Hunt Rooibokkraal & Rhino bullets.

Are you a serious hunter or just want to brag about your latest kill. Feel free to shar your hunting experience here.
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2004 Legend 35 Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Hunt Rooibokkraal & Rhino bullets.

Post by 3RZ »

I am one the first to say that a 223 is not enough gun for the bigger species but I needed to test the bullet performance of the 55gr Rhinos in my 223 after the dismal failure of the standard bullets on small game.

My son shot a Warthog boar at Rooibokkraal near Thabazimibi late afternoon, perfect heart shot. Perfect conditions and I was backing him up with the 308. The bullet was lodged under the skin on the far side. Perfect mushroom and weight retension. The warthog still managed to run about 70m with a shot through the heart. I am convinced that the 308 would have brought him down sooner and would have gone clean through on this shot, but it just shows you how tough they are. The tusks are very small in this area, maybe because of the brackish water - you cannot even brush your teeth with the water.
Warthog.jpg
Bullets in the phot from left to right:

55grain 223 Remington, Warthog, Heart Shot, recovered under the skin on the far side, retained weight 54.6gr or 99.27%

180gr 308 Win went through two Impala, recovered from under the skin on the far side of the second, retained weight 161.8gr or 89.88%

180gr 308 Win, shoulder shot on a big Warthog, retained weight 174.4 or 96.88%

300gr 375 H&H Blue Wildebeest shoulder to rump, recovered under the skin, retained weight 297.1gr or 99.03%
Rhino1.JPG
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Re: Hunt Rooibokkraal & Rhino bullets.

Post by Traveler »

Willem, congrats to your son on good shooting.

I've shot a few warthog, all of them shot very well. The only single one that I have ever dropped in its tracks was one that I brained with my .416Rigby.

Know what you don't know.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Hunt Rooibokkraal & Rhino bullets.

Post by Mud Dog »

Still like my .308 ... dropped two warthog in their tracks last season ... both shot through the 'centre blad' behind the shoulder. Works well for me ... I've dropped from duiker to kudu in their tracks over the years with minimal meat damage. But you need to know your weapon as well.

About 30yrs ago I had to chase down a rhebuck that was badly shot. Carrying my kit through rough mountainous terrain trying to follow the wounded animal by intermittent sight and a poor blood spoor was an arduous task that took the best part of the day. By the time I eventually got the animal and delivered the coup de grace I was peed off big time. To add to my woes, I had a long trek back with the added weight of the carcass. That long walk gave me a lot of time to think ... I realised that I was actually peed off with myself and all because of a poor shot that had been too hasty. It also dawned on me that all the time while I was giving chase, that poor animal was suffering at my hand. By the time I got back I was sad and depressed to the point where I no longer wanted to have anything to do with hunting. An old timer in the group convinced me to go out with him the following day and he coached me in a few basic skills, bagged himself a rhebuck in the process with no suffering involved and close to a track that was accessible with a 4x4. No long distance carrying of carcasses. I recall that I was so disgusted with myself that I gave my rhebuck away ... I never ate of it. Since that time every shot has been a 'sure shot' .... with many opportunities forfeited in favour of doubt.

This little story had two important outcomes ....
• It taught me that I had a lot to learn about hunting and the realisation that I was indeed still interested in pursuing it as a sport .... it set me on a path of becoming an ethical hunter.
• I also came to realise the importance of a 4x4 vehicle .... thankfully I couldn't afford one those days or I would have become a Jeep or Landy owner. When I could afford one, the Hilux was available and was a good, affordable choice.

The rest is history, and I do look back .... without regrets. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Hunting”