Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Conquest second air intake?

Post by george »

Howzat.

As most of you know I am Luxless at the moment :slap: For the time being I got myself a very nice Conquest Sport.It was my late mothers car and it was really a one lady owner car.
Anyhows what I notice is that there is a second air intake that runs strait from the manifold.Surely that cant be good for performance or am I missing something.My plan is to remove the pipe and maybe get a nice silicon bend and try and get some more cooler air.Or fit a snorkel :twisted:
Here is some pics
1.jpg
Atleast i am using my gazebo again
2.jpg
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Re: Conquest second air intake?

Post by JohanM »

George, leave it as is, it is the hot air intake that works with the automatic choke system on the vehicle to allow it to warm up quickly in cold weather.

Had also a vehicle like that, and kept it std as it proved to be more economical on my 1300. Also mine drove allround better with the std air intake fitted. Even managed to get 750 km on a tank in city driving before the light came on.
Johan Marais
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

JohanM wrote:George, leave it as is, it is the hot air intake that works with the automatic choke system on the vehicle to allow it to warm up quickly in cold weather.

Had also a vehicle like that, and kept it std as it proved to be more economical on my 1300. Also mine drove allround better with the std air intake fitted. Even managed to get 750 km on a tank in city driving before the light came on.
Dankie Johan.
Hoe groot was jou tenk om 750km te kry
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Standard Size op hulle is 60L en ek het so by 52/55L die 750 merk gehaal... op 55L het die reserve liggie al gebrand.
Johan Marais
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

JohanM wrote:Standard Size op hulle is 60L en ek het so by 52/55L die 750 merk gehaal... op 55L het die reserve liggie al gebrand.
Ek het nou die dag 15km/lt gekry toe ek agter my trek lorrie gery het. :thumbup: Vir 450km het ek tussen 80 en 100 km/h gery.Het amper 'n paar keer aan die slaap geraak :blackeye:
Oupa Stig
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

My vrou ry haar Tazz soos my skoonma haar besemstok ry - soos 'n besetene!
Die kar is 13jaar oud, en op die werk - en - skool run kry sy 13 km/l... Daai tazz is amazing!
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

George i had the same argument as you so i took that round thing off and disabled the link so it stay permanently open. Cannot see any difference. My tazz use to be great but now on 180000 km the valve stem seals are caput
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

The 1300 2E motor wasn't one of Toyota's best, although popular. Most of them will start using oil way before 200K and the performance and consumption is nothing to brag about. I bought one to safe fuel and it was heavier on fuel than my 2L Jetta and it handled worse than my old Kombi. The 1600 was a real improvement on both performance and consumption, but like i said before, Toyota makes way better bakkies than cars.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Agree that is not the type of engine that will see 400,000 km. Our consumption is 14 km/l which is not bad. But before that we had a 1987 Golf 2 which was much older and bigger and which gave me 14km/l with a trailer
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

I beg to differ. My first Conquest reached 348 000 before I sold it. And the only thing I ever had to do (apart from standard services) was a waterpump at about 240 000km. And I also drove it like I stole it.
My second Conquest Tazz... 190 000 km in 3 years without skipping a beat. I once set my self a challenge to see how far I could stretch the 60L tank... 928km :shock: but I must add that I drove it like it was going to fall apart any moment.

Both these cars had the 2E motor and both were carburator. One was a 1987 model and the other a 2000 model. m2cw

Tapatalk_TapaError
To God be the glory
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

maybe we should also differentiate between the PRE 1996 "Conguest" and the post 1996 "Tazz" ....

Fond memories of the CONQUEST.

was sad to see how they stripped the Tazz down ......
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

ChrisF wrote:maybe we should also differentiate between the PRE 1996 "Conguest" and the post 1996 "Tazz" ....

Fond memories of the CONQUEST.

was sad to see how they stripped the Tazz down ......
Soos ek dit onthou was myne (die laaste van sy shape met die twee briekligte aan elke kant agter) die laaste Conquest Tazz. Ek het het hom gekry rondom Sep / Okt 2000 en net die volgende jaar het hulle die nuwe model uit gebring wat net as die Tazz bekend gestaan het.

Conquest Tazz
ImageImage

Tazz
ImageImage
To God be the glory
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Moet beslis saam met Cassie stem.Dis ook al my derde Conquest en ek dink daai enjins is baie taai.My eerste een is verkoop op 266k as ek reg onthou en hy het al die 4x4 roete gedoen op Wiesenhof :blushing: Hierdie een wat ek nou het.het 125k km op en dis die regte sport met A/C.Dis 'n 98 as ek reg onthou.O ja hy klou soos 'n neut om 'n dra.
Ek is bly hy het nie Power Steering nie dan sal die vrou ook met hom wil ry :tongue:

So die konsenses is maar om daai pypie weer terug te sit.Het vanoggend gery en hy vat langer om warm te word
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I think there is a huge difference in quality of pre '2000 models and thereafter. You can even see it with the hiluxes. I have seen some 2003 models like mine rust much quicker than mine. The 2005 tazz body is so thin you must not look at it too long then it will dent. The area above windscreen rusted so bad on the tazz that i had to have that part cut out and replaced with new metal. Something tgat does not happen to tazzes of previous century. Somewhere around the turn of the century me thinks Toyota's quality took a dip
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

So die konsenses is maar om daai pypie weer terug te sit.Het vanoggend gery en hy vat langer om warm te word
Yep .... only time you remove that hose to the manifold is that baffle above no longer works and no longer cuts off the hot air when the motor is warm. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Mud Dog wrote:
Yep .... only time you remove that hose to the manifold is that baffle above no longer works and no longer cuts off the hot air when the motor is warm. ;-)
Thanks Andy.So there is something that cuts off the warm air.I thought it was just sucking hot air all the time
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Yep, it's vacuum controlled and as Johan said, works with the choke.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

The 2E motor is to me what the 2.7vvti is today, undestructable.
My first Corolla had a 2E, back when they were only 4 speed.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
BosveldBul
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4-D 4x4

Post by BosveldBul »

My 4 speed 87 corolla 1.3 2E is getting a engine replacement now. It has done 525 000km trouble free. Did valve stem seals twice I think. Getting a 1.6 4af (16v carb) with 5 speed box now.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

BosveldBul wrote:My 4 speed 87 corolla 1.3 2E is getting a engine replacement now. It has done 525 000km trouble free. Did valve stem seals twice I think. Getting a 1.6 4af (16v carb) with 5 speed box now.
Thats a nice conversion.is it a straight forward swap?
BosveldBul
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4-D 4x4

Post by BosveldBul »

Almost. I'm not doing it myself unfortunately. It seems that the 1.6 must go with the 5 speed box, apparantly it won't fit on the 4speed without modification. Also needing a new wiring harnass. Could also be that I'm being BS-ed. We'll wait and see.

Return to “Other Toyotas”