2007 Yaris T1 - Water Pump bearing

Other Toyotas like Twin Cam Corolla, Tazz, RunX, etc
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

2007 Yaris T1 - Water Pump bearing

Post by CasKru »

Okay so a few months ago my mom's car started to sometime have this try bearing noise emanating from the engine bay. So the one Saturday I opened the bonnet and with the engine idling, took a piece of hose pipe holding the one side to my ear and pointing the other side to the different components driven by die belt. The one belt goes over the crank pulley, alternator, aircon compressor and the water pump. I was searching for a tensioner pulley (in my little experience, these are usually the first to start making these noises) but could not find one but I then figured out the alternator acts as the tensioner as well.

So after listing for a while, it sounded like the water pump. This was a bit weird to me as although this car is a 2007 model, it has only done 22890km. So while my mom is now in Langebaan visiting her sister and her car is park under my carport, thought it's now the time to sort this dry bearing sound out.

Ordered a new water pump from Toyota last week and picked it up this week as well as 5L of Toyota Coolant. All in all just under R1500. So today was the day and what I though was going to be quite an extensive job turned out to be quite quick and painless. Undo the 5 bolts holding it in place (ample room to swing the spanners) and withdraw it from the engine.

Now I told you all this to get to this part. This is where my "shock" came in. Now my mom bought this car brand new out of the box and the water pump I just removed looked like a pirate part sourced I don't know where. Having a close look saw it is actually an Aisin which is a good make but compared to the part I got from Toyota now... eish.

Here are some pics to compare so you can see why I was shocked...
1.jpg
1.jpg (49.37 KiB) Viewed 6886 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (75.33 KiB) Viewed 6886 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (51.9 KiB) Viewed 6886 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (48.42 KiB) Viewed 6886 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (73.05 KiB) Viewed 6886 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (56.61 KiB) Viewed 6886 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (47.42 KiB) Viewed 6886 times
8.jpg
(123.59 KiB) Downloaded 1047 times
9.jpg
(113.49 KiB) Downloaded 1047 times
As you can see, it just does not look like the proper thing. And when I turned it by hand, I could hear the noise and feel the bearings are rough so fault diagnoses was correct. :D:

So in any case, if you have a Yaris T1 with a dry bearing noise, chances are it could be the water pump.
To God be the glory
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Re: 2007 Yaris T1 - Water Pump bearing

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

I had the T3+, sold it on 80 000km without a days problem....The new owner worked with me, currently on 95 000km, also without a days problem. Apparently the T1's are similar to the Citroen 1000cc and Peugeot.....They share technology like Nissan and Renault or some sorts. But that part was probably fitted in the factory as a rework. Means it failed when the engine was "cold tested" and new part fitted to rectify the problem......
Sent from my iPhone
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Can see Toyota is in race mode,weight reduction on the new pump.Who am i kidding the just want to save material :mocking:

Glad you got it sorted Cassie with no hassles,otherwise mom would be upset.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Rebel 4x4 wrote: Apparently the T1's are similar to the Citroen 1000cc and Peugeot.....
Thomas correct, but the C1 Cirtoen and 107 Peugeot uses the Toyota Engine found in the T1 Yaris and the Aygo. Having driven the C1 as a company car for a while I have utmost respect for the 3 Cylinder engine from Toyota.

Quoted from wikipidea:

The Toyota Aygo (pron.: /ˈaɪɡoʊ/) is a city car sold by Toyota in Europe since 2005. All Aygos are built at the new factory of the Toyota Peugeot Citroën Automobile Czech (TPCA) joint venture in Kolin, Czech Republic. The Aygo was first displayed at the 2005 Salon de l'Automobile de Genève. The name "Aygo" comes from "i-go",[1] symbolising freedom and mobility.[2]

The decision to produce the cars was made on July 12, 2001, when the presidents of Toyota and PSA Peugeot Citroën, Fujio Cho and Jean-Martin Folz respectively, decided to produce a small car to share development costs. This project was called B-Zero. The Peugeot 107 and Citroën C1 are rebadged versions of the same car.
Johan Marais
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

At least the new one looks substantially better than the older one, so I doubt you would have any problems in the future, Cassie.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

interesting.

Cassie now humour yourself and get a quote from a dealer to change the pump ...
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

ChrisF wrote:interesting.
Cassie now humour yourself and get a quote from a dealer to change the pump ...
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yo.... I don't even want to think about it. :shifty: :shifty: The whole job took me less than an hour. They would probably charge 5 hours labour
To God be the glory
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Cassie many years back my MIL's Toyota Corolla was "using water" ....

Nobody could find the leak. So this one afternoon I am visiting there when she comes home from the shops. I offered to have a look - now bear in mind at the time I was a 20 year old kid visiting their daughter ....

Open the bonnet and saw what was wrong. There is a steel pipe running the length of the engine, from the water pump. Half way there is a T-piece, feeding the in car heater radiator. This T-piece cracked under pressure water was squirted onto the exhaust manifold ! Thus never water to be found ....

The repair would be EASY:
two 10mm bolts to be undone, and two hose clamps, then a bit of silver solder.

I offered to do this (as an air-con appy this bit of work was no challange) ..... My FIL is an accountant .... he politely declined and took it to the dealers. But then, for a flat battery he DID call out the dealers !!
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

ChrisF wrote:Cassie many years back my MIL's Toyota Corolla was "using water" ....

Nobody could find the leak. So this one afternoon I am visiting there when she comes home from the shops. I offered to have a look - now bear in mind at the time I was a 20 year old kid visiting their daughter ....

Open the bonnet and saw what was wrong. There is a steel pipe running the length of the engine, from the water pump. Half way there is a T-piece, feeding the in car heater radiator. This T-piece cracked under pressure water was squirted onto the exhaust manifold ! Thus never water to be found ....

The repair would be EASY:
two 10mm bolts to be undone, and two hose clamps, then a bit of silver solder.

I offered to do this (as an air-con appy this bit of work was no challange) ..... My FIL is an accountant .... he politely declined and took it to the dealers. But then, for a flat battery he DID call out the dealers !!
Ha ha... :lmao: They probably would trust you now Oom Chris.
Sent from my iPhone
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

Under correction, but did the T1 not get that three cylinder from Daihatsu?
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Borntofish wrote:Under correction, but did the T1 not get that three cylinder from Daihatsu?
Ek dink ook daai ding
To God be the glory
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

CasKru wrote:
Borntofish wrote:Under correction, but did the T1 not get that three cylinder from Daihatsu?
Ek dink ook daai ding
The Toyota KR engine family is a straight-3 piston engine series, designed by Daihatsu, which is a subsidiary of Toyota. The 1KR series uses aluminium engine blocks and chain driven DOHC cylinder heads. It also uses multi-point fuel injection, and has 4 valves per cylinder with VVT-i.The engine is also exceptionally light with a 69KG weight with all ancillaries.
Johan Marais
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

Self have a little aygo
And when looking around on the net, found few water pump failiures
Again not every one, so e do last however there were a few that can be considered premature failiure

:cooldude:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Other Toyotas”