Dutch Visitors

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
Shraek
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 4x4 2.4

Dutch Visitors

Post by Shraek »

Hi All,

I have a colleague coming to visit SA with his family at the end of July/August for 3-4 weeks. They are looking at hiring a camper van or sorts then doing a run to the Kruger Park and then all the way down the east cost to Cape Town.

It seems quite adventurous for Europeans and they are a bit concerned about safety.

Does anyone have any recomendations in terms of a company they could rent a vehicle from and then secondly routes they could look at taking.

I was thinking something like Joburg - Sabie, Kruger, St Lucia, Balito, Durban/Margate Hole in the Wall, Treneries, Kob Inn, Gonubie/East London, Jeffries Bay, Plett/Sedgefield/Knysna, De Hopp Nature reserve Agullhas Cape Town.

Thanks in advance!
My HILUX IS FOR SALE 1986 single cab SFA 2.4 4x4 PM me :)
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Dutch Visitors

Post by Mud Dog »

Can't help you with the camper hire but I might have a slightly different suggestion for the route through the E/Cape, something more "back-roadsy" avoiding the main thoroughfares and commercial centres / cities ...... probably even safer for them.

Durban / Margate then from Kokstad go through Lusikisiki to Mbotyi and spend a couple of nights there (fantastically scenic and beautiful place with 4 spectacular waterfalls in very close proximity, one of which falls directly into the sea from a cliff and there's a nice secluded beach at the lodge - Google it. Make a booking in advance - they only have a few cottages).

From there they can go down to Port St Johns and then do the Hole in the Wall / Kobb Inn / Trenneries. From Treneries they can cross the pont at Kei Mouth, maybe even sleep over at Kei Mouth or Morgan's Bay. Rather than stay in Gonubie / East London itself, they could camp at Arena Resort or Yellowsands which are just a hop, skip and a jump outside the city on the Gonubie side. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Bazzer
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2700i DC 4x4, Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D 4x4 Auto

Re: Dutch Visitors

Post by Bazzer »

Contact Gerbers - http://www.gerbers4wd.co.za

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”