Setting choke on 4Y

If you would like to discuss the functionality of this web site or have any suggestions, please out it here.
alexth
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux DC 4x4

Setting choke on 4Y

Post by alexth »

Hi all. I have a 88 Hilux 4x4 DC with an original 2.2. 4Y motor. I have had endless trouble with idling, starting etc. Anyway, I now have an electronic distributor which seems to have helped quite a lot. However, my choke is set so that on start up, the motor goes to about 2000rpm. This is surely not necessary. Originally, my hilux started first time every time at about 1000rpm then settled quickly to around 700rpm. I need to set the choke down to 1000rpm. Can anyone tell me how to do this please?
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Re: Setting choke on 4Y

Post by JohanM »

Alex,

When I had my 4Y the choke on mine was set to be running at 1500 rpm when cold and then it gradually dropped as the temperature increased. 1000 rpm is a bit low as when the choke opens up and the motor in not yet at full operating temperature the idling can drop to low causing the engine to stall at a inconvenient time.

Set it to be at 1500 rpm cold start with the choke flap fully closed. That will help the engine reach operating temp quickly and smoothly.
Johan Marais
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tim86 »

Alex you will most likely be looking for something called a 'Fast Idle Adjusting Screw' (I am not familiar with the 4Y carb, only the 22R's). This screw limits the idle speed when the choke is operating. An example of this is on page FU23 of Chapter 6 of the 22R manual available here: https://www.hilux4x4.co.za/manual/

Unfortunately there isn't a manual easily available for the 4Y, fortunately I believe the carb has a lot simpler of a warm up procedure than the 22R's which is riddled with complicated step down cams etc.

Hopefully another member can confirm this.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

On the side of the carb (I think it faces the cab) is a circular black choke controller with a wire attached to it. You will notice that it's held in place with a circular metal flange that has 3 screws.

Setting it up is a two part procedure - start with the motor cold - you loosen the 3 screws enough so that you can rotate the controller unit and with the intake pipe removed you will see the choke butterfly at the top of the carb barrels. Rotate the controller so that the butterfly not quite fully closed, but just starting to open. Nip up the screws so that it cannot move and start the motor. Once warmed up check that the choke butterfly is fully open.

If it has not fully opened the controller is weak and should be replaced. You might be able to get away without replacement if not fully open but almost fully open when warmed up .... in that case loosen the screws again and rotate the controller to the point that the butterfly reaches the fully open position. Bear in mind that this adjustment will affect the cold start position of the choke and the only way to see if it's going to be OK is to check what it does at a cold start.

Be sure to secure the 3 screws and replace the inlet pipe after you're done. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

P.S.

If it still revs too high on cold start with the choke, adjust the controller when cold so that the butterfly is about only 5mm open. Once you test it and it still revs too high, you can adjust the choke in small increments to be a little more open when cold. Tedious, but if you have a weak controller it can be worth the effort .... replacement units are not cheap.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Web Related Discussions and Suggestions”