Trip Planning help please

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
Ralphlo
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Hermanus
Vehicle: Fortuner D4D, Full OME suspension, ONCA Bullbar and rock-sliders, long-range tank,diff breathers, VPS, roof rack, dual battery
Club VHF Licence: TA98

Trip Planning help please

Post by Ralphlo »

I am looking at a 3 month camping trip, from the beginning of Feb to end April 2018. Starting in Hermanus and heading up the west coast towards the Richetersveld and Namibia, then onto the Caprivi and then back to Hermanus through Bots. It would be very difficult to make advance bookings, so in general I am looking for places that accommodate "wanderers" for 1 night or possibly 10, depending on my wife’s mood and interest at the time :D: I would like to be as flexible as possible, set up camp, and then explore around the area. I have a fully kitted 4X4 camping trailer with a RTT etc, suggestions on where to buy supplies on route.

I have put a preliminary route together as a starting point, to be modified as I receive more info.

From Hermanus (home) our first night stop is Bontebok National Park for a night or 2. We then travel through Tulbagh, my wife hasn't been there. I last visited Tulbagh in 1990/91 when I flew the helicopter used for filming the Rapport Tour cycle race. My crew and I stayed in the Tulbagh hotel and I had the best steak that I have ever eaten, either that or i was just very hungry. The SABC crew were a festive bunch and I remember them/us drinking "Padapolean" which was the local label. Sorry got distracted. The second stop will be in the Cederberg for 1 night because we have done a lot of that area. From Cederberg we travel to Namaqua National Park for the third night stop, from there we are going through Port Nolloth and Alexander Bay to Sendelingsdrif and to the Richtersveld. This is where I need help regarding where to camp, and the best sites in the Richtersved. We plan to visit Ai Aix and the Fish River Canyon. After the Richtersveld we travel to Hardap Dam for a night, I landed there when I flew up to Eros for the Namibian Elections in 1990, and from what I can remember it only needs 1 night. From Hardap Dam we travel to Waterberg Plateau Park for a night stop, and the following day its into Etosha, please help with the best Campsites to stay at. I am still working on the the rest of the trip and will post, and ask for suggestions when the next section is completed. Please make suggestions, places/sites to add to my route?
Please, any advice and suggestions will be most welcome.
When you come to a fork in the road, take it!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Re: Trip Planning help please

Post by Haboob »

Hi Ralph,
The information you give does not include the type of touring you want to do and what you want to see.
Are you looking for scenic drives, camp sites or do you want to do game viewing.
Do you want to drive mountain passes or river bed trails or both.
Do you have a daily budget or is it an open budget. There are many camp sites close together with big differences in price.
Do you need a camp with electrikery and showers or can you also be self sufficient enough to bush camp in the wilds.
You have also chosen a hot and wet time of the year in which to travel, but this may be your open window in which you can travel.
If not the best times would be to leave April and return at end of June. There-after the July/Augut winds and colder nights are more dominant.
This will make the scenery greener and prettier, but will keep you out of river beds, which could be dangerous at this time of year.
Is your vehicle 4X2 or 4X4, which will be a deciding factor where you can or cannot go?
I presume you two are traveling alone, and,
How old are you and what kind of experience do you have in this type of travel?
Mail me at this information at
edgew60atgmaildotcom
and I will sent you some information that you can use, with routes and campsites in different areas,
which you could stitch together to get yourselves a working route for your trip in a lifetime.
Regards,
Edge Westerberg
zero76four9444eight5
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”