Which in my opinion is rather unethical.

We had a member here who burnt holes in three different D4d engines each time with WOT and overfueling from the chip.
:thumbup:
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Jaws wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:53 pm
TJL wrote:Hi Guys, does this mapping/chip affect the warranty? what is TSA say about this ?

We had a member here who burnt holes in three different D4d engines each time with WOT and overfueling from the chip.
The question is which chip did he use? And the rest of the engine health before the chip?

I also know of an engine that popped BUT it had over 400 000km on AND the injectors where faulty, yet he insisted on having it chipped/remapped to the max.....then you certainly can't blame the chip, can you?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
TJL
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kliprivier
Vehicle: Previous Luxes:1998 Toyota Hilux SFA 2.8TD DC 4x4, 2 x 2.8D single cabs, 3.0 DE, 3.0 d4d x 3, 4.0 V6 Current : 2.8 GD6 4x4 D cab

Post by TJL »

Jaws wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:53 pm

ok.....now you see now :shock: , I agree on your statement, won't risk losing a claim on my new 2.8GD6 due to that.....will keep it std.. :thumbup:
Kaaskrul
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2018 Hilux X-Cab 4x4 Dakar

Post by Kaaskrul »

The Racechip and the likes that plug into the common rail, the ONLY thing it does, is push more diesel. You will get overfueling, and you will kill your engine. These chips also raise the EGT temp do very dangerous levels.

To bring EGT down, you need to increase boost, the only chip so far that can do it is the Unichip.

The Unichip dont give more fuel only, there is various places it makes adjustments, so you gain a 5% here on boost, 5% there on timing etc etc etc, and at the end you get a nice package with safe and reliable power.

Stay away from Torque chip and Race chip and the rest. If it plugs in only on your fueling system, STAY AWAY.
Kaaskrul
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2018 Hilux X-Cab 4x4 Dakar

Post by Kaaskrul »

When I was at KSD with my D4D, I had a chat with Kosie. They tested these Race chips etc on the dyno, and he confirmed, they do make the extra power they claim, but he told me if you saw how high the EGT temps went, you will get a heart attack.....
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Kaaskrul wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:42 pm When I was at KSD with my D4D, I had a chat with Kosie. They tested these Race chips etc on the dyno, and he confirmed, they do make the extra power they claim, but he told me if you saw how high the EGT temps went, you will get a heart attack.....
I agree 100%.

You want safe power, not just 'more power'.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Birra
Town: Springs
Vehicle: 2018 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 D/C SRX 4x4 A/T

Post by Birra »

Hi guys,

One very nice feature the Unichip Q offers is to monitor the engine heat via existing temp sensors on the GD-6 series engines. On the D4-D engines an additional EGT probe had to be installed at the exhaust manifold. The purpose of the EGT temp monitoring is to pull back the map when the temps get too high, or near dangerous levels. This is why the Unichip Q is such a good option. Pricey, but good!

Return to “2016 - on - Revo Shape Hilux”