Terios - what should I know before buying ?

If we can have a forum for the Amarok, I see no reason why we cant have one for Daihatsu, which is part owned by Toyota anyway.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Terios - what should I know before buying ?

Post by ChrisF »

Most you know Elders and trips we have done :)

Elders only has two seats .... en nou is daar n klein ding wat moet saam ry .... (talk about mixed emotions)

We are currently looking at viable alternatives .... The one option would be a Terios 4x4, OZ tent on roof, 2/3 seat removed, packing system....

Factors to bear in mind:
- 4x4 - no diff lock, and no low range
- ??
- ??

I would appreciate some first hand feedback from those that have done long distance trips with the Terios.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Re: Terios - what should I know before buying ?

Post by niclemaitre »

My father is looking at buying one too. The 4x4 version is permanent 4wd and I'm pretty sure it has a center difflock otherwise the 4wd system would be mostly useless, lose traction on any wheel and you'd go no where
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

ChrisF wrote:Most you know Elders and trips we have done :)

Elders only has two seats .... en nou is daar n klein ding wat moet saam ry .... (talk about mixed emotions)

We are currently looking at viable alternatives .... The one option would be a Terios 4x4, OZ tent on roof, 2/3 seat removed, packing system....

Factors to bear in mind:
- 4x4 - no diff lock, and no low range (Got diff lock)
- ??
- ??

I would appreciate some first hand feedback from those that have done long distance trips with the Terios.
Sent from my iPhone
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Jeep Commander 3.0 Limited
Club VHF Licence: B338

Post by Ali3n »

As most of you know I had a Terios. I have also said it before and I will say it again. It is an extremely UNDERATED little 4x4.

Depending on what you want to do with it the choice will be between the Terios and the Jimny.

Standard the Jimny has a 1300 engine with low range and no diff lock. Too small and unless you remove the rear seats you have very little packing space.

You get 3 different versions of the Terios II. First is 2x4, second is 4x4 and third is 4x4 off-road and that is excluding the long wheel base 7 seater versions.

Differences between the 4x4 and 4x4 off road are as follow. It comes standard with 1500 engine, centre diff lock and no low range. It is also much more comfortable and has much more packing space. It is also designed for dune/sand driving so it is a dream in Sodwana and Mozambique and so on. The 4x4 has 205mm ground clearance and the off-road has 255mm clearance. The off-road also has the limited slip diff at the back which the normal 4x4 does not have. Excellent holiday vehicle for a family of 4. However if you want to go play with it you can to an extent. We have done Hennops, Rust de Winter jimkana, Buffalo gorge and my wife did the old Bosvark in Krugersdorp to name but a few BUT don’t think it is a walk in the park. Low range pays a big role. You need to keep the revs up, play with the clutch and MOST IMPORTANTLY read your lines carefully. We had major amounts of fun with our little monster…

If you get it make sure the first thing you do is put on decent AT tyres. If you get the normal 4x4 version I would also strongly suggest you get the off-road version coils from Daihatsu (think it was R1400 for the set) to gain the extra 50mm lift. No need to change the shocks as they work perfectly.

I hope I helped :thumbup:
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
ImageImageImage Link BrokenImageImage Link Broken
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Cell: 076 122 3744 E-Mail: fpanaino@gmail.com
Bear Grylls calls it "Ultimate Survival", overlanders call it "Camping"
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Ali3n THANKS :)

the bit on the limited slip diff of the "off road" version is most interesting.

We started with a Jimny. So I do understand the issues with packing :)

I think we are now past the trail riding stage, have been for some time. For us the ideal holiday is remote gravel roads to places where normal cars cant get to. That said, I can think of one or two spots along the Orange River trail where the lack of low range, combined with no rear-diff lock, would have put us at a disadvantage .... (yet we did similar with the Jimny ..)

Your last paragraph is GOOD news !! There are a number of 2010 and 2011 4x4 models available, seems it will be easy enough to upgrade these to the "off road" spec.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

niclemaitre wrote:My father is looking at buying one too. The 4x4 version is permanent 4wd and I'm pretty sure it has a center difflock otherwise the 4wd system would be mostly useless, lose traction on any wheel and you'd go no where
Nick next to the drivers door there is a "centre diff lock" button.

So the 4x4 Terios is in permanant "all wheel drive". When you NEED more traction, engage the centre diff lock and off you go.
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Jeep Commander 3.0 Limited
Club VHF Licence: B338

Post by Ali3n »

ChrisF wrote:Ali3n THANKS :)

the bit on the limited slip diff of the "off road" version is most interesting.

We started with a Jimny. So I do understand the issues with packing :)

I think we are now past the trail riding stage, have been for some time. For us the ideal holiday is remote gravel roads to places where normal cars cant get to. That said, I can think of one or two spots along the Orange River trail where the lack of low range, combined with no rear-diff lock, would have put us at a disadvantage .... (yet we did similar with the Jimny ..)

Your last paragraph is GOOD news !! There are a number of 2010 and 2011 4x4 models available, seems it will be easy enough to upgrade these to the "off road" spec.
The only real difference BESIDES the huge price difference is the off-road spec has 10kw more power due to it being fitted with branches and free flow standard, 50mm higher and LSD at the back. Other differences are standard with nudge bar and cheap spots, side steps and a 7" DVD player. I personally don't believe it is worth it. Would certainly want the lsd but not at that price.

Another thing is I was looking into was low range on the Terios. It can be done with some modification. Fit the Jimny transfer case which is electronic so no need to put in a kort stokkie and then you will be able to drive 2x4 as well. Sold it before I decided to try it but all research I did showed that it was possible.

Also don't forget... It is a TOYOTA. Look past the badge... Under the mirors, in the engine bay here and ther all says Toyota. :thumbup:
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
ImageImageImage Link BrokenImageImage Link Broken
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Cell: 076 122 3744 E-Mail: fpanaino@gmail.com
Bear Grylls calls it "Ultimate Survival", overlanders call it "Camping"
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Agree with most of the above. I was also in the market for the Terrios, but was waiting for the 2.0 L Diesel, which did not materialise, as it would have been too much competition for the Rav 4. Very capable on Sand especially & will get you most places for overlanding. Just stay away from steep rocky inclines if you are travelling alone. I would choose the Terrios ahead of the Jimny, just because of the size of the vehicle as well as the engine(1500 cc above the 1300 cc of the Jimny). The Jimny is a fantastic little vehicle, but the size & bigger engine of the Terrios, would sway my vote. For just two, you could manage in the Jimny, but with the third seat growing a bit every month, your choice becomes more limited. For piece of mind I would go for the off road version. With the smaller engines you also need to work more with the revs than what you are used to. Good luck with your choice.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks Edge.

Return to “Daihatsu”