Fish River Canyon Hike

Want to stretch those legs? Get out of your Hilux and take a hike. Breath some fresh air. If you are interested in hiking post it here
Stubs
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Onrusrivier Hermanus
Vehicle: 89, Hilux D/cab 3.0L V6 Ford !!

Fish River Canyon Hike

Post by Stubs »

I am doing the 5 day Fish River Canyon hike starting on the afternoon of Friday 13th (sounds ominous already :blushing: ) and would love to hear if anyone has done it and pass on some dos and dont, tips etc, I plan to come back via Seldingsdrift and Richtersveld etc....

cheers Stubs
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Fish River Canyon Hike

Post by OOOOMS »

Stubs wrote:I am doing the 5 day Fish River Canyon hike starting on the afternoon of Friday 13th (sounds ominous already :blushing: ) and would love to hear if anyone has done it and pass on some dos and dont, tips etc, I plan to come back via Seldingsdrift and Richtersveld etc....

cheers Stubs
Hi S, I have done it twice.

Do's: do not overload your pack, do not exceed 25/30% of your body weight.
Comfy hiking boots, well walked in, plenty of pebble hopping(anckle protection) and river sand.

Don't: no fillet steak in your backpack.... :lol:

If you push a bit, you can do it in 4 day's
truckin
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2006 2.7VVTI Hilux SRX Single Cab 4x4

Post by truckin »

Hay Stubs

I cant really give you any tips on hiking, cause hiking is for fit people, besides i drive a hilux so i just drive to where i want to be, the canyon is really beautiful, Drove there once, There is a few rules of hiking (or so ive hear) wear good hiking shoes
take lots of water
dont walk after 12 (cause its lunch time :lol: )

I hope you njoy the hike,
“The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.”

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. - Not screaming like all the passengers in his car -
truckin
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by truckin »

Do's: do not overload your pack, do not exceed 25/30% of your body weight.

So stubs's you can only pack 10kg in your backpack :laugh2:

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. - Not screaming like all the passengers in his car -
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

truckin wrote:Do's: do not overload your pack, do not exceed 25/30% of your body weight.

So stubs's you can only pack 10kg in your backpack :laugh2:
And the rest is for beers.... :yahoo: :yahoo:
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

I just knew I was going to get this !!!! :taunt: ....well l was comtemplating filling my camelbak with Windhoek..?? but I suppose I can hang in there for 5 days...one question Mark...did you take a tent ??? I have a gortex bivvy bag from my army days which is light and 100 % water proof, just slip the sleeping bag in there.....otherwise I do have a vango 2 man hiking tent, (no comments boetie !! ) which I can split, I carry the inner and Erika can carry the flysheet...all she is worried about is that its cold at night and what she's gonna eat :boss:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Yip sleep in a tent, and yes it can get a bit chilly at night!
truckin
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by truckin »

Here's a few pics
Attachments
campingcartoon.1.gif
campingcartoon.1.gif (16.16 KiB) Viewed 7353 times
fish2.1.jpg
fish2.1.jpg (63.33 KiB) Viewed 7357 times
Fish 1.jpg
Fish 1.jpg (125.25 KiB) Viewed 7357 times
google map.jpg
google map.jpg (107.54 KiB) Viewed 7357 times

Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Stubs wrote:otherwise I do have a vango 2 man hiking tent, (no comments boetie !! )
He can't but I can :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

No man,What’s up with the tent story :twisted: we slept on a hiking mattress and in the sleeping bag only.
Take a small towel/cloth with as you will be doing lots of "river crossing". This is to dry your feet properly and prevent blisters.

There are water points these days along the route. When we last hiked the canyon the "short cuts were not clearly marked - the markings were small red arrows painted on the rocks.

Do an average distance per day as appose to having to walk your ass off some days. The water is good for drinking and take a pic of the Vespa if still around. I am not sure if they started selling beer at the pink palace again :beg: :beg: There were some baboons at the stop over point about 2/3 km from the pink palace.
Whatever you take into the canyon you need to bring out again. We would burn the paper (all paper) and close it up with sand – you know army style.

Palm springs or cypher springs is a must stop as well but that water is flippen hot.
The best part is having that 1st cold one on the stoep at Ai AIs. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Enjoy
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

Hi niel, thanks for that info !!!! We r lookin forward to it !!
Niel

Post by Niel »

stubsie what now about tent? Have I seen that tent before hehehe
arnize2
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4X4

Post by arnize2 »

Like Mark said, good hiking boots with ankle protection and just as important is good, thick hiking socks. Also make sure your toe nails are cut before setting off.
Attachments
DSCN1618-3.JPG
(65.15 KiB) Downloaded 1507 times
Doctor V
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Land Cruiser FJ62 3F

Post by Doctor V »

Stubsie - hope you are not already there as no hiking currently allowed!!! Hardap full to the brim and and Fish River nearly overflowing close to Mariental
'07 D4D Fortuner 4X4, OME with BF AT's
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

He decided to body-surf the Fish River.. and will set a Guiness World Record while doing it. He'll use his gortex bivvy bag as a sail.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
martinleroux
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Grootfontein
Vehicle: KZ-TE

Post by martinleroux »

Artikel in vandag se Republikein (Namibia)

Oud-‘recces’ helde in Canyon-drama

SUID-AFRIKAANSE stappers wat op Hobas aangekom het toe die Visrivier-spoelvallei reeds weens vloedgevaar gesluit was, het as vrywilligers ’n deurslaggewende rol in die naweek se aangrypende reddingsoperasie in die wêreldbekende spoelvallei gespeel.

Die kundigheid van twee lede van die groep, dr. Fritz Ras (’n veearts) en mnr. Igna Rautenbach – beide oudverkenningsoldate van Suid-Afrika se spesiale magte – het die knoop in die drama sonder voorval help deurhaak. Republikein het gister met mnr. Gerhard Badenhorst, ’n ander lid van die ervare groep stappers, gesels.

“Ons is baie dankbaar dit het so goed afgeloop,” het hy gesê.

“Van hulle (die voetslaners wat uit die vallei gered moes word) was diep in die knyp.”

Volgens Gerhard het hul geselskap Saterdag op Hobas aangekom, maar hulle moes weens die stapverbod verlief neem om ’n aanskoulike rit met die motor te gaan ry. Later het hulle veldwagter Max Witbooi se bakkie met ’n kano daarop by Hobas sien staan.

Met die terugkeer na Ai-Ais is by Max stilgehou, wat vertel het daar is 12 stappers in die vallei. Toe het het die son al begin water trek.

“Hy (Max) was manalleen,” vertel Gerhard. Sondagoggend was daar sprake dat die polisiehelikopter ontbied sou word, maar ná kajuitberaad is besluit dat ’n reddingspoging nie ’n oomblik langer kan sloer nie.

Gerhard, ’n bestuurskonsultant van Pretoria, Fritz en Igna, beide van Secunda, en mnr. Gert Fourie, ’n werknemer van Sasol op dieselfde dorp, is hierop die afgronde af.

Omstreeks 09:00 het hulle twee Amerikaanse stappers anderkant die rivier gesien wat met die kano na die duskant gebring is. Hierna het die soektog na agt Suid-Afrikaners begin, van wie drie op ’n eiland vasgekeer was.

Nie al die voetslaners was meer bymekaar nie. Volgens Gerhard het hulle die kano 12 km rivierop gedra en toe op vyf van die stappers afgekom wat al ses dae in die spoelvallei was, maar nog net ongeveer halfpad gevorder het.

Mnr. Fanie Kroukamp, ’n geoktrooieerde rekenmeester van Pretoria, is oor die rivier en het die voetslaners saam met twee Tsjegge uit die vallei help stap. Hierna is tot skemer dra-dra met die kano gestap op soek na die laaste drie voetslaners.

“Toe ons oor ’n koppie kom, toe sien ons hulle,” vertel Gerhard.

Die stappers was sowat 12 km voor Four Fingers, naby Bobbejaanberg, op die verste van drie eilande in die rivier vasgekeer. Hulle het met hul rugsakke bo-op ’n stapel klippe gesit om uit die water te bly. Een vrou se rugsak het weggespoel.

“Hulle was al drie dae daar,” sê Gerhard.

Gert en Igna het eers die drietal na ’n ander eiland gebring voor weens donkerte tot die volgende oggend gerus is.

“Die vloei was baie sterk,” benadruk Gerhard.

“Gewoonlik loop ’n mens kniediep deur die Visrivier, maar die water was ver bo-oor my kop.”

Gerhard is 1,95 m lank. Igna het Maandag met eerste lig met die kano oor die rivier teruggeroei na die nuwe eiland waarop die stappers was. Hierna is toue gebruik om die voetslaners aan wal te katrol. Hierna moes almal egter weer na die ander bank van die Visrivier om die nooduitgang by Kochasdrift te bereik.

“Twee manne het gestap en twee het geroei,” vertel Gerhard oor die laaste ent van die terugtog.

“Toe slaan die rooi kano om met al ons toerusting. Ons het darem vir Gert en Igna uit die rivier gekry en stroomaf van ons toerusting gekry waar dit op die water gedryf het.

“Ons moes ’n paar keer swem voor ons kon oorkom.”

Teen 12:00 was almal uit die vallei. Gerhard is bekommerd oor ’n oënskynlike gebrek aan beter gebeurlikheidsplanne om krisisse soos hierdie die hoof te bied. Reddingstoerusting is skraps en volgens hom is daar nie eens radio’s vir so ’n operasie nie.

Max, wat tydens die operasie herhaaldelik na Ai-Ais moes ry weens die gebrek aan kommunikasie, moes maar op eie houtjie sy bes probeer. Die groep het die rooi kano “wat soos ’n klip gesink het en nou op die bodem van die Visrivier lê,” die “Red October” gedoop.

“Volgende jaar kom ons weer stap,” sê Gerhard.

“Ons het die toer klaar ‘The Hunt for Red October’ gedoop.” •

Volgens die departement hidrologiese dienste het laat Dinsdag nog ’n golf vloedwater deur die Visrivier beweeg en op ’n hoogte van 1.68 m by Ai-Ais gepiek. Gisteroggend se lesing hier was 1,5 m.

Geen reën het die laaste paar dae in die land geval nie, maar volgens die weerkantoor is daar vandag opnuut ’n moontlikheid van ligte buie oor die sentrale hoogland tot in die suidooste.
arnize2
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by arnize2 »

Sjoe, dis nou vir jou 'n ding. Stubs gaan met 'n helse storie terugkom!!!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

daar is nou water in daai rivier.

So dit is meer "interesant" as normaalweg - aldus iemand wat dit al gestap het.
Tjokkie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Heidelberg GP
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux D4D D/C 4x4 (no mods...yet), Hilux 3.0 KZTE D/C 4x4 with minor mods

Post by Tjokkie »

My magtie...'n bitter klein wereld die.

Ek ken die Igna Rautenbach van Secunda; 'n smart ou wat as ek dit reg het, alreeds 'n Honorus Crux van die oorlog het ook...
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

arnize2 wrote:Sjoe, dis nou vir jou 'n ding. Stubs gaan met 'n helse storie terugkom!!!
I've been speaking to our intrepid Fish River Body-Surfer and Bakkie-Flyer... He's very upset, because his hike got cancelled. :shock: :shock: So dont expect any tales of bravery from him when he gets back on line again... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
arnize2
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by arnize2 »

Ag-nee, hy moet jou raad volg en die beste maak van hierdie geleentheid!!! :tease: :tease:
Niel

Post by Niel »

gewoonlik word hikes gestop vanwee daar te min water is maar kyk nou te veel water
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

Well luck was shining on me, worse rains in Namibia for something like 80 years and it hits the week I want to hike the fish river canyon, plus they opened the flood gates at the Hardap dam just to round things off.....hey ho,, moved to next year..... :bye:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Stubs wrote:Well luck was shining on me, worse rains in Namibia for something like 80 years and it hits the week I want to hike the fish river canyon, plus they opened the flood gates at the Hardap dam just to round things off.....hey ho,, moved to next year..... :bye:
Now you and SWABMO will have extra time to walk 'em boots in :thumbup:
Niel

Post by Niel »

pitty stubsie but worth the wait
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

yep was amped for it, bit more time now to get the better half a bit more organised :mocking: least we got our booking moved to Next year so didnt lose our monies......and save up petrol money so I can go in my truck...... :boss:
Doctor V
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Land Cruiser FJ62 3F

Post by Doctor V »

Stubsie - ask Allan to work his magic on your carb, and get the cold air induction!!!! Before the trip got 5.5km\l fully loaded. now started with 6 and worked my way up to 8!!!!! doing 110 obviously :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
'07 D4D Fortuner 4X4, OME with BF AT's

Return to “Hiking, Mountain Climbing and Abseiling”