Electrical puzzle

If you would like to discuss the functionality of this web site or have any suggestions, please out it here.
Daanbaard
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4x2

Electrical puzzle

Post by Daanbaard »

Hi Everyone
Please I need advice with a funny on my 2004 KZTE DC
All of a sudden while driving the Batt discharge, Low engine oil and Fuel filter Warning lights all came on at the same time.
Engine runs fine and everything else seems to work
So since it was close to service time I did a lube service and replaced the Fuel and other filters, but warning lights stayed on
Then I checked the charging voltage and it showed that the Alternator was not charging at all (11.6V)
So I took it out and replaced the Brushes and Voltage regulator on the Alternator with brand new ones
Still no difference, Charging at 12.4V now but warning lights still on
Now where do I go from here ? ? ? ? :beg:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Electrical puzzle

Post by Mud Dog »

That's why it's called "electrickery". :D:
Does your alternator have the diode pack built into the regulator? Usually not the case. 12.4 is too low, you need to be getting between 13.8 and 14.2. Could be that the diodes are playing up.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Daanbaard

Post by Daanbaard »

I think it is
The regulator is inside the (Denso) Alternator with a heatsink on it
I replaced that with a new one
Could something else drain the current ? if so where should I start disconecting to isolate where it could be ?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Diodes are usually separate from the regulator, inside the back end of the alternator. If the diodes or one of them is faulty you won't get the full voltage output. It could be that this is also what's triggering the other warning lights.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Daanbaard

Post by Daanbaard »

Thank you very much
I have taken the Alternator out and will take it in to be tested tomorrow
Daanbaard

Post by Daanbaard »

Hi Everyone
Thank you so much for the support
Turned out it was the Alternator. Some winding wires broken on the armature ( No idea how that can happen )
Got it back today, Put it back and all is working 100% again
Thanks again.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

That is an unusual fault and also wonder how that happens. Glad to hear that it's sorted. :thumbup:

Return to “Web Related Discussions and Suggestions”