Fishriver Hike - May 2012

Want to stretch those legs? Get out of your Hilux and take a hike. Breath some fresh air. If you are interested in hiking post it here
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Fishriver Hike - May 2012

Post by Mud Dog »

pietpetoors wrote:Sorry Andy, by dikkes I did not mean you, was "talking" to JVDS
I am just editing my post all the time so you must refresh to see the rest
On worries Pieter, I understood that immediately ....... (no-one in their right mind would ever call me 'Dikkes' when at 70kg I weigh the same as my dog! :D: )

I've just seen the 're-freshed' report, nice pics, very scenic, and memories that will stay with you forever! :thumbup: :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Geluk Pieta.Bly julle het dit gemaak.

Watter groen goed het jy om jou enkels en watter stap skoene gebruik jy?
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

That looks really great Pieter... Would you do it again? or was it that tough?
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Very nice, Pieter! I would have loved to do everything you did........ except hike! My left foot is no longer suitable for long hikes but I will be with you in spirit!

Thank you for the most interesting report :)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Would you do it again? or was it that tough?
Yes, will do it again, can't wait for the next one.
Tough? not as tough as I thought it would be, but the last 3 hours of the 5th day was tough. Not because of the terrain but because after 5 days of walking you feel it on the legs and the bag gets very heavy even though in reality it is lighter than when you started.
Next one will be 6 days because I want to spend more time recording proper data and I want to take a proper camera with to take proper pictures. In 5 days you just walk and you do not really have time to think.
Watter groen goed het jy om jou enkels en watter stap skoene gebruik jy?
Daai is kamaste, in Ingels roep hulle dit "Gaiters". Dit keer dat sand in jou skoen inval. Sand in skoen = blase op toon.
Ek kon nie te koop kry wat ek gesoek het, toe maak Desiree (ons nuwe PA) dit vir my.

Skoene glo ek net in een soort en dit is Jim Green. Hulle word daar in Natal vervaardig oppad PMB toe. My vorige stel het 6 jaar gehou, die stel is nou 6 maande oud.
As hulle eers ingeloop is weet jy nie dat jy skoene aan jou voete het nie.
Sien
http://www.jimgreenfootwear.co.za/razorback_s.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.

Post by GI Jane »

Maybe the next one I will join you.... Only tough one for me is that down section on the first day, not too crazy about heights... Last time I was at Hobas walked the first little section and stopped dead in my tracks... very scarry... Anyway am still working on getting fit for next years Argus, so sure will be fit for your next hike.. remember 6 days = an extra days food.... more weight.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Elmi also have hoogtevrees. What is that in English?

Even with here scare of hights she went down. That si why it took us 2.5 hours. The manual says it should take 40 minutes to 2 hours.
Our main aim on the first day was only to get down and everything thereafter was a bonus

One day's extra food is only about 1Kg, if so much. Food is very light
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

I think if they have a crane to lift me down the first section, or a helicopter to lower me into the canyon I will be sorted... in English its just "fear of heights".. Problem is I just freeze up and can't move.. totally irrational, but we will see. Next time you plan it I can rethink it and fitness levels, would love to get those photographs there... But obviously camera equipment is limited because of the weight... Eish..
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Weight and dust
I could live with the weight but in order to protect my camera I would prefer to put it inside my bag. That would mean having to take off your bag each time you want to take a proper photo.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

pietpetoors wrote:Weight and dust
I could live with the weight but in order to protect my camera I would prefer to put it inside my bag. That would mean having to take off your bag each time you want to take a proper photo.
Always a tough one.. you want the best camera to get the shots, but conditions make the risk of damaging the camera and lens high... My debate when I take photo's at extreme 4x4 events. Anyway glad you are keen enough to do it again, it must have been a worthwhile trip...
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

nice Pieter would like to do it again some time maybe a hilux gtg
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Glad to hear you guys made it safe, thanx for pikchas and a lovely report, would love to join on the next one :thumbup:
Well done :clap:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

in English its just "fear of heights".
The actual word is "vertigo" ...... an English lesson for the day. :laugh2:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Royco
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: '09 D4D 3.0 Raider 4x4 D/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X88

Post by Royco »

Mud Dog wrote:
in English its just "fear of heights".
The actual word is "vertigo" ...... an English lesson for the day. :laugh2:
Vertigo is a sensation of spinning while stationary.
Acrophobia is actually the "fear of heights" ....
Guess how I know :lol:
Image Image Image Image
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Probably 'cos of the same reason that I know...! ;)

If I stand on a chair to change a light bulb, the whole world starts spinning around me.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Oops sorry ... thanks for the correction and lesson, Roy .... I have neither 'disorder', ... but I see I do get confused at times! :laugh2:

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Hmmmm...where is the rest of the report, I was just getting into it...... :wink2:
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Eish, will work on it again tomorrow, today was hek tiek
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

pietpetoors wrote:Eish, will work on it again tomorrow, today was hek tiek
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: reg so verstaan, net gewonder wat het gebeur verder ;-)
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

OOOOMS wrote:
pietpetoors wrote:Eish, will work on it again tomorrow, today was hek tiek
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: reg so verstaan, net gewonder wat het gebeur verder ;-)
x2 :thumbup: looking forward
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Finished, you can go read the rest :beach:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks for the informative report and pics. Well done Pieter and Elmi!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Dankie Pieter, nice report :thumbup:

Die kerk (links) agter langs die rooi en wit huis is waar my ouma gedoop is :thumbup:

Return to “Hiking, Mountain Climbing and Abseiling”