Toyota Condor Discussions
Johan Havenga
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Heidelberg Gauteng
Vehicle: Toyota Prado 120 V6

Overlanding Condor

Post by Johan Havenga »

I read Ali's article on their Kaokoland trip with great interest as The Pope (Ali's dad) did the trip in a similar vehicle that I own.

This trip has always been on my bucket list, but I always felt that the Condor is a bit lightweight for the trip.

Apart from the small mishap on Vanzyls Pass, I gathered that the Condor performed well.

I would like to hear from Ali and other what preperations, alterations and upgrades can be done to do such a trip. In particular how much fuel was carried and where as I only get 380km range from a 70l tank. (6 extra jerrycans maybe)
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Overlanding Condor

Post by ChrisF »

Johan a couple of tour operators use the 4x4 Condor in Namibia.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

You will need enough fuel to do about 1 000 km's plus a little of normal driving, depending if you want to drive around the Hartmans Mountains, if I remember correctly.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Met a guy in Chobe,runs a safari company,only uses Condors .He has a whole fleet of diesel ones.Not much mods except long range tanks fitted.Very able :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
emilevdh
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Underberg
Vehicle: 99 2.7 Raider; ex Defender tdi

Post by emilevdh »

A local tour operator uses mostly Condors and one or two old Landy's to take tourists up Sani Pass (not that Sani Pass is very challenging anymore, but they have been in user for quite a few years)
Johan Havenga
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Johan Havenga »

Yes I know these vehicles are quite popular with tour operators. Even contractors transporting staff on the open cast mines! I've got a that offered me a good price for mine.

However these cars are not without their flaws! One of them is the fuel consumption/range! Another is ground clearance which I've addressed with the Camil shocks and slightly bigger BFG's!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

That fuel consumption is not much worse than a 2.7 Hilux. The Hilux has a 80 l tank which helps a little bit. Some jerry cans will do the job

Bigger tyres helps with ground clearance but I also think the Condor is limited by its wheel arches for tyre size.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Johan Havenga
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Johan Havenga »

Yes, went from a 205/70 to a 215/75!
deonj
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Toyota Condor 4x4 3000D

Post by deonj »

We've toured Namibia twice with a 3000D 4x4, towing a 1000kg off-road trailer with RTT. Around 6000-7000km each time. In June / July 2010 we travelled up to Kaokoland via Purros, to Marienfluss, Syncro, Opuwo, Epupa, Ethosha, Katima, Vic Falls, home - four weeks. Did not go over Van Zyl's (we were going West / East but wouldn't have done it with a trailer anyway) but did go over Marble Mine pass or whatever it is called, North to South. Not nearly in the same category but no problems. Towed the trailer everywhere, including through deep sand. Car pretty much standard with minor mods e.g. 215/80 tyres, extra blade in rear leaf springs, Bilstein shocks (front with coil spring, similar to Camil), extra 45 liter Front Runner fuel tank, Lynx bash plates (Charles). Bought car new with Gearmax difflock already fitted. A year or so ago did the SAC gasflow/freeflow exhaust. Fritzie did +/- same trip in 2008 with 3000D 4x4 towing Imagine caravan - do a search and read his trip report. If not towing, I've read of a few Condors that traversed VanZyl's with no problems.
Tyrone D4D
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: cape town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D

Post by Tyrone D4D »

I actually saw a very nice 2005 2.4l petrol 4x4 today for R99000.

Return to “Condor”