Spacers vs handling

Revo discussions
Sdshikux
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux

Spacers vs handling

Post by Sdshikux »

I recently became the owner of a new Hilux 2.4 GD6 double cab. I have changed the wheels to something more suitable for the occasional weekend 4x4 trip. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight or feedback on the spacers that the guys use to lift the body
1. How does it affect the on road handling if at all?
2. Does if afffect any other parts in respect of maintenance or durability e.g the cv joints

Thanks
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Spacers vs handling

Post by ChrisF »

Hello Shaun

WELKOM by die forum.

Speak to the guys at 4x4Direct about the spacers they stock.

Handy to "level" the vehicle.

Off course this will not do the same as a proper off-road suspension, but then it costs a fraction of the price ...

Handy to give you that bit of clearance you might want off road. It buys you the time to kit out your vehicle and comfirm what you want to do long term, then buy the off road suspension when you are ready.
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Hi Shaun,
Welcome to the forum, here is a link to the item you are referring too:
http://www.4x4direct.co.za/strut-spacer ... -of-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We do have a branch in Boksburg. :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5

Post by lukestoyzx »

He's asking about a body lift! Did mine years ago, easy job for two guys, basic tools and a few tins! Steer clear of the above mentioned strut spacers! Very dangerous when not fitted correctly and other modifications done accordingly.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Shaun just for clarity, there are three types of spacers :

1) Wheel spacers - if you want your rims and tires to sit "wider" on the vehicle. Clearly not the spacers you were asking about. And not good for the wheel bearings ..

2) BODY lift spacers - some people want to raise the actual body higher above the chassis, typically to fit larger tires. Were you asking about these ?

3) Suspension spacers - "Discs" that gets fitted between the shock mount and the body to raise the whole vehicle and to create extra ground clearance. This works, but within limits !! As pointed out in a previous reply, go overboard with this one and your shocks may well get damaged as your bump stops are no longer functional ....
Sdshikux
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Sdshikux »

Thanks guys I was referring to the body spacers ! I think they come in 20mm to 40mm ? I was just asking because I don't want to change to much for now as the vehicle is still under warranty. I am unsure whether these body spacers will affect the cv joints in the long term or any other moving parts ?
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5

Post by lukestoyzx »

You unbolt the body from the chassis and they sit between the factory rubbers and the body. Has no effect on any moving parts when done properly!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Return to “2016 - on - Revo Shape Hilux”