Uri 4x4: RFI

Discuss any other type vehicles here.
chopper

Uri 4x4: RFI

Post by chopper »

I need technical info regarding the URI 4x4 plse
It originated in Namibia and a manufacturing facility was established in Waltloo, Pretoria as part of Ivema (Pty) Ltd
Indications are that manufacturing of the vehicle (in the RSA at least) has been terminated?
Construction of the Uri is/was based on the Hilux SFA and we are presently operating a single vehicle with 15" wheels
We have access to a (large) number of 7.50R16 tyres and we are considering the possibility of running the vehicle on 16" wheels
The wheel arches/bays are quite big and might very well accommodate the bigger wheels?
Any SFA operating with 16" wheels out there?
Thank you
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoorsdorp
Vehicle: Silver Hilux DC 2.8 GD-6 2016

Re: Uri 4x4: RFI

Post by coetzer94 »

16inch wheels should not be a problem, although it depends on the profile of the tire (width of the sidewalls)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working on my bucket list only makes it longer
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Depends on the offsset of the rims. If I am not mistaken if you try to fit Vigo rims on SFA the spokes catches the front calipers and you have to install wheel spacers.

Worth trying somebodies rim before you buy.

Yes, them Uries were SFA Hiluxes built with metal bodies. Chassis, engine, everything pure Hilux. Factory closed long ago. There was somebody else who tried the same thing but were not as good as the Uri. Uri's are legendary among the Nambian farmers.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

My buurman het 'n fabriek in Watloo gedeel met wat ek glo die Uri ouens is/was.

Ek sal by hom hoor....as dit dieselfde bende is as die waaraan ek dink, was dit maar 'n spul muishonde...
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

The original Uri is a pipecar 2x4 built by Evert Smith in Aranos Namibia, on his farm which he still does. Probably mostly hilux parts. :D:

Later they built the Uri on Hilux under carriage. You donate the hilux or under carraige and they change into an Uri in Witvlei area. Not sure to what extent Evert was involve in that. To get tenders form SA Police etc. they moved to SA. The rest I dont know.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
chopper

Post by chopper »

Thank you all :thumbup:
The manufacturing facility at Waltloo seems to be non-existent (indications are that it closed down quite some time ago)
I understand that the Namibian facility is still up and running
I intend getting a set of 16" steel rims in order to try out the 7.50R16 tyres on the Uri

Return to “Any Other Vehicle”