Kasane to Maun

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
Hollies
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 4l V6 AT DC

Kasane to Maun

Post by Hollies »

Planning trip to Botswana August (dry season) 2017. Need advice on route from Kasane to Linyanti (3 nights), Khwai (2 nights) to Maun. Can we tow off road caravan - Kavango (Pajero) and Commander (Landi Disco 3) ?? Will stay on "main route" while towing.
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoorsdorp
Vehicle: Silver Hilux DC 2.8 GD-6 2016

Re: Kasane to Maun

Post by coetzer94 »

The sand is thick in some places, especially on the Savuti-Linyanti road and some of the cut lines from the Chobe south although the Moremi should not cause problems.
We have done the route with offroad trailers previously and I must admit some sections near Savuti were quite hairy though enough speed and smart driving will get you through. I do know a lot of people have done these routes with caravans before, but in my opinion, the final decision needs to be made based on your ability to recover a stuck vehicle when things go sideways (age, health, abilities and equipment)

If i may, i would suggest a night or two at Savuti, from Linyanti to Khwai is quite a stretch and there is a lot of wildlife in the Savuti area as well as proper ablutions. Linyanti is very remote and there are not much game (probably just our bad luck)or game viewing trails to drive, although the campsites are great.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working on my bucket list only makes it longer
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Re: Kasane to Maun

Post by Haboob »

Agree
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”