Map Codes - at last an easy way to navigate

Tell us about any other interresting gadgets you saw.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Map Codes - at last an easy way to navigate

Post by pietpetoors »

I always wondered who screwed up the who GPS coordinate thing. You have degrees, decimals, decimal degrees, etc.

Now there is at longs last an easy way to enter an address and navigate to it.

What they did is they divided the whole globe into 5 meter square blocks. Each block has a code.
Guess it must be like a GPS coordinate that has been encrypted.

You will find the best deals on 4x4 Accessories at: 7K336.3JZ6

Apparently Tom Tom already use it on their GPSes and the rest of the world will follow soon.

They also patented the whole thing, not to make money but to make sure somebody do not screw it up again like with the GPS coordinates. So there will hopefully always be only one standard version of your map code.

Check out http://www.mapcode.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Re: Map Codes - at last an easy way to navigate

Post by Haboob »

Pieter, how do I now work out on which 5m block I stay in on my given home address? :laugh2: :lmao: :blackeye: :surrender:
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Ag nee man... die coordinate is mos glad nie so moeilik nie
To God be the glory
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Pieter, how do I now work out on which 5m block I stay in on my given home address?
If you need to give the address to the courier, use the 5 meter close to the bell at your front gate.
If you give it to a friend, give the 5 meter block close to the front or rear door, depending on how good your friendship is.

If you search for your address on their web site it just gives you a code according to your address, I guess it would be more or less that 5 meter where your stand and the road meet.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Seems like they already managed to screw it up.
If you have a South Africa code like MG.J6Z and you enter it on their site under the "international" context, then it just gives you an error.

Seems like it is better to always use the international code,which in the example code will be 7K336.3JZ6
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Probably good for GPS and computers, but with paper maps the co-ordinate system works quit well and logical
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"

Return to “Other Interresting Gadgets”