Which one is more reliable?

If we can have a forum for the Amarok, I see no reason why we cant have one for Daihatsu, which is part owned by Toyota anyway.
yotaman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartenbos Western Cape
Vehicle: '99 2.7i Hilux 4x4 S/C

Which one is more reliable?

Post by yotaman »

From a reliability perspective (not off road ability) which one is better between: Diahatsu Terios and Suzuki Jimny? Thanks in advance
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: Which one is more reliable?

Post by Thabogrobler »

Both is Japanese, thus should be reliable, however, since Diahatsu left the country, spares might become a problem?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Baasvark
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

I'd think given the number of Jimneys currently on the road and the obvious support they enjoy surely the Jimney?

Spares also an important consideration.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Think reliability very much the same. Go testdrive both. New Jimny's road holding is horrible. Just drive on a straight road with some uneveness in the road and you will feel.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

Can't comment on the Jimny, but the Terios is becoming an issue with spares. There's a lot of cross over with the Rav4 older models but some components are Terios specific like the front shocks and are becoming an issue to replace. The engine shares a lot with the Avanza 1.5 block, so some common stuff there, but not all.
There is the Chinese copy of the Terios that I've seen a few of, so you might be able to find spares through them?
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

Don't know about the Terios.
I actually was interested in an older model of the Suzuki as a daily driver and Andy advised me against it as a daily driver for various reasons.
I know someone who has the latest model and the fuel consumption is not good although they have small engines. As Pieter states the road holding is horrible, that's kind of true. I guess because of the narrow tyres, vehicle height and small track with. Not sure if you know these facts and just querying the reliability only.
As Pieter states also, go test drive both. The Jimny is quite reliable though.
Just a note, if you do settle for the Jimny, change the factory alarm. When the key is used to unlock the door, the alarm automatically disarms. The thieves use a ground allen key which they hammer into the door lock and force twist, the door opens an the alarm is disarmed.
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
yotaman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartenbos Western Cape
Vehicle: '99 2.7i Hilux 4x4 S/C

Post by yotaman »

Tks, for the comments guys, I've decided against both and is now looking to either go for the previous (older version) Rav 4 or Honda CR-V. Meanwhile I've just had a spin in a Suzuki SX 4 (awd) and I'm blown away - wow! what a nice drive and solid vehicle! However, I think spares may become an issue with them too.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein

Return to “Daihatsu”